New rules for cars over 7 years

kimamey

When I returned from the UK this month my wife told me there were new rules planned to make ownership over 7 years more expensive presumably to promote the car industry. As our Jazz is I think 5 years old now that could be an issue.  I can't find anything about this so if anyone knows I'd be glad to know. Ours was bought under the tax return scheme silo I suspect a lot will be coming on the market soon. 

I know in Japan they make it difficult over 10 years so a lot get exported to the UK where we drive on the left as well.  I had a Nissan Elgrand for about 7 years that was imported and I still miss it sometimes when I need the extra room. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, before I left the radio went wrong and it needs to be replaced but I didn't have time to get it done.  When I got back and mentioned it again my wife said "Buy a new car".

A nice idea but it's a case of having the money.  If I was just replacing it then that's possible but there's nothing really wrong with it other than is not suited to some of the roads I have to drive on and something bigger is a bit expensive. 

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

Car road tax is cheaper every year after 5 years. The only thing I see is more expenses for repairs and maintenance...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.  It will as someone else mentioned need a safety check but that shouldn't be a problem so long as the suspension had held together.

I'm a bit surprised to find my fears are unfounded as my wife said to me only last week "Your wife knows everything".

Not this time it seems. 

Car prices here are among the highest in the world for the income. Average income earners take years to settle car loans so I see most cars here are used for at least 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, kimamey said:

there were new rules planned

I haven't heard about "planned". Who knows?

I am just sure there is nothing in effect.

We have two cars one of which is a 12 year Vios and nothing has changed until recently when the daughter did the yearly renewal (inspection, insurance, tax).

The rules for car inspection ("safety check") are unchanged since long.

Just found a report (thread) from 2013 with a completely nidicolous idea by a police senior to get old cars out of Bangkok.

Cars older than 7 years should be taxed like new cars if they want to drive in Bangkok.

Cars older than 10 years should only be used in the provinces (!!!).

It's unbelievable what silly ideas some " Pol Maj Gen" can come up with :saai:

I can't remember ever heard again of this.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673098-bangkok-police-want-cars-older-than-10-years-off-the-streets/

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

Thanks for that.  It will as someone else mentioned need a safety check but that shouldn't be a problem so long as the suspension had held together.

I'm a bit surprised to find my fears are unfounded as my wife said to me only last week "Your wife knows everything".

Not this time it seems. 

No she can't know everything cause mine does ...

My Ford Ranger will be 16 years old in December and it only has 357,xxx km on the clock. Serviced fairly regularly, washed 2 or 3 times a year.

It still rumbles and rattles along and I take it for its annual inspection and it hasn't failed yet.

If there is a problem we take it to the guy in the big village who fixes it.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

My Ford Ranger will be 16 years old in December and it only has 357,xxx km on the clock. Serviced fairly regularly, washed 2 or 3 times a year.

It still rumbles and rattles along and I take it for its annual inspection and it hasn't failed yet.

Though's were the days when we put the key in and it started, got us to where we wanted to go without a computer telling us we were real twonks  telling us we nearly took out an overtaking ride or you daft <deleted>, Tesco's entrance was two miles back....Fond memories...:stoner:

On 6/26/2017 at 2:18 PM, kimamey said:

Not this time it seems. 

Our civic just had its check after its 13th year on the road. This check has been in place years. I think they are most concerned with the brakes working. Look at all the junkers on the road that are supposedly passing this test. They don't test much so don't worry. 7 years old is still relatively young and not much should be wrong with it. 

46 minutes ago, johng said:

16 ? Is that a mistake I thought they came out in 2011..so 6 years ? ? ?

Second-generation Ranger models from 2006 to 2011 were also designed by Mazda, being re-badged versions of the successor to the B-Series, the first generation BT50.

I asked the wife about this and she showed me as article on Sanook in Thai but it seems it may just be a small increase in tax. 

Just proves what I always say.  If you want to know go to Thaivisa.

Thanks for all the replies. 

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

It was on the news last week that cars 7 years and over would have to pay a higher yearly tax.

Well lets hope that goes the same way as people riding in the back of truck.

Some rich Thai mug saying lets try hitting the poor again.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

That reminded me of my dear old Dad, RIP. I liked GM cars and he had Fords all his life. He always told me that maybe his Ford would rattle first but it would rattle longer.

10 hours ago, kimamey said:

I asked the wife about this and she showed me as article on Sanook in Thai but it seems it may just be a small increase in tax. 

Just proves what I always say.  If you want to know go to Thaivisa.

Thanks for all the replies. 

And if you want, to know, don't ask to as Thai, and especially not a woman !

On 6/26/2017 at 3:53 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't heard about "planned". Who knows?

I am just sure there is nothing in effect.

We have two cars one of which is a 12 year Vios and nothing has changed until recently when the daughter did the yearly renewal (inspection, insurance, tax).

The rules for car inspection ("safety check") are unchanged since long.

All of the above.

Our second car is a 3 door Honda Civic, bought new 18 years ago.

We've kept it in very good condition. Always passes the inspection, son regularly gets asked if he wants to sell.

Archived