Probe into temple funding frauds gain more evidence of corruption

rooster59

Probe into temple funding frauds gain more evidence of corruption

2406001.jpg

Investigation into the misappropriation of temple fundings continued with the anti corruption police finding more evidence and more funds being siphoned off by the gang which comprises both state officials, monastic employees and monks.

At least two government agencies handling corruption affairs are involved in the investigation. They are the Anti Corruption Division (ACD) under the Royal Thai Police and the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

NACC so far found more than 60 temples whose funds were siphoned off, amounted to over 100 million baht, all from the same gang.

Meanwhile the ACD police continued probing in the provinces.

They questioned abbots of three temples in Chumphon province in the South, and two admitted to have their funds siphoned off, not knowing that it was an act of corruption.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/probe-temple-funding-frauds-gain-evidence-corruption/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-24

Well what a surprise, not.

Posted this before but assuming only half the families in Thailand give 100 baht per week to the monks, and is possibly a gross underestimate, then that is 62,400,00,000 baht per year in cash to the temples.  or to put it another way it is estimated that there are 300,000 monks ( most probably only a fraction of that figure as the rest are possibly crooks or ex politicians escaping from justice).

But anyway that equates to 208,00 baht per monk per year.  A nice little earner. 

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Lets face it. Any serious investigation into any organization in Thailand from the police, to the politicians, to the boy scouts, is going to find theft, corruption and wrongdoing. It's how it is, so finding fraud in the heart of the temples, despicable as it is, is hardly a surprise. Let me welcome you to Thailand one more time folks.

well the biggest step forward is the fact that the current powers that be have recognised that there is a problem with the huge financial unregulated black holes that exist................for obvious reasons no elected government from the past would ever have wanted it exposed

Pedophilia issues hushed up for years within the western nations clergy....

Corruption within eastern nation temples....

Extremism preached withn the clerics of the Middle East!!

Theology teachings never anticaped such outcomes!

But...but all hope is not lost as people are comming forward and the issues are no longer hushed up!

Edited by observer90210

60 temples, 100 million baht, just the tip of the iceberg.

Almost every temple has corrupt people, almost all monies people donate are spirited away by crooked monks.

The latest thing here now is men only become monks because they know they can make more money than working.

I have contributed in the past to temples, mostly foodstuffs etc, not money, mainly to support the work they do with poor families and their children.

But having seen the scale of the corruption and grown increasingly suspicious not only of the "temporary" monks but also of the career abbots etc,

i have transferred my charity to the government run orphanages and mother and baby homes.

Most temples I have visited appear to be purely commercial operations.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Probe all you like, find all the evidence you can. 

It won't make any difference. 

Nothing will come of this.

That is the major problem here.. the people committing the corruption are not punished and often keep the money they stole. I have yet to see a case where the damages are paid for and people go to jail. The rice scam of fake G2G deals might be an exception and hopefully a precedent.

But the NACC has a bad track record in completing cases. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is the major problem here.. the people committing the corruption are not punished and often keep the money they stole. I have yet to see a case where the damages are paid for and people go to jail. The rice scam of fake G2G deals might be an exception and hopefully a precedent.

But the NACC has a bad track record in completing cases. 

You are far too generous in your assessment of the nacc's track record. 

On 6/24/2017 at 10:03 PM, rooster59 said:

They questioned abbots of three temples in Chumphon province in the South, and two admitted to have their funds siphoned off, not knowing that it was an act of corruption.

The easiest way to solve a problem is to deny it exists.

ISAAC ASIMOV, The Gods Themselves