UBER Expensive to Chaing Mai Airport

Dazinoz

6 hours ago, srchino said:

I've done Uber to/from CM airport a few dozen times now, never even noticed so much as stinkeye from anyone in doing so, but maybe I'm just oblivious....

Good to hear.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Some off topic posts, also baiting and bickering posts have been removed also replies

Thank you.

Hard to do any posts on here without someone making negative comments

31 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Thank you.

I think I understand. Posts calling people cheap and suggesting they should leave the country are OK.

Replying to those posts constitutes baiting and bickering.  

Got it. 

Download the 'Grab' app. works just as well as Uber. You can request a grab private vehicle or a grab taxi. Grab Taxi is regular taxi, but rate is below regular taxi. was at my place in less than 2 minutes. Before most services wanted 150 baht to the airport. Grab taxi was 88 baht. Go to to airport in a taxi, no hassles from other taxis...

21 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I think I understand. Posts calling people cheap and suggesting they should leave the country are OK.

Got it. 

so to make an insult is ok, but to respond is not? Is that what you are saying?

I mean I don't think you are saying that I mean thats what the mod is saying.

Edited by Dazinoz
Text added.

1 minute ago, Rama said:

Download the 'Grab' app. works just as well as Uber. You can request a grab private vehicle or a grab taxi. Grab Taxi is regular taxi, but rate is below regular taxi. was at my place in less than 2 minutes. Before most services wanted 150 baht to the airport. Grab taxi was 88 baht. Go to to airport in a taxi, no hassles from other taxis...

Thanks for that.

23 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Got it. 

Its becoming a sad world when when we look after the #@$%^ people.

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Thank you.

Oh, I see. No-one is allowed to express a different point of view. So why have the thread at all?

19 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Really. Where?

Good question. Can't think of anywhere cheaper ( Philippines? Cambodia? ) so perhaps it's living in the back of a car in Australia, which appears to be an increasing trend according to the media.

Good question. Can't think of anywhere cheaper ( Philippines? Cambodia? ) so perhaps it's living in the back of a car in Australia, which appears to be an increasing trend according to the media.

Was actually asking where in the thread people were complaining about 50 to 100 baht as you mention.

Me. I was curious as to why it was more expensive to go to the airport. Not complying. Only your brain think that.

20 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Was actually asking where in the thread people were complaining about 50 to 100 baht as you mention.

Me. I was curious as to why it was more expensive to go to the airport. Not complying. Only your brain think that.

Well, I would have thought most reasonable people would conclude from your question you were asking where they could live if they could not afford to live here. My mistake.

3 hours ago, Rama said:

Also my experience.

UBER s.cks in CM, tried it 4 months ago - asking me to book 24h in advance, never again ... and deleted the app. ( Have to confess, I am also not so keen to support Kalanick and alikes...)

GRAB works well in CM, responsive, acceptable pricing. ... In the meantime, the GF is using them also.

UBER works great for me in CM.  I've used it several times including once to the airport - where the driver was a bit concerned even though I was in the front seat.  

But one Sunday morning 10 am in Bangkok UBER quoted 775 baht to BKK from downtown (Asok). I took the train.

Well, I would have thought most reasonable people would conclude from your question you were asking where they could live if they could not afford to live here. My mistake.

You are such a negative person

Downloaded it. Registered and checked prices to airport. Closed app and continued getting ready. Next thing taxi driver phoning me. Obviously I had booked unknowingly.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I don't care how much it is.  I still want to support Uber drivers.

Do you not care how much anything costs or does the comment only apply to Uber drivers.

If it applies to only Uber drivers can I ask why you would be happy to pay 'whatever' to an unregulated, and possibly illegal organization in this area, with little or no chance of any redress if the billing/journey all goes wrong?

You are also of course denying legitimate taxi drivers in their 'regulated and inspected' vehicles from earning their legitimate living and livelihood.

PS;  I cannot believe that people are 'arguing' over 50-100 Baht difference in price to get to an International Airport from a city centre!

Dazinoz: Your point?

Consistency matters, I believe, and if we can't discuss other illegal issues, why are we able to talk about this one? I mean I don't agree with all the rules here, but I do feel that they should be applied equally. 

Thailand's transport authorities have already fined scores of drivers and want the government to take down the app. You don't get fined for something that's NOT illegal. 

Why is this an open thread? 

3 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

Also my experience.

UBER s.cks in CM, tried it 4 months ago - asking me to book 24h in advance, never again ... and deleted the app. ( Have to confess, I am also not so keen to support Kalanick and alikes...)

GRAB works well in CM, responsive, acceptable pricing. ... In the meantime, the GF is using them also.

Uber has never asked to book 24 hours in advance – not in Chiang Mai and not anywhere. Advance booking is not even possible with Uber.

No worries about supporting Travis Kalanick. You might have heard that he doesn't work at Uber now.

Dazinoz: Your point?

Consistency matters, I believe, and if we can't discuss other illegal issues, why are we able to talk about this one? I mean I don't agree with all the rules here, but I do feel that they should be applied equally. 
Thailand's transport authorities have already fined scores of drivers and want the government to take down the app. You don't get fined for something that's NOT illegal. 

Why is this an open thread? 

A Thaivisa news article on the 27th June stated that the DLT has said Uber is ok as long as they follow the rules. So I guess IS legal.

14 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

You are such a negative person

Did the last two words of my post go straight through to the wicketkeeper?

If you had used the expression "who" instead of "where" in your previous post, it would have made sense.

Do you not care how much anything costs or does the comment only apply to Uber drivers.

If it applies to only Uber drivers can I ask why you would be happy to pay 'whatever' to an unregulated, and possibly illegal organization in this area, with little or no chance of any redress if the billing/journey all goes wrong?

You are also of course denying legitimate taxi drivers in their 'regulated and inspected' vehicles from earning their legitimate living and livelihood.

PS;  I cannot believe that people are 'arguing' over 50-100 Baht difference in price to get to an International Airport from a city centre!

Are those legitimate taxi drivers the same ones who illegally refuse to use their meter?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Uber is way cheaper and certainly better service than the local taxi mafia. I would not bother to take a stinky 20y/o pickup to the airport and pay him 250B for sitting on a rotten wooden seat.

The trick for Uber is simply to sit in front and pay before you arrive, Nobody is going to surround and harass you. Give the lady a kiss if you want, and all  is settled. 

Edited by MadMac

I've used Uber and mostly Grab, haven't noticed or paid attention to price fluctuations.   If high traffic time or areas, it makes sense.  

I usually walk away from the airport or bus station at least to clear the hoards of taxis before ordering a ride.  I sit in front and tell the driver to let me out away from the taxis when dropping off. 

I will not take a red truck in CM as long as Uber/Grab is available.  They have burned that bridge. As far as the taxis.  If they used a meter I would use them.    

It would be even better to have public transit from those locations.  That would benefit everyone.  Happy travels.  

On 7/2/2017 at 4:29 PM, scottiejohn said:

I ask why you would be happy to pay 'whatever' to an unregulated, and possibly illegal organization in this area, with little or no chance of any redress if the billing/journey all goes wrong?

You are on the right track - but 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

UBER makes adjustments (in the customer's favor) at times without even being asked to do so.

It's a good idea for single women, too.  In case of driver misconduct there is a record of who, when, where.  Red truck or tuk tuk, not so much. 

On 7/2/2017 at 4:29 PM, scottiejohn said:

What is your opposition to Uber?

Possibly illegal?  
I've no expectations of redress for anything in thailand.

I'm not denying taxi drivers anything.  I am choosing to use an alternative source.  If I fly AirAsia, am I denying Nok Air? 

In my experience using Uber/Grab, I have not had one bad or near bad experience yet.  I do not feel it is any less safe than a friend taking me some place.  It is certainly much safer than the back of a red truck or inside a tuk tuk.  

Why do you care how someone spends their 50-100 baht?  The majority of people tend to shop around for best prices or discounts, looking for the best value.  

Edited by Nowisee

Having used Uber for about three years now in several different countries, I have had two issues with Uber drivers and both were the result of the driver somehow getting lost and taking the long way. In both cases, I submitted a fare review to Uber and they promptly and acceptably redressed both issues by refunding my total fare.

Now regarding redress issues pertaining to taxis, tuk tuks and songtaews: What has been your success with redressing issues and receiving refunds with them for overcharging, illegal safety violations or perhaps a taxi illegally refusing to use the meter? Did you file a complaint with the government or the taxi mafia or the tuktuk cooperative? Were your issue resolved and was that redress procedure an advantage compared to using Uber?

On 7/1/2017 at 6:34 PM, bazza73 said:

If I've read this right, we have posters on this thread stressing out about saving 50 to 100 baht on a ride to the airport.

I take a taxi from the airport to Nong Hoi, because they are there. I take whatever the desk at my condo calls up, and I don't care if it's a regular taxi, Uber, or a private vehicle. All I need is for it to get me there.

Could I suggest if 50-100 baht saving is such a big deal, then perhaps you can't afford to live here.

I didn't read anyone using Uber/Grab mention stressing out about saving 50-100 baht.  
Why do you feel that what you do is the only right way?  You suggest that if someone takes the initiative and uses another resource to take an alternative method, they are not doing it right? They should simply call the desk and let them handle it all?

Uber/Grab will get you there.
You have become the monetary police and financial advisor to those that look for value.  Based on saving 50-100 baht, you suggest they can't afford to live here.  Amazing analysis.

Edited by Nowisee

On 7/2/2017 at 7:01 PM, Dazinoz said:

A Thaivisa news article on the 27th June stated that the DLT has said Uber is ok as long as they follow the rules. So I guess IS legal.

The rule is vehicle must be registered as taxi (commercial plate) which the Grab taxis I have seen in Bangkok are and hotel vehicles are.  Private cars used for paid transport have been illegal for the 50 years I have been travelling here (even when the only transport from DMG (taxi not allowed) was private officers cars driven by airmen in their off-time (been chased by police more than once when in such).

So if you are using a private plated vehicle you should sit in front seat or have a much higher risk of police stop and be aware you are taking money from those being taxed for providing legal transport services.

Walk to Airport Plaza, yellow to Chiang mai gate for 10 THB, but lately there are quite a few busses, and you can get to Suan Dok or Ram for 10 THB...no a-c but more comfy than songtaew.  If I have a lot of stuff late...flat fee 200 to CMU...or 100 on a red otherwise leaving empty.