Three men killed dog with intention to eat it, say police

webfact

Three men killed dog with intention to eat it, say police
By The Nation

UDON THANI: -- Three men have been arrested for allegedly stealing and killing a one-year-old dog with the apparent intention to eat it.

Police and the dog owner, Thepthum Saising, managed to save another five-month-old puppy from being killed when they raided the house of one of the suspects, Sompong Sanehkham, 73, on Wednesday.

Police say that when they arrived at Sompong’s house in Ban Nadon vilage in Tambon Nong Kham of Udon Thani’s Mueang district, they found him and the two other suspects – Chanrak Harinsalai, 33, and Narongsak Tarachu, 37 – apparently preparing to dissect the slain dog.

Police found the body of a female dog lying with its head crushed. Two knives and a bag of garlic were nearby.

Sompong admitted that he killed the dog because he said it bit his cows and chicken. He told police that he trapped and killed the dog but he did not intend to eat it.

Sompong also admitted that he had trapped and killed two other dogs although he said he buried them.

Thepthum said he had 10 dogs but four disappeared over the past two weeks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319429

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-29

"Three men have been arrested for allegedly stealing and killing a one-year-old dog with the apparent intention to eat it."

Obviously, these men weren't starving, and didn't need to consume dog meat in order to ward off starvation. Just some ancient belief that dog flesh is good for the soul. 

For those still living in the dark ages, dogs have more value than just being a source of food. Considering that sugar consumption and diabetes are a major part of the Thai lifestyle, how about training dogs to detect dangerous blood sugar levels?  Oh wait....Sugar good. Service dogs stupid. 

Edited by jaltsc

What's the problem? Is it illegal to eat dog in Thailand?

Obviously they shouldn't go round stealing them, but the article is not interested in the fact they were stolen, only that they were likely to be eaten. No doubt 'man steals dog isn't much of a headline'.

Really, if you care for animals, there are more pressing issues. Dogs are not an endangered species.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

What's the problem? Is it illegal to eat dog in Thailand?

Obviously they shouldn't go round stealing them, but the article is not interested in the fact they were stolen, only that they were likely to be eaten. No doubt 'man steals dog isn't much of a headline'.

Really, if you care for animals, there are more pressing issues. Dogs are not an endangered species.

Absolutely agree.  in fact it should be compulsory in Thailand to eat dogs on a Friday.  Most of them are wild, untrained and savage.

What about the thousands of cows, pigs, chickens and sheep killed, why are dogs suddenly above other animals, it's like a version of animal farm. I have no problem at all with people eating dogs, the more the better in fact.

we eat cows, horses, goats, sheep, fish, crocodile, snake, insects and with them also the baby cows, sheeps. So what is special about not eating a dog? Probably the owner should take care more of his dogs instead of let them running free. Guess Thailand has the biggest population free running dogs.   

The reason you have lots of unwanted dogs roaming the streets is because people are lazy and irresponsible in getting their animals fixed and governments are lazy regarding enforcement.  Getting a dog fixed as soon as possible will stop the problem.  My dog use to get out all the time: jumped fences, jumped out of windows, tunneled under fences.  He was fixed the day we got him thankfully. 

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

we eat cows, horses, goats, sheep, fish, crocodile, snake, insects and with them also the baby cows, sheeps. So what is special about not eating a dog? Probably the owner should take care more of his dogs instead of let them running free. Guess Thailand has the biggest population free running dogs.   

If you dont know the difference between a farmed or wild animal/insect and a dog, then you need some educating:

Quote:  "Dogs and human beings have a particular relationship, one distinctive among domestic animals: even when we work together, we work alongside. The man working with a dog in the field trusts the animal’s independent judgment. Whether that dog is herding sheep, hunting other animals, or sniffing for bombs, we place our trust in the dog’s intelligence and loyalty. We therefore accord them a respect and a place we do not grant to the other animals. That respect isn’t irrational, because it is founded in the uniqueness of the relationship. You could say the relationship itself could have been formed just as easily with some other animal—pigs, for instance. That might be true, but it’s irrelevant. Denying the existence of the relationship would be the irrational thing to do here. The relationship is a fact, and like all relationships, it comes with duties and privileges. So don’t eat dogs."

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/10/why-you-shouldnt-eat-dogs

I also think humans should not eat other humans too, and although I am aware that some humans do, I dont think that because some do, that it means that it is OK to do so too.

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

What about the thousands of cows, pigs, chickens and sheep killed, why are dogs suddenly above other animals, it's like a version of animal farm. I have no problem at all with people eating dogs, the more the better in fact.

At the risk of getting hounded for my comment, I , as a dog owner, have no problem with people who traditionally eat dog meat. However, I think most people would agree that the methods that Asians use to transport and prepare the dogs for slaughter is incredibly cruel. Beating a dog with sticks to increase adrenalin or whatever is the worst part and not humanely killing them is also a big problem. Vietnam, China and Korea are probably the worst offenders.

This is not really the forum to discuss meat eating vs vegetarianism etc, but generally speaking, in western countries there are strict controls on humane slaughter of livestock. Halal does not consider this as their methods are different.

I am sure barbecued dog meat is quite tasty, but I prefer not to eat dog meat, the same as I do not eat rat meat. I merely provide them to my Thai wife and family to mince up and make pad krapow noo . I assume using dog meat would work too.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701060-thai-rat-recipe/

The difference is that for generations, dogs and cats have been bred as companion animals, pets, whereas cows, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks etc have been bred as food animals. 

For Thailand to be recognized as a forward thinking first world country, notice should be taken of the fact that the majority of its population now recognize that eating companion animals is both unnecessary and unacceptable.

If this is in fact not the case, then the country will always be treated as primitive. 

Yeah, but. . . 

Is no dog safe here?  If they are not being rogered by randy old rogues, they're being chopped up in a garlic sauce. Now I know what is meant by the expression "a dog's life".

No wonder the stray mutts around here either snarl or run for their lives when confronted by a Thai man!

Edited by Krataiboy

The reason you have lots of unwanted dogs roaming the streets is because people are lazy and irresponsible in getting their animals fixed and governments are lazy regarding enforcement.  Getting a dog fixed as soon as possible will stop the problem.  My dog use to get out all the time: jumped fences, jumped out of windows, tunneled under fences.  He was fixed the day we got him thankfully. 

From what I heard it's not because they are lazy, it's because they feel that it's bad karma to do so. Then they don't want the poor thing after awhile so they dump it at the temple. Then nobody gets rid of them because it's bad karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes  but what is acceptable as "food" differs in different counties.

You need to stop thinking like a "westerner" if you are going to live in a foreign country

In Vietnam dog meat has been consumed for years

When I lived in what was then called Saigon, I had a dog, a stray I took care of and fed.

I learned later that someone had taken my dog and killed him for food.

It is interesting that there is as yet no law against eating dog in Thailand, although the powers have been asked by animal rights groups to pass such.
Taiwan just this year passed a law against eating dogs and cats, and is reportedly the first Asian country to do so.
There are apparently laws against trafficking in dogs for the meat trade, and there are animal cruelty statutes that come into play sometimes as well.
I reckon it is a cultural difference mostly. As some have said, why be upset if you eat other animals? No difference logically. That said, my heart will never allow me to make a meal of Fido, and I do not care for people who do. 

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

From what I heard it's not because they are lazy, it's because they feel that it's bad karma to do so. Then they don't want the poor thing after awhile so they dump it at the temple. Then nobody gets rid of them because it's bad karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great to an expat seeing things from a Thai perspective, rather than an arrogant bigots view that says it is because they think Thais are lazy, bad, stupid. I still have trouble convincing my Thai wife to tell me when she thinks I am wrong - for many cultural reasons she is extremely reluctant to do so. Not that my western ex-wife ever had that trouble - or most western woman for that matter. 

4 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

If you dont know the difference between a farmed or wild animal/insect and a dog, then you need some educating:

Quote:  "Dogs and human beings have a particular relationship, one distinctive among domestic animals: even when we work together, we work alongside. The man working with a dog in the field trusts the animal’s independent judgment. Whether that dog is herding sheep, hunting other animals, or sniffing for bombs, we place our trust in the dog’s intelligence and loyalty. We therefore accord them a respect and a place we do not grant to the other animals. That respect isn’t irrational, because it is founded in the uniqueness of the relationship. You could say the relationship itself could have been formed just as easily with some other animal—pigs, for instance. That might be true, but it’s irrelevant. Denying the existence of the relationship would be the irrational thing to do here. The relationship is a fact, and like all relationships, it comes with duties and privileges. So don’t eat dogs."

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/10/why-you-shouldnt-eat-dogs

I also think humans should not eat other humans too, and although I am aware that some humans do, I dont think that because some do, that it means that it is OK to do so too.

HEy a horse , we ride on, use for farming some have real special bond with horse, but never the less you can eat horse meat.

A dolphin is very intelligent, but in Norway slaughterd out from an ancient habbit/custom every year

Have you ever seen the dogs in Thailand, they are packs coz they are kicked out from human interaction, it cost too much for Thai and

they will attack you. You can do many things with a dog, like in USA having them fight to live or die and for another its food  

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

At the risk of getting hounded for my comment, I , as a dog owner, have no problem with people who traditionally eat dog meat. However, I think most people would agree that the methods that Asians use to transport and prepare the dogs for slaughter is incredibly cruel. Beating a dog with sticks to increase adrenalin or whatever is the worst part and not humanely killing them is also a big problem. Vietnam, China and Korea are probably the worst offenders.

This is not really the forum to discuss meat eating vs vegetarianism etc, but generally speaking, in western countries there are strict controls on humane slaughter of livestock. Halal does not consider this as their methods are different.

I am sure barbecued dog meat is quite tasty, but I prefer not to eat dog meat, the same as I do not eat rat meat. I merely provide them to my Thai wife and family to mince up and make pad krapow noo . I assume using dog meat would work too.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701060-thai-rat-recipe/

you probably never saw the secret movies how about USA people or employees in order of USA cattle farm treat the cattle !!

9 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Dog eating used to be very common and the meat is a delicacy in some parts of Thailand.

It would still be fairly widespread in Thailand had it not been for international condemnation of the dog meat trade. 

It's still pretty common in certain areas, especially for parties.

Spike Milligan joke:
A man was walking across the Nullabar Plain with his dog Rover. Half way across, they ran out of food and were on the verge of starving to death. He had no choice but to shoot the dog and cook it up. He ate the whole lot until there was just a pile of bones at his feet. The man looked down and said "Aw shoot, Rover would have loved them bones".