New rules for cars over 7 years

kimamey

On 26/06/2017 at 11:31 AM, Kwasaki said:

The only thing l noticed this year with our 2008 Yaris and  l'm pretty sure about it was the over 7 year old car check cost more it was 200 bht. :biggrin:

Sure, for car and pick-up truck over 7 years old , just pay  the 200 bahts for the very quick check..... 10 minutes and it is done.... They do not check the serial number anymore using masking tape and pencil to copy it.  The certificate is not large with many stamps anymore,,,,,just a half A4 page with a QR code.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shady86

"Car road tax is cheaper every year after 5 years. "

Not so.

I bought my Toyota 4-door 2WD pickup in 1989 (that's right, eighty-nine), year 2532.

The tax did decrease from then to 2541 where it stabilized at baht 2,342, and it's still at baht 2,342 as of 2560.

The pickup is getting a bit tired but we keep it around for hauling stuff, handy, and after coming on 28 years, doesn't really have any  resale value.

FYI, the tax on our 2012 Toyota HiAce van, low top, is baht 1,600

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, kimamey said:

When I returned from the UK this month my wife told me there were new rules planned to make ownership over 7 years more expensive presumably to promote the car industry. As our Jazz is I think 5 years old now that could be an issue.  I can't find anything about this so if anyone knows I'd be glad to know. Ours was bought under the tax return scheme silo I suspect a lot will be coming on the market soon. 

I know in Japan they make it difficult over 10 years so a lot get exported to the UK where we drive on the left as well.  I had a Nissan Elgrand for about 7 years that was imported and I still miss it sometimes when I need the extra room. 

Well, I drive a 28 yrs old Nissan Sunny without any difficulty.

My insurance takes care of the check-ups and I pay the road tax and insurance every year.

It's as an other poster says more expenses for repairs and the like.

My insurance agent said as long I will drive the car it will be declared roadworthy.

:cheesy::clap2::guitar:

These nit wits who post Congratulations on your New Ride amuse me .I feel like congratulations are in order when I see Ferang here with a Ride 12years Old and looked after better than our new ones.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

Sure, for car and pick-up truck over 7 years old , just pay  the 200 bahts for the very quick check..... 10 minutes and it is done.... They do not check the serial number anymore using masking tape and pencil to copy it.  The certificate is not large with many stamps anymore,,,,,just a half A4 page with a QR code.

Not really saying it's expensive only again l'm not too sure but I think it may be cheaper if you get your CTPL gov ins from them as well along with test.

2 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Shady86

"Car road tax is cheaper every year after 5 years. "

Not so.

I bought my Toyota 4-door 2WD pickup in 1989 (that's right, eighty-nine), year 2532.

FYI, the tax on our 2012 Toyota HiAce van, low top, is baht 1,600

4-door tax vs 2-door tax.  ??

When cars are given their annual (? ) roadworthiness check, do the inspectors actually check emissions?  

I once saw a line of song taews being checked at the Chiang Mai centre, and the gadget for checking exhaust emissions never left the hook.

IMHO it's better to have an older car because the servicing is less complex. Registration costs don't seem to have changed for my 1989 Benz and 2006 Vios.

My mechanic in Chiang Rai services them for about 1000 baht including oil change, and they have always run well. So far, have passed the road test easily.

I've always made sure my cars are well maintained, and I know enough about them to sense when something is wrong. It's probable most of the defective cars in Thailand are not properly maintained, or when something is wrong it is ignored.

25 minutes ago, masuk said:

When cars are given their annual (? ) roadworthiness check, do the inspectors actually check emissions?  

I once saw a line of song taews being checked at the Chiang Mai centre, and the gadget for checking exhaust emissions never left the hook.

Yes they do....Or supposed too..

41 minutes ago, masuk said:

I have found it depends what test station you use.

My scoot was checked for emissions but nothing else, paid 540 bath they gave a nice china soup bowl and said come back in a couple of days and pick up my Road disc & DTPL & sticker. 

My Versys motorcycle which you take to a car test place they just rubbed frame & engine numbers & photo of rear,  nothing else,  paid 722 baht for DTPL & test pass slip.

Test 2008 Yaris brake check & photo only,  200 baht. 

I belive the safety check is some kind of emissions check, though I don't really know. What they check in 1 hour for 150 baht is beyond me.

i have a 15 year old Lexus and have had it checked prior to registration annually for the past 8 years. Nothing has cganged.

Sometimes the Generals come back from another country with these modern ideas. Of course whether they are practial here is another story. That Gen probably came back from Singapore where, I believe, you can't register a car older than 7 years. 

My (Thai) ex-wife also knew everything. For example, she insisted that you had to change your tires every year in Thailand and the stock market only went up. Marriage here can be very expensive.?

1 hour ago, masuk said:

I take my truck and the bikes to the testing centre next to the DLT place in Khampaeng Phet and for the last 2 or 3 years every car and bike was tested using the EGA Exhaust Gas Analyser.

The trucks and buses I don't know as they get tested at the DVLA compound itself.

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

And if you want, to know, don't ask to as Thai, and especially not a woman !

Well you can tell my wife that if you want but I don't think I'll bother.  I've seen her peeling small onions with a meat cleaver.

It does seem as if there might be something in this but so far I can't tell how more it will cost and if that will be a big issue.  I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to help the factories by promoting sales. Of course it won't help exports.

My local test centre checks lights (incl. height of dip beam), indicators, tyres, brakes, emissions, noise, & seatbelts.

I suspect many places don't bother with all of those - from what I see on the road...

Its a mystery and knowing yhe standards here, different tests fould even be done in different provinces. I'll ask my shop next year. I kind of assumed it was some kind of ritual blessing by the monks!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 6/26/2017 at 10:48 AM, VocalNeal said:

No but I believe cars over 7 years have to have a safety check before re licensing. Plus an engineer's certificate if it has LPG. I presume also CNG?

Your wife wants a new car? 

Yep. One of our cars is 7 years and we had to go to the safety check before licensing for the first time this year. No hassle. Very professional all with the appropriate test equipment. 

The insurers also won't let you take the car back to the dealer for minor repairs - body work scratches and small damage etc. They want a cheaper place! We insure our 7 year old Honda with Honda Insurance. We had some minor scratches and they told us to do this year before renewing the insurance as now we must go to non dealer or have to pay the difference. Not a big issue though.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Yep. One of our cars is 7 years and we had to go to the safety check before licensing for the first time this year. No hassle. Very professional all with the appropriate test equipment. 

The insurers also won't let you take the car back to the dealer for minor repairs - body work scratches and small damage etc. They want a cheaper place! We insure our 7 year old Honda with Honda Insurance. We had some minor scratches and they told us to do this year before renewing the insurance as now we must go to non dealer or have to pay the difference. Not a big issue though.

They jacked it up....?       sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.ca974a3d49725fb570bd54ccef63cc8c.gif

47 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Well you can tell my wife that if you want but I don't think I'll bother.  I've seen her peeling small onions with a meat cleaver.

It does seem as if there might be something in this but so far I can't tell how more it will cost and if that will be a big issue.  I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to help the factories by promoting sales. Of course it won't help exports.

Totally agree mate. I've practiced knife fighting techniques due to my involvement with various martial arts for over 30 years and collect pocket knives. Still amazed at what Mrs. BB can do to various vegetables, meats and fish with a kitchen cleaver! Never forget her "lesson"  demonstrating with a large Franfurter, cleaver and story about men who want mia nois and giks!!

For cars, one thing I notice with many Thai friends is they do like to drive new cars and not really want an old car if they can avoid it. Mrs. BB keeps on at the moment about changing the old one. And of course wants to move up and up 555!

Just now, Baerboxer said:

No idea what your're on about. Is the emoji demonstrating your hobby or something?

Seems you're not a motoring tech kinda guy....Did they jack it up....Well that means they put a jack under the car to raise it up to check suspension and ball joints, I have never seen this done but you posted they had all the gear...As for me clapping, that was a WOW that that happened to your ride......595363cf75fc9_thumbsup.gif.6d0f78089c14096ddc9d8190e17857ba.gif

Just now, transam said:

Seems you're not a motoring tech kinda guy....Did they jack it up....Well that means they put a jack under the car to raise it up to check suspension and ball joints, I have never seen this done but you posted they had all the gear...As for me clapping, that was a WOW that that happened to your ride......595363cf75fc9_thumbsup.gif.6d0f78089c14096ddc9d8190e17857ba.gif

Mrs BB went not me. She said they put it up in the air - I hope that's what she meant! 

But everywhere for everything is different here; all do their own thing. And if a head person changes, well then it's all change. So nowt consistent. 

Same on the insurance - slightly different story every time! But the premium keeps reducing, the work always get's done and it's easy to renew! 

I can stay here another 20 -30 years and still be as confused :smile:

Archived