New rules for cars over 7 years

kimamey

11 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Bentleys are for playboys - Rolls is more refined, even the Wraith.

This video obviously applies to any 'top end' car now. They could hardly expect you to park it and fold your own mirrors.

I rather like the front-opening doors on the Wraith. Ever since seeing old movies I always thought that'd be the best way to have your car doors open.

Front opening doors, ah yes. My first car was the exact same as this 1938 Wolsey cop car. I sat in this one at the show and it still had that' leather' smell. Full of soul!

IMG_0043.JPG

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/26/2017 at 4:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

It's unbelievable what silly ideas some " Pol Maj Gen" can come up with

true enough, asidde from being entertaining, some may actually be en-acted and affect us; example being the foolish 'alcohol hours'

On 26/06/2017 at 2:18 PM, kimamey said:

Thanks for that.  It will as someone else mentioned need a safety check but that shouldn't be a problem so long as the suspension had held together.

I'm a bit surprised to find my fears are unfounded as my wife said to me only last week "Your wife knows everything".

Not this time it seems. 

Saftey check lol. They put the lights on and indicators put it on a rolling road get up to at least 5kph and hit the breaks. Then sound the horn end of pick up certificate and in my case i buy compulsory insurance from them. Then down the lane to DTO to pay for tax and renew car passport. All very simple

On 6/26/2017 at 2:18 PM, kimamey said:

Thanks for that.  It will as someone else mentioned need a safety check but that shouldn't be a problem so long as the suspension had held together.

I'm a bit surprised to find my fears are unfounded as my wife said to me only last week "Your wife knows everything".

Not this time it seems. 

I doubt a safety check would be much of a problem in the  LoS. 

• 3 weeks later...

What seems to have happened this year is that someone is behind the sudden proliferation of vehicle testing centres all over the country and wants to make them profitable.  The previous system was that you had to pay B500 to avoid having your car tested at the vehicle licensing centre.  If you insisted on getting it tested, it was automatically failed without a proper test, to encourage you to change your mind and come back and pay the B500 fee.  Now priorities have changed.   

The trick will be manage the transition without any improvement to the safety standards of old bangers on the road. But I have complete faith that the authorities will be able to manage this important transition smoothly.  

7 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

What seems to have happened this year is that someone is behind the sudden proliferation of vehicle testing centres all over the country and wants to make them profitable.  The previous system was that you had to pay B500 to avoid having your car tested at the vehicle licensing centre.  If you insisted on getting it tested, it was automatically failed without a proper test, to encourage you to change your mind and come back and pay the B500 fee.  Now priorities have changed.   

The trick will be manage the transition without any improvement to the safety standards of old bangers on the road. But I have complete faith that the authorities will be able to manage this important transition smoothly.  

What is your 500bht thing all about, news to me...?

Did mine last friday. No change whatsoever.

Did the MOT check and bought compulsory insurance from them as usual privately owned garage about a kilometre from DTO.

Had to use on stop counter for tax 10 mins wait. Then had to put paperwork in to a diffrent counter to renew car passport. But no change re tax and mot whatsoever.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 7:48 PM, kimamey said:

I asked the wife about this and she showed me as article on Sanook in Thai but it seems it may just be a small increase in tax. 

Just proves what I always say.  If you want to know go to Thaivisa.

Thanks for all the replies. 

the small increase in tax will still be a thousand times cheaper than a new car. 7 years appears to be a magic number for many car owners as that is just outside the manufacturer's warranty (when you run out of pages for maintenance on the manual). for most, it also means a debt-free period of 2-3 years which is enough time to get commit to another debt for 3-5 years. it's just a cycle among middle-class citizens i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

My car is 9 yrs old only has 83,000 kilometers. I get it inspected every year 160 Baht. And registration 100 Baht government insurance 400 Baht.

Not expensive 

So you are saying the tax on your car only costs 100bht a year. Everything else you say is correct i get my 9 yr old motor mot'd at a cost of 200 i buy compulsory insurance from them as well 400bht but i cant belive your yearly tax is only 100bht.

Yesterday took my trusty Vigo for it's test and pay the road tax. It is now in it's eleventh year and the road tax was the same as last year. After 5 years old it goes down each year until the tenth year, after that it stays the same. It is now 3,414bht, about half of when new...

At my test station they do not check anything mechanical, just brakes, lights and sniff the exhaust...Waste of time really....:sad:

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Yesterday took my trusty Vigo for it's test and pay the road tax. It is now in it's eleventh year and the road tax was the same as last year. After 5 years old it goes down each year until the tenth year, after that it stays the same. It is now 3,414bht, about half of when new...

At my test station they do not check anything mechanical, just brakes, lights and sniff the exhaust...Waste of time really....:sad:

Same lights, brakes on rolling road and emission test which i suspect is for show we buy compulsory insurance from them and always get a free umbrella lol

Tax for ours 8 yr old is 2650 next year will be if i read it right 2150 then 1850 for year 10 and that were it will stay then.

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Same lights, brakes on rolling road and emission test which i suspect is for show we buy compulsory insurance from them and always get a free umbrella lol

Tax for ours 8 yr old is 2650 next year will be if i read it right 2150 then 1850 for year 10 and that were it will stay then.

I buy the compulsory insurance via my insurance company in advance, which is due a month before the test, costs the same so l don't have to go to the DLT test station, l go to a private place, no queuing up. Took me about 40 minutes to do the test and go round the corner to the DLT office and pay the tax...Must have been 50 rides lined up waiting for the test and pay for insurance that l walked past... :stoner:

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I buy the compulsory insurance via my insurance company in advance, which is due a month before the test, costs the same so l don't have to go to the DLT test station, l go to a private place, no queuing up. Took me about 40 minutes to do the test and go round the corner to the DLT office and pay the tax...Must have been 50 rides lined up waiting for the test and pay for insurance that l walked past... :stoner:

Our mot place is not connected to LTO they do insurance as well. Our 1st class insurance isnt due till 3 months after test. Luckily KK has a one stop window now took us 10 mins from walking in to getting tax and book updated unfortunatley another 1.5 hrs to get car passport re stamped go figure

I wonder if there are any special rules for older cars. I have got a 1972 Toyota Crown. Sit in a storage for over 7 years and now rebulding most mechanical parts. Will be ready in 3 months to go on the road again.

Any special Tax rules ?

Any special classic-car all-risk insurance possible ?

There has been suggestions on this forum that if tax hasn't been paid for more than 3 years then the blue/green book is voided....getting the book reissued could be a challenge.

However I personally dont think the 3 year rules exists...I think they will just ask for all the years of unpaid tax to be paid then update the book....please let us all know if your 7 years off road car runs into this problem.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:43 AM, johng said:

There has been suggestions on this forum that if tax hasn't been paid for more than 3 years then the blue/green book is voided....getting the book reissued could be a challenge.

However I personally dont think the 3 year rules exists...I think they will just ask for all the years of unpaid tax to be paid then update the book....please let us all know if your 7 years off road car runs into this problem.

This was quoted to me last month or so. It seems that you will still keep the original book but you do have to pay all the missing years of tax, if I understood correctly. Should be going through the process soon so will post what happens.

On 26/06/2017 at 8:14 AM, kimamey said:

It's funny, before I left the radio went wrong and it needs to be replaced but I didn't have time to get it done.  When I got back and mentioned it again my wife said "Buy a new car".

A nice idea but it's a case of having the money.  If I was just replacing it then that's possible but there's nothing really wrong with it other than is not suited to some of the roads I have to drive on and something bigger is a bit expensive. 

After 7 years get the wife tested and buy a new one, a bit smaller and less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, thinkingman said:

I have a 2010 Honda City.  Tax renews March 2018.  Will I need an inspection? What does the form look like?

You will need the car to be inspected before renewal we got ours inspected at one of the many test centres about and got CTPL cover at the same time.

Then off to DLT office for new yearly road disc.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:21 AM, tonboy said:

I wonder if there are any special rules for older cars. I have got a 1972 Toyota Crown. Sit in a storage for over 7 years and now rebulding most mechanical parts. Will be ready in 3 months to go on the road again.

Any special Tax rules ?

Any special classic-car all-risk insurance possible ?

I have a handful of vintage cars that are 30-40 years old. There is no special tax rules no special checks. Don't believe there are any all risk insruance that is possble for old cars, I may be wrong. I just insure most basic as its not my daily driver.

6 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I have a handful of vintage cars that are 30-40 years old. There is no special tax rules no special checks. Don't believe there are any all risk insruance that is possble for old cars, I may be wrong. I just insure most basic as its not my daily driver.

Out of interest, what cars are they...?..:stoner:

Archived