New rules for cars over 7 years

kimamey

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, johng said:

16 ? Is that a mistake I thought they came out in 2011..so 6 years ? ? ?

I bought my Ford Ranger in 2006 and it was an updated version of the previous model Ranger at the time, so 16 years is quite feasible!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/26/2017 at 2:18 PM, kimamey said:

Thanks for that.  It will as someone else mentioned need a safety check but that shouldn't be a problem so long as the suspension had held together.

I'm a bit surprised to find my fears are unfounded as my wife said to me only last week "Your wife knows everything".

Not this time it seems. 

Give the poor girl a break!   She was confused when someone told her of the legal requirement for a 7 year old car to have a safety check (like a heavily diminished UK M.O.T.), before you can re-tax and reinsure the car.  For motor bikes , it is 5 years.  I believe the Thai version costs about 300 baht for a car, but bank loans may be available if the owner is a Thai.

At least your wife alerted you to something or other and that is a good start, particularly if she were to spot a wheel falling off or something quite minor like that. and actually bothered to tell you about it before you drove off.   Largely depends on whether she has your ATM number or whether you have made a favourable will, I suppose.  :sleep:

• 2 weeks later...

My Toyota is 18 years old, and apart from no power steering and wind down windows it's purring along beautifully  with240,000 km on the clock.

The last time (December 2016) it had to be taxed it was subject to a very  rudimentary  check of  brakes and lights.

8 minutes ago, emilymat said:

My Toyota is 18 years old, and apart from no power steering and wind down windows it's purring along beautifully  with240,000 km on the clock.

The last time (December 2016) it had to be taxed it was subject to a very  rudimentary  check of  brakes and lights.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

An 18 year old Toyota with a lower mileage than a 2 year old taxi....

A similar taxi would be far older in 3 years than a lightly used family car.

The 'checks' (rudimentary) sound exactly the same as the 'checks' they applied to my old GSX-R after an injury accident occurred. I actually joked to my (then) girlfriend in front of the tester 'it's a good job he didn't check the damn brakes'.

Before they regulate how often testing needs to be done, they need to extend effective testing strategy beyond blinking a few lights and assuming that means the subframe hasn't rusted half through.

3 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

The 'checks' (rudimentary) sound exactly the same as the 'checks' they applied to my old GSX-R after an injury accident occurred. I actually joked to my (then) girlfriend in front of the tester 'it's a good job he didn't check the damn brakes'.

Before they regulate how often testing needs to be done, they need to extend effective testing strategy beyond blinking a few lights and assuming that means the subframe hasn't rusted half through.

I agree about the 'standard' of the test rather than the age of the vehicle. Fortunately for me I do look after my car and check most t things regularly. Also of course cars here don't rust as they used to in the UK.

Slightly off topic but relevant. In 1976 I had a back axle snap on a Vauxhall Viva on the M5 motorway, swinging the car round and puncturing the petrol tank, with me and my young family facing oncoming traffic!. Fortunately it was 7am and traffic was light. Fire engines and cops and closure of two lanes. 

I was prosecuted for having a 'defective' vehicle and the magistrate agreed with me that it was unreasonable for an owner to have to inspect under his vehicle every time he went out. (The car had been MOT'd 8 days before, but the law stated that the road worthiness of the vehicle only applied at the instant of the MOT). He only fined me £5 and an endorsement for construction and use - the only one I ever had in 50 years.

So, the testing of vehicles is an interesting issue. Talking about tests, the only reason I'm on line at this unearthly hour is that I am listening to the test match from UK!!   That's cricket of course, not rugby :smile:

On 2017-6-29 at 0:28 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Give the poor girl a break!   She was confused when someone told her of the legal requirement for a 7 year old car to have a safety check (like a heavily diminished UK M.O.T.), before you can re-tax and reinsure the car.  For motor bikes , it is 5 years.  I believe the Thai version costs about 300 baht for a car, but bank loans may be available if the owner is a Thai.

At least your wife alerted you to something or other and that is a good start, particularly if she were to spot a wheel falling off or something quite minor like that. and actually bothered to tell you about it before you drove off.   Largely depends on whether she has your ATM number or whether you have made a favourable will, I suppose.  :sleep:

I think she was basing it on a report of a statement from Land Transport but it was in Thai so it was difficult to check. It seems from what I can tell that there are plans to increase tax on older vehicles but maybe not so much that it will affect me. 

As for my will I had to tell her that if I die before her without a will she will get what I own in the UK as well as Thailand as far as I know. I seem to be lucky compared to some here as although I pay for a lot with the family I'm not expected to and if my brother in law dies building work for us I have to be insistent that I pay him more than he thinks I should. 

On 2017-7-8 at 11:22 PM, ben2talk said:

I think the frequency is based on average mileages but it might be a good idea to included a mileage element as you get with servicing schedules. 

The checks do need to be better and  but how likely is it that this could be done in any meaningful way here. It would need reliable oversight of those carrying out the checks. This is a problem even in heavily regulated countries like the UK. It would also need the police to check on vehicles to make sure they'd passed and if they haven't take it off the road rather than take a fine and allow it to carry on with no record of the fact that the driver had been caught. 

I have a Honda Jazz  and the lights seemed a bit high, particularly with passengers in the back and as there's no way to adjust them from inside I took it to the Honda dealership.  I assumed the alignment would be measured using the usual gauge but instead it was pointed at a wall abbe the mechanic gut under the bonnet/hood with a screwdriver, lowered the beam a bit,  put a thumb up,  waited for me to do the same then repeated on the other side.

Only last week we had to get a tyre changed as there was a bulge on the outside wall.  Probably from the big hole in the road where it's being widened between Khon Kaen and Kosum Phisai.  We went to a well known chain, I won't mention the name and others may be ok but it's name could be seen as a bit rude.  My wife went there in December 2016 and they thought all the tyres should be changed but I said no.  We then went on a long trip over the weekend and the ride seemed a bit harsh so I checked the pressures  in the morning why they were cold.  Instead of 30/32 they were over 40, one was 44. I've seen this at the Honda bike dealership as well. 

The problem with new cars is that they lack soul. If I could pick a car to have for the rest of my life. It would be 1992-2001 Integra GSR/Type R, Honda S2000, 1992-2001 Honda Prelude H22, Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE, 1992+ NSX, Skyline R34. 

90's Japanese cars are the best of the best.

11 minutes ago, lust said:

The problem with new cars is that they lack soul. If I could pick a car to have for the rest of my life. It would be 1992-2001 Integra GSR/Type R, Honda S2000, 1992-2001 Honda Prelude H22, Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE, 1992+ NSX, Skyline R34. 

The problem with roads is that men never grow up and they think cars should have soul.

If I could pick a car right now, it'd be a bargain Camry Hybrid, as I see no point in burning 6 litres of fuel travelling to school at 20km/h along Bangna-Trad in a Saab 900.

3 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

The problem with roads is that men never grow up and they think cars should have soul.

If I could pick a car right now, it'd be a bargain Camry Hybrid, as I see no point in burning 6 litres of fuel travelling to school at 20km/h along Bangna-Trad.

But then we are all different regarding what pleasures we want out of life, for many, me included, 2 and 4 wheel fun comes very close to the top of their list..:stoner:

8 minutes ago, lust said:

I've never driven any of those but I would think they be fun. I think it needs to be remembered that most cars are basically for transport so that's what they're designed for. If you need it to get to work you probably want it to be economical and reliable. I drive a Toyota Prius in the UK. It's reliable, very cheap on fuel (better than my Jazz in Thailand). It's probably as rewarding to drive as any of the cars you mention on the roads and with the traffic I have to deal with. A slow moving line of traffic is an amazing leveller when it comes to cars. Out on open winding roads is a different matter. Maybe a car just for that would be the answer. 

6 minutes ago, transam said:

But then we are all different regarding what pleasures we want out of life, for many, me included, 2 and 4 wheel fun comes very close to the top of their list..:stoner:

How much fun can you have on 4 wheels at 20km/h  with your clothes on?

I think the point ben2talk is making is the same as mine. It's not always possible to have fun under the conditions many have to drive under. The example given is a school run in slow moving traffic.  Of course you can always have fun at other times. Safely of course. 

I know from reading many of your posts your love of vehicles, your knowledge of them and your sensible posts about them but you seem to have missed the point here. I have to say I have some admiration for those I see riding large bikes in groups down the road.  It scares me in my car sometimes when I see the holes and large lumps in the roads that I have to avoid. 

13 minutes ago, transam said:

I want one of these, does everything except fuel saving......:stoner:

BB.jpg.ac0a79c73e0b03eab37d8affc4ca4329.jpg

Looks good.  My wife just saw it and asked "For me?". I asked "How would you park it?" Subject now dropped. See how much money I've saved. 

1 minute ago, kimamey said:

I think the point ben2talk is making is the same as mine. It's not always possible to have fun under the conditions many have to drive under. The example given is a school run in slow moving traffic.  Of course you can always have fun at other times. Safely of course. 

I know from reading many of your posts your love of vehicles, your knowledge of them and your sensible posts about them but you seem to have missed the point here. I have to say I have some admiration for those I see riding large bikes in groups down the road.  It scares me in my car sometimes when I see the holes and large lumps in the roads that I have to avoid. 

I had a 700hp car that I loved every minute in, even in traffic, yes a love affair for sure. When I was driving it we became one.....:giggle:

On 6/27/2017 at 3:01 AM, billd766 said:

My Ford Ranger will be 16 years old in December and it only has 357,xxx km on the clock. Serviced fairly regularly, washed 2 or 3 times a year.

It still rumbles and rattles along and I take it for its annual inspection and it hasn't failed yet.

If there is a problem we take it to the guy in the big village who fixes it.

My Toyota Tacoma 4 wheel drive pickup was made in late 1997. It has less than 130,000 km on the odometer.  I got it when it was 3 years old, and it has been washed 2 or 3 times since I've owned it.  Had to put in a set of front brake pads, tires and the copper starter solenoid contacts.  Just the other day I had to replace the 20 year old  engine belts.  There is a crack in the plastic windshield washer fluid bottle, but it still works.

26 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Sensible? Me? How dare you!

Actually yes - bikes are generally more reliable for fun factor. The Bentley is a ridiculous dream - and the brother in law's monthly payments on his Camry compared to a Vios or a Yaris make it an un-necessary evil if you're not touring every day. He's racking up about 30k per month.

As for parking the Bentley - who needs to do that?

On 6/29/2017 at 0:28 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

before you can re-tax and re-insure the car.  For motor bikes , it is 5 years.  

I believe the Thai version costs about 300 baht for a car,

You can re-new your DTPL insurance before a car or bike check test.

The check station will also issue you with CTPL.

l paid 200 baht for car check 60 baht for bikes.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

A lot slower than 2 wheels and gets stuck in traffic jams.  :laugh:

My daily run - Bangplii to Punnawitti - today saw a truck jackknifed in front of Thainakarin Hospital. Even my soi had 8 cars waiting to get out onto Bangna Trad - completely blocked inside and out (4 lanes of traffic trying to squeeze out of every exit - speeds under 5km/h) for a good hour or more I'd say.

Traffic pretty much stuck everywhere - outside Mega, up in the air on the spaghetti junction here.

My 10km school run took an extra 5 minutes :cheesy: Jack.thumb.jpg.b774fa9487e818150b0a7fdf54f1fe9c.jpg

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Sensible? Me? How dare you!

Actually yes - bikes are generally more reliable for fun factor. The Bentley is a ridiculous dream - and the brother in law's monthly payments on his Camry compared to a Vios or a Yaris make it an un-necessary evil if you're not touring every day. He's racking up about 30k per month.

As for parking the Bentley - who needs to do that?

I was just trying to put the wife of the idea and it worked.

Actually I think your original picture was a Rolls Royce. Not that it makes much difference in the circumstances. 

1 minute ago, kimamey said:

I was just trying to put the wife of the idea and it worked.

Actually I think your original picture was a Rolls Royce. Not that it makes much difference in the circumstances. 

Bentleys are for playboys - Rolls is more refined, even the Wraith.

This video obviously applies to any 'top end' car now. They could hardly expect you to park it and fold your own mirrors.

I rather like the front-opening doors on the Wraith. Ever since seeing old movies I always thought that'd be the best way to have your car doors open.

5 hours ago, transam said:

A few 2 wheels may have a problem though.....Watch this, good fun....

Strange ad like he was talking about something like a family car,  fun l'm sure but only for 1% lot. 

Archived