After loss of legs in Singapore train accident, Thai girl wins hospital job with million baht salary

webfact

After loss of legs in Singapore train accident, Thai girl wins hospital job with million baht salary

By Coconuts Bangkok

co.jpg

Photos: Facebook

BANGKOK: -- The Thai teen girl who lost both legs in a Singapore MRT accident six years ago has won a prestigious job from a pool of thousands of applicants. The new position is “observing patient happiness”—a gig that will pay the sky-high salary of THB1 million (about USD29,500) per month.

On Saturday, it was announced on local talk show “At Ten” that Nitcharee “Than” Pen-eakchanasak, now 20, has been hired by the World Medical Hospital, on the outskirts of Bangkok, on a six-month contract, reported Sanook.

As the observer of patient happiness, Nitchanee will check in with hospital residents daily to ask about their days, offer support during recovery, and inquire about what could make their treatment more pleasant.  

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/loss-legs-singapore-train-accident-thai-girl-wins-hospital-job-million-baht-salary/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-06-26

"Nitchanee will check in with hospital residents daily to ask about their days, offer support during recovery, and inquire about what could make their treatment more pleasant...has continued her education at Thammasat University, studying journalism and mass communication."

She is unqualified  due to lack of education and experience. Having spent years in a similar position where the minimum qualifications were a graduate degree in psychology or counseling, supervised field experience and  six years of actual work developing additional skills, I don't see that she has met the minimum in any of these. What support can she offer if she unable to determine  what factors are causing any discomfort and what treatment or services would be necessary to provide in order to help the patient? Just another public relations ploy to make it look like the health system is a lot better than it really is.

Edited by jaltsc

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

a gig that will pay the sky-high salary of THB1 million (about USD29,500) per month.

Sure this must be a typo, and should be per year instead, as i doubt that even in the western world such a position would pay such a salary.

14 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

Hard to see how this is money well spent.

It will help her get new prosthetic legs. 

Serms like an excellent way to spend money to me. 

It may well be a publicity stunt, but if it helps this young woman, then so be it. 

54 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The new position is “observing patient happiness” using a unfortunate human being as a promotional object

Yeah- lets just urinate all over a 'good news' story shall we. Have a happy day.

I hope she has a better life than your cynical one.

23 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yeah- lets just urinate all over a 'good news' story shall we. Have a happy day.

I hope she has a better life than your cynical one.

A quick look at your post history teaches me that you actually are critical about every post made on this forum in the past 6 months.

So sorry to have hurt your superior feelings.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Should cover the cost of new prosthetic legs for her, according to full article. 

Good of luck to her and well done that hospital. 

She has already got millions compensation in SGD from SMRT in Singapore after her mishap. Unlucky for her for the accident, but still lucky it was in Singapore where they actually do compensate after the court judgement awarded her. If it was in Thailand, she would probably got 20,000 Baht compensation thats all. 

Edited by Moonmoon

Just now, Moonmoon said:

She has already got millions compensation from SMRT in Singapore after her mishap. Unlucky for her for the accident, but still lucky it was in Singapore where they actually do compensate after the court judgement awarded her. If it was in Thailand, she would probably got 20,000 Baht compensation thats all. 

After what she went through and is still going through, good luck to her. 

She deserves everything she gets. 

A

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This post is dangerous, many Thai girls would have a job like this one, so the train drivers have to drive carefully....

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The new position is “observing patient happiness” using a unfortunate human being as a promotional object

That is one way of seeing it. 

IMG_0040.JPG

7 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Nitchanee will check in with hospital residents daily to ask about their days, offer support during recovery, and inquire about what could make their treatment more pleasant...has continued her education at Thammasat University, studying journalism and mass communication."

She is unqualified  due to lack of education and experience. Having spent years in a similar position where the minimum qualifications were a graduate degree in psychology or counseling, supervised field experience and  six years of actual work developing additional skills, I don't see that she has met the minimum in any of these. What support can she offer if she unable to determine  what factors are causing any discomfort and what treatment or services would be necessary to provide in order to help the patient? Just another public relations ploy to make it look like the health system is a lot better than it really is.

Academic qualifications are not on par with what the university of life will serve us.

In this case, the girl gets a job for a very good pay, the hospital gets good press.

Win-win.......

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Sure this must be a typo, and should be per year instead, as i doubt that even in the western world such a position would pay such a salary.

I live nearby that hospital, its really 1 million a month. It was advertised like that on the big banner hanging in front. The candidate thy were looking for, must speak 5 languages

Edited by henry15

There is a lot of leg work in her new job so let's see if she can handle it...

since medical residents earn 15-20k a month....pretty much a PR stunt...

i wonder if if she earn this position through an essay on patient satisfaction on how she beat out he competition or could there be another motive?

in the usa they refer to this service as patient complaint or member assistance dept....best one gets in health care is if the patient is satisfied with the care/service....happiness suveys are for Disneyland venues....

7 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

She has already got millions compensation in SGD from SMRT in Singapore after her mishap. Unlucky for her for the accident, but still lucky it was in Singapore where they actually do compensate after the court judgement awarded her. If it was in Thailand, she would probably got 20,000 Baht compensation thats all. 

"In 2013, Nitchanee’s family filed a lawsuit against the Singapore SMRT and Land Transport Authority for negligence but unfortunately lost."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/loss-legs-singapore-train-accident-thai-girl-wins-hospital-job-million-baht-salary/

Can you provide the link that shows she won her case?

8 minutes ago, nahkit said:

"In 2013, Nitchanee’s family filed a lawsuit against the Singapore SMRT and Land Transport Authority for negligence but unfortunately lost."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/loss-legs-singapore-train-accident-thai-girl-wins-hospital-job-million-baht-salary/

Can you provide the link that shows she won her case?

I am wrong, she lost her appeal. I thought i had read somewhere she won the case. :sorry:

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Believe me,a young Thai person who lost both legs and lands this job is a very fortunate person.

10 hours ago, jaltsc said:

I just think that you're Twitter & Bisted cos you didn't get the gig :whistling:

‘Nong Than’ overcomes adversity to land dream patient-happiness job
By MAYUREE SUKYINGCHAROENWONG
THE NATION

2f7f0112263f73f2e29f75418afbf8ff.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THANKS TO HER positive mindset, Nitcharee “Nong Than” Peneakchanasak has been flying high despite having lost both of her legs in a 2011 accident in Singapore.

Just this month, 21-year-old Nitcharee landed the so-called “Best Job in Thailand”. 

The patient-happiness surveyor position at the World Medical Hospital comes with a monthly income of Bt1 million under a six-month contract. 

Nitcharee, who is now enrolled in a short course overseas, will start the job on August 16. 

“I plan to focus on physically challenged patients,” said the student of Thammasat University’s Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication. 

She will be expected to talk to patients, boost their morale and present findings on the hospital’s social media accounts so that readers can learn how to make patients happy. In recent years, Nitcharee has also been a motivational speaker and TV host. 

Prof Dr Adisorn Patradul, director of the World Medical Hospital, said Nitcharee had beaten nearly 1,000 applicants because of her outstanding qualifications. 

He added that he appreciated Nitcharee’s resilience. Even though she suffered the loss of her legs in the accident on Singapore’s MRT tracks, she has raised herself up and been going strong since. 

“We also take note that she has joined various charity activities over the years,” Adisorn said. “Last but not least, she has a very positive mindset. She is always smiling and cheerful. She’s the kind of person that patients must be happy talking to.”

Despite the loss of her legs, Nitcharee plays badminton, swims and even dives just like able-bodied people. 

“It’s possible to turn crises into opportunities, flaws into inspirations,” she said, adding that physical disabilities did not have to be obstacles in life. “If we have enough determination, we can do anything,” she said. 

Aware that she will have to divide her time between her job at the hospital and her studies at Thammasat, Nitcharee has already planned ahead. “I will enrol in just a few courses in the upcoming semester so that I have time for my work at the medical centre,” she said. 

She said she planned to spend her afternoons at the World Medical Hospital at least three days during the week and all of her weekends there. 

Nitcharee added that she appreciated the opportunities that had come her way and promised to keep improving. 

The windfall income from the hospital salary, she said, might be used to buy a new pair of artificial legs. “Each pair costs around Bt5 million,” she said.

The artificial limbs that she currently uses were given to her by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, who said she wished to extend her help and also encouraged Nitcharee “to pay it forward” by helping other people in the future. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319170

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-27