Wedding ends in chaos as groom arrives with only half a dowry!

webfact

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

DSD ... I am soooo fed up with your systematic Thai bashing, your nasty, unintelligent, stereotyped statements about Thailand and Thai people.

And since you are obviously in front of your computer every day for endless hours (nothing better to do, sure?) it's difficult to read even one  thread without coming accross your haughty attitudes and white supremacist pose. You're as ubiquitous as you are unpalatable.

Will you give us a break and turn down the volume of your barking ? I won't even ask the usual question "why do you stay if you hate this country so much?" but it does boggle the mind.

DSD had some relevant observations  about this story. I am sorry, but I can not find any interesting observations regarding the OP in your post. You may correct me.

i remember a case some years ago, when parents did get a big dowry from a norway man. It was so much money that the father of the girl could divorce his wife and buy a new young wife. Happy life in Thailand....

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he had second thoughts and instead of making the bride loose face he made this plan. I love you but I don't have all the cash, I will remind my Farang friend of this if they have last minute jitters when there bid day arrives. 

25 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

That might be the case in your location but it certainly isn't in mine.

Basically, there are no rules in Thailand - other than where money can be extracted it will be. Where Farangs are concerned a dowry will always be expected.

I did see once case where the mother of a twice married daughter demanded a dowry from her current gik !!

Well ,if you're silly enough to pay for an married lady who has been married before so be it .I stick to what I know,Good luck (ps,it worked for me (: )

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sad part of this story is brides family are only interested in money, not the couples happiness only money.

The marraige is doomed before it has begun.

It is called customary and how they grow up generation after generation. What a moronic statement. Same as the adults will be taken care of by the children later on in life. It is Thai and customary. 

Sad part of this story is brides family are only interested in money, not the couples happiness only money.

Another reason to stay single in Thailand, girlfriends yes, marriage....hell no. 

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just shows how stupid the groom is for even bothering about a dowrie in the firstnplace.

Totally agree. Pay the GF a monthly fee, works much better, when she take off with another bloke you not loose dowry, gold, car, MC, house etc. etc. 

50 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is called customary and how they grow up generation after generation. What a moronic statement. Same as the adults will be taken care of by the children later on in life. It is Thai and customary. 

Your statement is nonsense, years ago yes but the times they are a changing.

So get with it.

Not sure why you say that.  His comment sounds more reasonable that expected.  These things don't always go to plan and if groom agreed to the sinsod then he knew the rules.  Easy to criticize.

Just now, The Deerhunter said:

Not sure why you say that.  His comment sounds more reasonable that expected.  These things don't always go to plan and if groom agreed to the sinsod then he knew the rules.  Easy to criticize.

You are not sure why i said that.

Ok i shall explain, when the only thing families care about is money the marriage is doomed, i know i have been there.

Ex wifes family were only concerned about money, all the time money money, money.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your statement is nonsense, years ago yes but the times they are a changing.

So get with it.

Ummm, Sorry Charlie. I am way with it and keep up with the time. It has always been up to the family and the amount was already settled on. Maybe for you it was negated as they know they will get it out of you sooner or later being the walking wallet. and this was plainly Thai to Thai and Issan folk for that matter. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Ummm, Sorry Charlie. I am way with it and keep up with the time. It has always been up to the family and the amount was already settled on. Maybe for you it was negated as they know they will get it out of you sooner or later being the walking wallet. and this was plainly Thai to Thai and Issan folk for that matter. 

At least you could have got my name right.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Ok i shall explain, when the only thing families care about is money the marriage is doomed, i know i have been there.

Ex wifes family were only concerned about money, all the time money money, money.

Disagree. But in some select situations perhaps. A provider provides and not every marriage is a match made in heaven. . 

1 hour ago, Gracas said:

I wonder. If I had of attended the wedding and after the 50K offered by the groom was turned down. If I then put down the 100K asked, could I have walked away with the girl?

I reckon yes!!

But she's off on her nocturnal occupation now; somewhere in BKK. So I think the would be groom is well rid.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

You've hit the nail firmly on the bonce. India was similar, only quite often they set fire to the bride (who's expected to provide the dowry) if she doesn't cough up.

I know it's traditional in these countries, but no matter how much I try, I can't get my head around how parents can put money before their kid's happiness. Maybe face is the culprit.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

A dowry only has to be paid if it is the brides First Marriage,One doesn't have to pay a dowry for Second hand wifes,That's a Thai Rule!

Are you for real Digger. Wish I'd known that 2 years ago. Might still have some dosh left!

17 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I am not sure why you have the idea that the brides family only are interested in money.  too am married & paid a sinsod & paid for the wedding.  We agreed to the terms in advance and that was the deal.  I gave her a budget to work to for the wedding and she came in on target so I kept my part.  My girl's family a country folk but no too badly off but there would have been no wedding without money to show the guests and my girl was and is 11 years later, still a traditional girl.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I read a post that said she was 51 too.

"Yesterday the father of the bride Bunsuan Wareesri, 51, said it was none of his doing and he felt sorry for his daughter."

And the source of the story, The Daily news quotes the bride as being 24 and the bridegroom as being 27.

Edited by sambum