Patong - The Wake

Patong2

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

The other side of the coin is that to relative "newcomers" to Patong, the bar and go-go scene is new and exciting and is probably something they haven't been used to in the past

Well, I am a relative newcomer to Phuket but it wasn't that long ago when there were two Tigers full of young attractive girls and a few very talented pole/hoop dancers - I wonder what they're doing these days? Virtually every bar on Bangla had girls dancing (well, nearly!) on top of the bars - has that actually been banned by the authorities?

I enjoyed Bangla on my last visit as it still has some life to it, albeit a pale shadow of pre-Covid times, and it's still a good place to watch the world go by. Phuket is still (mostly) beautiful and Patong, compared to my home town in the UK, is paradise - and I live on what is jokingly referred to as "The English Riviera" - it's a s**t-hole!

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

And lastly your comment regarding lady drinks was also spot on, and paying around 200 plus baht for a lady drink is ridiculous these days

Yes, but Xylo, you have always been very kind-hearted and generous to the girls - you only have yourself to blame if they see you coming ????

Surely you know as well as I do that once you buy them one drink then you risk opening the floodgates and they keep an eye out for you from then on - some months ago I told the story of why I stopped going to Blue Lotus after a girl there got nasty when I refused to buy her further drinks.

Edited by London Lowf

6 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Yes, but Xylo, you have always been very kind-hearted and generous to the girls - you only have yourself to blame if they see you coming ????

Surely you know as well as I do that once you buy them one drink then you risk opening the floodgates and they keep an eye out for you from then on - some months ago I told the story of why I stopped going to Blue Lotus after a girl there got nasty when I refused to buy her further drinks.

Some truth in what you say LLF, but as I go out infrequently these days, and don't visit the same bars then the "opening the floodgates" analogy doesn't really apply. More that the girls are "newbies" and not getting a salary, so they immediately ask for a drink, not realising that there is more to it than that, AND of course they are told by the owner to do just that.

As regards the Tiger bars, well I never was a fan of the new one, but Soi Eric, Soi Crocodile and a couple of others were great..........but that was then, this is now.

No matter what, I do object to paying 200 baht for a small glass of juice, or similar, for a girl to sit next to me and say nothing!!

As I said, Bangla has lost its allure for me, and the occasional night out to meet friends and have a small meal, is about the only useful purpose it serves.

In a way it's a shame that Bangla has lost its sparkle for you - it's probably only a matter of time before the same happens to me and I go off and marry an Esan girl and become a gentleman farmer!

But there are plenty of alternatives - you seem to enjoy the new place on the beach, and there are plenty of other bars and restaurants all over Patong, as you are well aware.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2

Good to read a more positive post from you and it's good to hear that Blue Beach Bar seems to be a success - I must admit that, after my visit shortly after it opened, i thought that its hidden-away location would scupper it. I look forward to trying it again when I return later this year.

Your friend needs to search online - scouting for girls (????) on Bangla is history!

Edited by London Lowf

On 3/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, London Lowf said:

In a way it's a shame that Bangla has lost its sparkle for you - it's probably only a matter of time before the same happens to me and I go off and marry an Esan girl and become a gentleman farmer!

LL, nobody's going to confuse you with a gentleman !

????

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, xylophone said:

That was pleasant enough, but the noise levels in both Bangla and the Sois was almost unbearable, and it reminded me of the point about losing it sparkle, because I really don't want to go out and get my eardrums blasted and be unable to hear what the friends whom I am with, are saying.

Well, I have no friends and drink alone - I also have more than 50% hearing loss and so maybe that is why I still found Bangla bearable and generally enjoyable.

Also, apart from the odd "Where you from?" and "You come alone?" from a new girl, most of my regulars bars back in Phuket now know that I am perfectly happy to be left alone.

The pubs in my local south coast town back home are, with rare exceptions, populated by loud and foul mouthed yobs (male and female) and I can't wait to get back to the relative civility of Phuket. My local Wetherspoon (a huge UK pub chain) feels the need to have three quasi-police uniformed bouncers patrolling the place every night of the week, even when there are barely a dozen customers on a Monday/Tuesday - several other town-centre bars here have a similar setup. Would you want to drink in a place like that? By contrast, the "security" on Bangla is very discrete and only emerges from the woodwork if a punter has very seriously over-stepped the mark.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good to get an update Xylo and I'm glad that you have recovered.

I only wish that I was there to be able to contribute to the forum - but at least a five-month holiday last visit means that the next one will come around quicker ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Street lighting is terrible with large areas left in total darkness at night.

Most of those street lights have been out for at least two years. Pre-covid it wasn't noticeable since all of the shops were lit, but now it's creepy and dangerous. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, xylophone said:

but then again Tuk Tuk drivers have never had great reputations here and are disliked by many

I wonder if the Bolt and InDriver apps might finally do some damage to the tuktuks. For a cheaper price you can be in a much safer car, not have to deal with the haggling, nor do you have to try to explain exactly where you're going. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I wonder if the Bolt and InDriver apps might finally do some damage to the tuktuks. For a cheaper price you can be in a much safer car, not have to deal with the haggling, nor do you have to try to explain exactly where you're going. 

I don't know much about the services you mention, however I do know that in the main, the Tuk Tuk drivers are very aware that they have to smarten up their act, and just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who wanted to get home from Bangla to Karon late at night, was charged 300 baht for that journey, which I thought was very reasonable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I don't know much about the services you mention, however I do know that in the main, the Tuk Tuk drivers are very aware that they have to smarten up their act, and just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who wanted to get home from Bangla to Karon late at night, was charged 300 baht for that journey, which I thought was very reasonable.

I don't have too much against Tuk Tuk drivers, of course I never use them, but I can't believe the sheer number of them, they fill up all parkings and some , which annoys me a bit..., no idea how they make money though, there isn't so many punters for all of them to go around...!  

Last night at 1am a couple were asking how much to Karon from Bangla, quote was 300b, they said no, they offered 200b and walked, further down a big 4x4 taxi offered them 250b but they still walked...., I thought due to so many tuktuk they probably get their price further down , but 250b for a proper taxi I thought was reasonable...!!!? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Patong2 said:

Tried the new/reopened restaurant apposite Red Hot in Ratuchit Rd last night

I meant to ask you about that restaurant, and its menu and food, because there has been a dearth of good restaurants around the place, however having said that, last night I wandered up Soi Sansabai and noticed a few more restaurants open, so a restaurant close to Bangla would be ideal for me.