"Applying make-up and eating while driving quite alright" says top Bangkok cop

webfact

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I watched a good documentary about how people cannot multitask. When I say multitask, I mean literally do 2 or more things at the same time. Brain can't do it.

When driving, your concentration should always be fully on what you're doing - driving. In a country where most people have had no formal driving lessons, I'd say it's absolutely imperative that they give 100% concentration to driving and nothing else. 

The first thing my missus does when she reaches a red light is pull out her phone. I always remind her that Facebook can wait. She always asks "What's the problem? The light's red". Wait for the light to go green and most people aren't concentrating and take a few secs until they start moving. Another reason traffic is so bad. 

People in power really need to know when to stop and think before they speak. 

Look on the bright side, if she takes a couple of extra seconds to start moving its less likely she will be T boned by someone who ran the red light 2 or 3 seconds after it came on.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Same in Australia but there is an offence of failing to have proper control of a motor vehicle.  This offence covers eating, reading the paper, combing your hair or applying makeup etc etc etc

Can't really see how scoffing a Mars bar or banana can impare you, it doesn't take much concentration. Applying makeup or using a phone is another thing.

I'd like to counter the part that says "people cannot multitask"
If that had read "men cannot multitask" it wouldn't have caught my attention, however I think that women are natural at multitasking. It may be because since time began they always had to feed babies and carry out their everyday activities. No medical evidence to back this up but if you think about it...
Personally I can't manage the multitasking of being able to speak on a mobile phone whilst walking, even in my car I can't use the handsfree built in phone whilst driving.
On the upside I'm now able to chew gum whilst walking, which in itself is quite an achievement for a non multitasker.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

The human brain is quite capable of multi-tasking.

So those who actually possess brains, should not experience any unforeseen difficulties, doing two, or even three tasks at once.

I thought the whole multi tasking thing was a myth. 

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I watched a good documentary about how people cannot multitask. When I say multitask, I mean literally do 2 or more things at the same time. Brain can't do it.

When driving, your concentration should always be fully on what you're doing - driving. In a country where most people have had no formal driving lessons, I'd say it's absolutely imperative that they give 100% concentration to driving and nothing else. 

The first thing my missus does when she reaches a red light is pull out her phone. I always remind her that Facebook can wait. She always asks "What's the problem? The light's red". Wait for the light to go green and most people aren't concentrating and take a few secs until they start moving. Another reason traffic is so bad. 

.... when to stop         before they speak. 

A few years back one of the radio shows were doing a review on the latest model of Ford cars to come on the Thai market, the radio presenters a male and female were discussing the latest technology new features, amongst which was the automatic braking in slow traffic, a feature that applied the brakes automatically so you didn't run into the car in front. The female presenter without hesitation said, thats a great car for all the ladies out there that are applying makeup whilst driving in the slow moving morning traffic. This brought to mind a former girlfriend that met me one evening driving her own car, usually during the weekdays she used a company car for work, but she explained that she crashed her company car that morning whilst applying her make up.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Is it ok to send a SMS while holding a baby and trying not to spill a drink-in-a-bag, while crossing a busy junction on a crappy scooter with a very loud exhaust?

Because I see things like this every day and not a single f@@@ is given by any police!

Also, what happened to people in the back of pickups? Has that been quietly forgotten?

Even if the vehicle is stopped at a red light, the driver should remain alert as an emergency may occur where evasive action could be taken, e.g. Out of control vehicle approaching (50% in Thailand). The only safe place to do these things is parked off the carriageway.

if the police here don't want to appear fools, they should at least keep their mouths shut.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It was quite alright to eat or put on make-up - but drivers should wait until it was safe to do so.

So going by his peculiar type of logic if you are ever involved in a collision whileyou were eating or applying make-up you are in trouble because obvlious

it was not safe to do so.

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"It was quite alright to eat or put on make-up - but drivers should wait until it was safe to do so."

Based on that comment, presumably the use of mobile phones is OK, when it is safe to do so.

If yrue he said that. He should be demoted 1 rank at least. Discusting

7 hours ago, wprime said:

No, read the article, there was explicit legislation which forbids using mobile phones while driving but there is no such legislation regarding make up or eating, therefore it's only illegal if it comes under dangerous or negligent driving.

I think ratcatcher was pointing to the logic or lack thereof.

7 hours ago, tonray said:

But what if you are only using the phone to talk about what you are eating ?

If you  take a selfie of eating and at the same time upload it to facebook me think no problem.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Why should they stop and think before they speak? They are the elite, they can say no wrong. Hence the " we have found a cure for ebola" comment, and all the other ridiculous statements.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Same in Australia but there is an offence of failing to have proper control of a motor vehicle.  This offence covers eating, reading the paper, combing your hair or applying makeup etc etc etc

I vaguely remember a 'driving while distracted' law in the US, as well. As regards the post, quite a telling perspective of one who is considered a prominent authority figure. Just the same, our perceptions of this article should be tempered by an acknowledgment that, at least in Bangkok, a great deal of time is spent at or near a dead standstill, with precious little to look forward to in the often lengthy periods between spurts of movement. I reckon if there were ever to be a metropolitan center where the driver's seat would be considered appropriate for a 3-course meal and facial, Bangkok might be it.

And while in essence, I agree with another poster who mentions the seeming human inability to, in actuality, multitask, I will say this: On the whole, for something that can't be done, the Thai do it better than most. This is nothing if not an anomalous place.

Whether you are eating, applying make-up or talking on a cellphone while driving, you are four times more likely to have a road crash. Conducting such activities while driving taxes cognitive abilities and powers of concentration to the point that it is tatamount to driving drunk. 

The Thai Policeman who thinks it's acceptable to eat or apply make-up while driving, shows why there is no effective road safety strategy in Thailand. There is not even a basic understanding of what road safety is.