Has anybody bought a new Everest ?

LGMV

wondering if any posters have bought the Ford in the last years or So.  I did notice a few posters asking questions about wheels and have PMd them, but it is quite possible that they are not active at the moment.  Would just like to ask a few questions about the process of buying and any tips etc as will be going down that route very shortly.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought the 3.2 Titanium last September it was our first SUV and have to admit that prior to this both here and in Australia have always bought Toyota

Our research showed that it was top in the surveys and we have not been dissapointed we did test drive some of the other models

We have been on two long trips one with five people and heaps of luggage

It has great road holding is comfortable and quiet and if you are prepared to spend the money I don't think you will be dissapointed

We did have a big problem in January when the coolant hose ruptured causing a massive overheating problem resulting in an new engine being fitted but I think that was a fluke and I understand the hoses are not even made by Ford

Ford were excellent in resolving the issue and hasn't changed our view of the vehicle 

If you want any further info pm me

I looked at buying one but thought it overpriced at 1.8m for the top of the range with beige interior, and it didn't even have keyless entry or start - cheapskates!

I also felt it was a rather cramped interior. Beware of service as I believe the agents are poor.

Just now, Tofer said:

I looked at buying one but thought it overpriced at 1.8m for the top of the range with beige interior, and it didn't even have keyless entry or start - cheapskates!

I also felt it was a rather cramped interior. Beware of service as I believe the agents are poor.

I have the 3.2 Titanium and very happy I thought the same originally about the keyless start but research shows they are easier to steal

Re service had a minor problem re service but since then excellent It probably depends on where you go to but Ford do have an excellent customer service division in Bangkok who you can call speak good English as well

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have the 3.2 Titanium and very happy I thought the same originally about the keyless start but research shows they are easier to steal

Re service had a minor problem re service but since then excellent It probably depends on where you go to but Ford do have an excellent customer service division in Bangkok who you can call speak good English as well

That's good to hear. I'm in Krabi area and they couldn't even be bothered to find the key to show me the car. I originally saw it in Chiang Rai. It was my preferred choice looking on the internet but had to pay the 1.8m for the nice interior which I thought was a bit overpriced. I loved the styling though, unlike a previous poster, I cannot abide the new Fortuner and Mitsubishi Sport with their childish transformer styling. I was lucky to find a near new Mitsubishi Sport, the last model of the old style, with only 6,400kms, from a Brit.

8 minutes ago, Tofer said:

That's good to hear. I'm in Krabi area and they couldn't even be bothered to find the key to show me the car. I originally saw it in Chiang Rai. It was my preferred choice looking on the internet but had to pay the 1.8m for the nice interior which I thought was a bit overpriced. I loved the styling though, unlike a previous poster, I cannot abide the new Fortuner and Mitsubishi Sport with their childish transformer styling. I was lucky to find a near new Mitsubishi Sport, the last model of the old style, with only 6,400kms, from a Brit.

We are North of Chiang Mai a 5 hour round trip we did have a major engine problem caused by a ruptured coolant hose  (see my post today ) which resulted in an engine change

They sent the service manager and 2 mechanics to our home during the process and a rental car 

This despite being  an inconvenience hasn't changed my view of the car or company still happy

It's good that Ford handled the problem to your satisfaction, but that would be called a "catastrophic failure".  The engine had to be replaced. And saying that Ford doesn't even make the hoses would have given me no comfort at all. Those hoses are on every Everest...

To add..

The same thing happened to me here in Thailand. My BMW 520i burst a coolant hose at highway speed.. The vapour cloud alerted me and I pulled over. Towed to a local repair shop.  The next day hose was replaced, coolant replaced, and I drove it home. No apparent long term damage (cylinder  head) and I drove the car for another 2 years.

But I'll never forget that it happened.

Not an Everest but have a Focus Mk III 2.0 top model here in Bangkok for the past 4 years. Generally reliability is fine but the human factor of servicing quality and customer service are poor. I had to tow the car 3 times, i.e. can't even be driven to the garage. Twice due to the same fuse malfunction (learned a lesson, have a spare in the gloves compartment). The problem hasn't returned for a couple of years, probably a bad batch or something. The other time was due to a screw coming off and puncturing the radiator not long after servicing. On all 3 accounts no spare parts, no answers when they will be available, car just sitting at the garage for prolonged period of time, no warranty cover even under extended premium plan, all expenses of parts and labor to be born by us. Only once got a replacement Fiesta after many many many phone calls with customer service (hours on the phone daily). If you don't run into any serious issues you'll be fine, if you do then expect a painful and highly frustrating experience.

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

We did have a big problem in January when the coolant hose ruptured causing a massive overheating problem resulting in an new engine being fitted but I think that was a fluke and I understand the hoses are not even made by Ford

Ford were excellent in resolving the issue and hasn't changed our view of the vehicle 

What dealership handled this warranty engine replacement?

1 hour ago, transam said:

A hose split and trashed the engine...Hmmmmmmm.

As usual, you oversimplify.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...the coolant hose ruptured causing a massive overheating problem resulting in an new engine being fitted

Never, ever happens on a Toyota I guess.

7 hours ago, rambling said:

Not an Everest but have a Focus Mk III 2.0 top model here in Bangkok for the past 4 years. Generally reliability is fine but the human factor of servicing quality and customer service are poor. I had to tow the car 3 times, i.e. can't even be driven to the garage. Twice due to the same fuse malfunction (learned a lesson, have a spare in the gloves compartment). The problem hasn't returned for a couple of years, probably a bad batch or something. The other time was due to a screw coming off and puncturing the radiator not long after servicing. On all 3 accounts no spare parts, no answers when they will be available, car just sitting at the garage for prolonged period of time, no warranty cover even under extended premium plan, all expenses of parts and labor to be born by us. Only once got a replacement Fiesta after many many many phone calls with customer service (hours on the phone daily). If you don't run into any serious issues you'll be fine, if you do then expect a painful and highly frustrating experience.

Once again, what crap Ford dealership was this?

Gotta name names or we'll have the usual avowed non-Ford driving Ford haters all ovet this one like they own it already.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Once again, what crap Ford dealership was this?

Gotta name names or we'll have the usual avowed non-Ford driving Ford haters all ovet this one like they own it already.

Ford Huahin (while on a trip there), Ford Aree (Bkk), Ford Nawamin (Bkk). And of course overall Ford Thailand customer service hotline / helpdesk with whom I was on the phone for days.

Edited by rambling

10 hours ago, StevieAus said:

We are North of Chiang Mai a 5 hour round trip we did have a major engine problem caused by a ruptured coolant hose  (see my post today ) which resulted in an engine change

They sent the service manager and 2 mechanics to our home during the process and a rental car 

This despite being  an inconvenience hasn't changed my view of the car or company still happy

Jeeze if I lived in your neck of the woods I'd definitely buy a Ford if the service is that good. Lucky you!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

As usual, you oversimplify.

Never, ever happens on a Toyota I guess.

It happens in many rides when a hose has been in place for YEARS....BUT, when this happens the cab is filled with the smell of coolant, the dash lights come on or the temp gauge does things....Steam is noticed coming out of the hood...

Or do Fords with all their hi-tech stuff NOT have a bird coming over the tannoy spouting..

.." Dear Ford owner, your ride is over heating and you should stop and phone your local Ford dealer"...?..................:stoner:

Little true story.

Try getting a new Everest from hire firm at BKK airport. The only MPV offered will be the MUX or Fortuner. Seems that the Ford isn't reliable enough. If you don't believe me go ask.

Must tell you something.

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What dealership handled this warranty engine replacement?

Ford in Chiang Mai they couldn't have been more helpful even sent the service manger and two mechanics to the house and delivered a hire car

I know they were very embarrassed about the failure

15 hours ago, transam said:

It happens in many rides when a hose has been in place for YEARS....BUT, when this happens the cab is filled with the smell of coolant, the dash lights come on or the temp gauge does things....Steam is noticed coming out of the hood...

Ahhhh yes.... the good ol' days.

But with all those alarms assaulting all known senses, drivers always have and probably always will be inattentive and think ' but I'm almost there' until a seized engine ends the game. Back in the "good ol' days" when rapid, hot coolant loss did permeate the cab with fumes, most drivers were still driving around with various amber or red lights glowing on the dashboard. Low oil pressure? Yes, but it goes off after about 5 miles. Not charging? Yes, but I rev the guts out at the first traffic light and it turns off. High temperature? Yes, but if I turn off the aircon and roll the windows down...

Funnily enough no manufacturer that I know of has an automatic idiot engine overtemp kill switch, not even Toyota.

15 hours ago, transam said:

Or do Fords with all their hi-tech stuff NOT have a bird coming over the tannoy spouting..

.." Dear Ford owner, your ride is over heating and you should stop and phone your local Ford dealer"...?..................:stoner:

I can appreciate with an old hose but it seems with this hose it was a manufacturing problem and has happened on one other Everest

I don't know what criteria the manufacturers use for recalls but unless a safety issue maybe its cheaper to wear two failure than recall all cars suppose as with everything comes down to money

I was advised by a person who has had a lot of experience in this field that if you get a massive coolant loss there is no medium to transmit the signal so by the time you smell what is happening the damage is done as happened in our case 

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Little true story.

Try getting a new Everest from hire firm at BKK airport. The only MPV offered will be the MUX or Fortuner. Seems that the Ford isn't reliable enough. If you don't believe me go ask.

Must tell you something.

Yes, there's truth in the fact that you have a rather interesting if rather confused rationale on the marketing by Thai SUV's manufacturers to Thai fleet operators. 

Now, why on earth would you, an avowed and 101% satisfied, serial Fortuner owner-driver ever, EVER consider renting an Everest?

Tell the truth now.

12 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Ford in Chiang Mai they couldn't have been more helpful even sent the service manger and two mechanics to the house and delivered a hire car

I know they were very embarrassed about the failure

!!!Result!!!

Thanks!

17 hours ago, LGMV said:

Looks Like Red is statistically less likely than blue to be involved in an accident.

And the most common car colours OF ANY MARQUE in Thailand are (variations on) silver/bronze metallics and (variations on) white.

Then black after that.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:17 AM, bobbin said:

It's good that Ford handled the problem to your satisfaction, but that would be called a "catastrophic failure".  The engine had to be replaced. And saying that Ford doesn't even make the hoses would have given me no comfort at all. Those hoses are on every Everest...

According to the dealer they have only had one other failure I suppose on the law of averages as with everything somethings fail

A few years ago Qantas nearly lost their new A380 over Singapore resulting in most Airlines grounding their A380s

From memory it was a faulty engine fuel line/s made by Rolls Royce and those planes cost millions

17 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I was advised by a person who has had a lot of experience in this field that if you get a massive coolant loss there is no medium to transmit the signal so by the time you smell what is happening the damage is done as happened in our case 

Same as the "good ol' days" then.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Little true story.

Must tell you something.

What it tells me is that the hire companies probably get a better deal from Toyota than Ford

Also at the retail level you can obtain a Fortuna within a week an Everest 2/3months

I have no problem with Toyota have been buying them new for years both in Aus and here last year bought a new one for my wife 

On this occasion and in my opinion and my wife more so and despite the higher cost the Everest beat the Fortuner

At the end of the day I am not really interested what other people want or buy that is their choice but with my money I buy what I want

End of story