Work permits. Stricter penalties for non compliance

18 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Based on my observations of my 3 year old nephew being brought up/raised by a Philipino maid in Hong Kong when my brother and his wife were simply too busy and important to be bothered by trivial items like that. 

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too have seen images of hoards of Labourer's rounded up like cattle... 

It is quite shocking the level of disregard people here have for their neighbors whom they seem to believe are sub-human. 

When looking at these fines and drawing a comparison with the penalties for violent crime there seems to be a huge discrepancy.

Thailand 'could' make the labour laws for people from ASEAN countries much much easier if it wishes to or cares enough to do something about this issue other than provide increased fines and staggering levels of bureaucracy. 

If these people are working illegally or suspected of it, they should be getting rounded up and checked, illegal workers are for the most part the people responsible for the immigrations hassling of decent tourists who want to live in Thailand long term and can pay their way.

In your last paragraph, I do see where you are coming from, but Thailand immigration is more likely to make things harder than easier, making things easier

is just not in the Thai mindset.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears the changes are directed at employment of migrant workers.

Point 5 (and of course 3) is a popular tool to extort farangs for tens of thousands of baht in Phuket. E.g. people who are not performing real work, just lending a hand to hold something for their staff for a second or a restaurant manager who dares to turn on the coffee machine. I'm sure the lovely officers will be happy about the sharper tools they got.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Our Son's Nanny (Burmese) lives with us. We can't find a decent Thai lady to do the job, they want to charge the earth and are unreliable.

I would be curious what "charge the earth" amounts to in Baht. 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only real solution is to let the Nanny go and employ a Thai lady.

I think this is the point.  The job of the Thai Govt is to look after the interests of Thai Citizens - ensure their welfare - not the welfare of Burmese and people who can afford nannies and prefer cheap-labor.  We have the same problem in the USA, though that govt is much less concerned about the welfare of the American citizenry vis-a-vis impossible-competition with an unlimited supply of cheap foreign-labor.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is quite shocking the level of disregard people here have for their neighbors whom they seem to believe are sub-human. 

Or, perhaps, unlike in the USA, they consider their Own Citizenry to be deserving of the respect any human being should expect - being able to support themselves at a decent standard of living, with jobs in their country of birth - the only place on Earth they have the legal right to live and work. 

This is not to say that your current nanny is not a wonderful person - only that dragging Thais down to the lowest-common-denominator via competition with foreign-labor does not support decent living-conditions for Thais (what the Thai govt's mandate includes) - or everyone else on the planet, in the long-run.  The ability of nations like Myanmar to "ship off" their surplus population to work abroad delays reforms and improved working-conditions in their country, in addition to lowering standards where ever they go.

The title of the OP is incorrect, it should have read more like 'Work Permits, stricter enforcement of penalties' 

Unfortunately this is probably aimed at migrant workers from neighbouring countries, however, let's put this in to perspective and relate it to our own respective countries and your thoughts of people who work illegally in those, the Thai's have every right to enforce their laws as does every country.

Regarding Burmese maids etc. unless the rules have changed dramatically, it isn't that hard to get them registered and working legally, agreed it is a hassle, but not really that difficult.