Suzuki Swift or Mitsubishi Mirage?

Hi, am looking at either Suzuki Swift or Mitsubishi Mirage to buy, need just for running around town (not long trips) but would like a few comments from owners about what they find good or bad about either car. Mitsubishi are offering 5 years free insurance and 3 years servicing which is great compared with 1 year insurance and 3 years servicing by suzuki. Comments and advice appreciated.  

Hi Kwasaki

Having a test drive on Monday with the Mitsubishi not sure when we will get to drive a Suzuki, went to the main dealer here in Chumphon and they said the test car is in BKK!!! Wife said thais do not test drive normally just go and buy. I prefer to test drive to see what feels good. The Mitsubishi 5 year free insurance is very good I am guessing that would save around 50,000 as the Hilux truck is 16,000 a year to insure

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

Hi Kwasaki

Having a test drive on Monday with the Mitsubishi not sure when we will get to drive a Suzuki, went to the main dealer here in Chumphon and they said the test car is in BKK!!! Wife said thais do not test drive normally just go and buy. I prefer to test drive to see what feels good. The Mitsubishi 5 year free insurance is very good I am guessing that would save around 50,000 as the Hilux truck is 16,000 a year to insure

The Mitsubishi website states they are currently offering om the Mirage 3 years insurance and 5 years (or 100,000km) warranty/servicing, which is the reverse of what you originally stated, (it may be worth checking again). It also says that this offer finishes on 30th June, or though they may possibly extend it.

I have two Suzuki's not Swift.

Swift gets 3 stars, Mirage gets two.  If really in doubt find out which dealer in BKK has a demo. Get dealer to organize a test drive. (If they won't do that for you then they are unlikely to do anything else for you?)  Then get on the bus. 

Both are overdue for update and already have a new model in other markets. If not in a real hurry wait 6 months. 

That being said the fact that the Suzuki dealer is not falling over himself to get rid of an existing model might tell us something.  

Edited by VocalNeal

I think that is aimed at Honda Jazz, not Suzuki Swift. Bottom Note is the same price as the top Swift/Mirage.  That being said the OP said it was for him so he could get the bottom Note with manual etc.. 

Of course the one you show is the Nismo version which will not be 570,000 b!

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Hi Kwasaki

Deciding on what new car to buy a drive is essential  l would say,  looks alone are not enough.

Tell your wife when a man looks for a wife it's like buying a car, we don't just do it because may see something else we like better.  :laugh:

OK my terrier character has kicked in.

If the Mitsubishi being offered by your local dealer is the new one. 

2017-mitsubishi-mirage-hatchback-first-d

You get the Mirage because it is the newer model of the two. But it does have 14" wheels against the 15 for Suzuki.  If that matters to you. 

If one can get a test drive or wait for the new Swift then...

Edited by VocalNeal

7 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Take a look at a Suzuki Ciaz. It uses the same gubbins as the upcoming Swift and is a good small car.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

It's about the size of a honda city also. Much larger than the swift. The will make it more comfortable to drive also. We have had a swift for 4 years now. No major problems. I did get the front discs resurfaced though. I'd only got for the new swift if it had the new boosterjet motor in it. If not, I'd consider the mazda 2 diesel. More expensive, but much better fuel economy and a lot of tuning potential with a remap. 

Edited by DavisH

It's about the size of a honda city also. Much larger than the swift. The will make it more comfortable to drive also. We have had a swift for 4 years now. No major problems. I did get the front discs resurfaced though. I'd only got for the new swift if it had the new boosterjet motor in it. If not, I'd consider the mazda 2 diesel. More expensive, but much better fuel economy and a lot of tuning potential with a remap. 

I think the Ciaz has that engine, does it not?

i was looking  for a second car, i looked at the swift and found that the road noise was bad, i narrowed it down to an attrage, but now thinking about the note, 565,000 for the lower spec, 640,000 for the top model, both with alloys, automatic and push button start, the top model has intelligent 4 way around view cameras, forward collision warning, emergency braking and lane departure warning.

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

the top model has intelligent 4 way around view cameras, forward collision warning, emergency braking and lane departure warning.

So does Suzuki Wagon R in Japan. Base model in Indonesia is 334,000 Baht . Not available here though only as grey market if one can find one. 

I only mention as I may have a job there and Wagon R is marginally better than having a motorcycle. If all one wants to do is go shopping/golf or drive 90kms to running event.

Edited by VocalNeal

20 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I think the Ciaz has that engine, does it not?

Yes, the same 1.2 engine. It's good enough for around town and can easily cruise at 120 or 130km/h if needed. Ofcourse it can go faster, but not like to in such a small car. 

I have driving Mirage for 4 years now, and very happy with the car, it is very comfortable even for long way driving.

It is a 2013 Automatic with keyless system

I drive quit a lot and fare, so I convert it to PLG, and drive for pocket money  ;-)

IMG_0044.JPG

Edited by hellstens

On 6/25/2017 at 8:52 AM, stupidfarang said:

Hi Kwasaki

No, because they will give you a cheap ridiculous insurance that will cover your car at 70% maximum.

And I agree with your wife and Thai now, how stupid we can be in the west to pretend to know anything and understand how good is a car when we test drive it.

If I like the look, I buy it, but yes, it cannot be very wrong, I only by German cars.

7 hours ago, hellstens said:

I have driving Mirage for 4 years now, and very happy with the car, it is very comfortable even for long way driving.

It is a 2013 Automatic with keyless system

I drive quit a lot and fare, so I convert it to PLG, and drive for pocket money  ;-)

IMG_0044.JPG

Good for around town, have been told by an owner that two adults and two children on a long trip is a bit much for the car, slow on overtaking, they did say one adult and one child is ok for a longdrive

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

No doubt. Suzuki Swift is the better one. More Space. More confortable. Mature concept. 

Yes I do like the swift, but today we had a test drive in a Mazda 2, looks like we will go for the Mazda now as it is bigger, smooth ride, quite and has a bigger engine 1.3

It is 620,000 so more expensive than the swift but feel in the long run when the wife goes to see the family in Krabi the drive will be better. Also the no test car at our Local Suzuki dealer was a bit of a let down. As the wife said Thais do not test drive they just buy, but I like to get a feel for a car first.

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

Yes I do like the swift, but today we had a test drive in a Mazda 2, looks like we will go for the Mazda now as it is bigger, smooth ride, quite and has a bigger engine 1.3

It is 620,000 so more expensive than the swift but feel in the long run when the wife goes to see the family in Krabi the drive will be better. Also the no test car at our Local Suzuki dealer was a bit of a let down. As the wife said Thais do not test drive they just buy, but I like to get a feel for a car first.

The mazda 2 is a decent choice and meets eco-car phase two criteria. It has better fuel economy than the others. If you want more punch go for the diesel (base spec is 680K). The only drawback it is smaller in the rear seat and trunk compared to say, a ciaz. I have a swift (and civic) but would probably get something larger next. Perhaps an accord/camry/fortuner, etc. My ageing bones don't like a harsh ride anymore:)

note the fuel tank in the m2 petrol is only 35L it is 45L in the swift. 

Edited by DavisH

7 hours ago, Foozool said:

I never buy Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi cars don't work like their Mitsubishi ACs.

I rather to buy Suzuki. If it is the only option.

Sounds like an informed opinion. Not.

The mazda 2 is a decent choice and meets eco-car phase two criteria. It has better fuel economy than the others. If you want more punch go for the diesel (base spec is 680K). The only drawback it is smaller in the rear seat and trunk compared to say, a ciaz. I have a swift (and civic) but would probably get something larger next. Perhaps an accord/camry/fortuner, etc. My ageing bones don't like a harsh ride anymore:)
note the fuel tank in the m2 petrol is only 35L it is 45L in the swift. 

Don't get a current Camry if you don't like a harsh ride, unless the last one I used was a one-off.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Don't get a current Camry if you don't like a harsh ride, unless the last one I used was a one-off.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Threre should be a new one here shortly next year I believe. Already released in the US, but I guess the specs will be different. Supposedly much nicer and engaging to drive than the current model....now 200+ hp for the 2.5 model also. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.6.2017 at 10:39 PM, steve187 said:

i was looking  for a second car, i looked at the swift and found that the road noise was bad, i narrowed it down to an attrage, but now thinking about the note, 565,000 for the lower spec, 640,000 for the top model, both with alloys, automatic and push button start, the top model has intelligent 4 way around view cameras, forward collision warning, emergency braking and lane departure warning.

My wife bought the new Note top model. She has negotiated hard and got many extras on top. Leather seats, usb driverseat armrest, acoustic back sensors, dash cam, sunshades, carbon rain gutters, rubber mat set, fully comprehensive insurance for one year, all admission charges and a full fueltank.  Also the split back bench in the top model is useful. The car is 20 cm longer than the Swift. Long wheelbase and plenty of space in the fond. The note is not as flat as the Swift, in the interior the roof height is very good. Motorization is a bit thin at 80 ps and 1.2 liter, but is sufficient for Thai roads. Soothing automatic transmission. The kickdown is always enough to overtake on the country roads. The car convinced us with regard to price / performance compared to the Swift. Honda Jazz and Mazda 3 are significantly higher in price. The 3 meters cars like mazda 2, etc. were for us clearly too small.

Edited by tomacht8