Horror in paradise - tourist digs up corpse on holiday beach in Koh Samui

On 3/7/2560 at 8:05 PM, Luckysilk said:

What is happening to this country ? It's gets worse by the day.

Shocking News !

Not so bad! - I follow the Homicide rates since long.

Homicide rate per 100.000 People is in

Thailand - 3,51 Intentional Homicide rate even less high then that in the USA - 4,88  per. 100.000 People  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Seems you don't think much of Myanmar people - and for sure it must have been one of "them" as no Thai would do anything like this - seems that was said before under similar circumstances by someone of importance (currently).  

Considering that She was Burmese herself and She lived with Burmese, it is quite possibly was a Burmese who carried out the murder .

I do not think that any Burmese will get framed for this murder

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Low lifes robing a mentally ill woman who has nothing.

My vote goes for public hanging !

Take-em to Koh Tao to hang them....... seems the right place............

7 hours ago, balo said:

The suspects are Burmese, nothing wrong with that, remember 70% of the workers on these islands are foreigners from Myanmar and Laos.

Not anymore. 5,000 of them have been rounded up on Samui alone and are being deported as I write.

3 hours ago, sambum said:

The figures from a well known UK periodical would suggest that you are right:-

"Last year 61 people were stabbed to death in London, while 29 people have been killed in 2017, up from 23 for the same period the year before."

However, (surprise, surprise,) I can't find any figures for Bangkok or indeed any town/city in Thailand!

And i would take an educated guess that the majority of those were gang related. This victim, as many on the neighbouring islands are in a different category and that it what tourists should be wary of.

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I've lived here for 12 years and i feel safe, wouldn't feel safe in London with all those stabbings going on, seems like a national sport.

A completely illogical Post whether you have personally encountered threat of violence or not in London or Samui.

But you feel safe on a group of islands where tourists are clearly being targeted. You would be happy for young English backpacker friends / associates to travel to Samui / Thao would you? Would you give them a warning or just say i have been here 12 years and nothing has happened to me !

When was the last time a tourist was murdered and dumped in the River Thames. How many tourists in London comparedwith the number on Samui / Phangan / Thao???

7 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

One more. Thailand is NOT a safe country.

Not so bad! - I follow the Homicide rates since long.

Homicide rate per 100.000 People is in

Thailand - 3,51 Intentional Homicide rate even less high then that in the USA - 4,88  per. 100.000 People  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

This is the part I find difficult to understand.

Why go to all the bother of robbing and murdering a bag lady who probably has nothing of value rather than go for more lucrative prey? Another murder where the motives of the murderers doesn`t add up.

She had a gold chain the article said.  So....yeah.

2 hours ago, Slip said:

Didn't she have a one baht gold necklace that disappeared?

Yes, you make a valid point.

Could it be that Koh Tao and Koh Samui are infested with scum people; thieves, rapists, drug addicts and low end criminals from Burma that have accounted for all these deaths over the last few years? That in fact there is not a serial killer on the loose but rather several bunches of people committing these crimes. I really don`t know what to make of all this any more.   

6 hours ago, sambum said:

The figures from a well known UK periodical would suggest that you are right:-

"Last year 61 people were stabbed to death in London, while 29 people have been killed in 2017, up from 23 for the same period the year before."

However, (surprise, surprise,) I can't find any figures for Bangkok or indeed any town/city in Thailand!

But I don't recall any jihadist lunatics running around stabbing and killing people last year, so that incident may have queered the figures a bit?

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

yes but if you add the ratio of population in the count...some surprises may occur...

Quick analysis here:

Samui
62,500 residents

1,500,000 tourists per year
Average length of stay 4.52 days (http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/)
Therefore it takes 80.75 tourists to equal one full years stay (365/4.52)
18,575.85 tourists in samui per day averaged across the year

Therefore we have 81,075 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in Samui

Koh Tao
1,382 residents

100,000 tourists per year
Average length of stay 4.52 days (unavailable but estimated as similar to http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/)
1,238.4 tourists in samui per day averaged across the year

Therefore we have 2,620 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in Koh Tao

London
8,788,000 residents

31,500,000 tourists per year
Average length of stay 4.6 days (https://www.statista.com/statistics/487688/average-length-of-stay-london-united-kingdom/)
Therefore it takes 79.35 tourists to equal one full years stay (365/4.6)
396,975 tourists in london per day averaged across the year

Therefore we have 9,184,975 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in London

London homicides per year were at last count 118, so 1 per 77,838 people

Assuming the same ratio, we'd expect to see:

Samui - 81,075 / 77,838 = 1.04 homicides per year
Koh Tao - 2,620 / 77,838 = 0.03366 homicides per year (one every 29 years)

9 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Quick analysis here:

Samui
62,500 residents

1,500,000 tourists
Average length of stay 4.52 days (http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/)

Therefore we have 81,075 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in Samui

Koh Tao
1,382 residents

100,000 tourists

Therefore we have 2,620 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in Koh Tao

London
8,788,000 residents

31,500,000 tourists
Average length of stay 4.6 days (https://www.statista.com/statistics/487688/average-length-of-stay-london-united-kingdom/)

Therefore we have 9,184,975 residents + tourists per day averaged across year in London

Samui - 81,075 / 77,838 = 1.04 murders per year
Koh Tao - 2,620 / 77,838 = 0.03366 murders per year (one every 29 years)

nice thanks for the trouble and time in the figures.......so why are people complaining?....these are the safest places on earth since the ratio's are there to protect us!!...as our good friends in cool places would say..."this is all a big misunderstanding"©

1 hour ago, mikosan said:

But I don't recall any jihadist lunatics running around stabbing and killing people last year, so that incident may have queered the figures a bit?

You're probably right, but it would still be interesting to find some (trustworthy) stats for Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket!

25 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Quick analysis here:

Samui
62,500 residents

1,500,000 tourists per year

Koh Tao
1,382 residents

100,000 tourists per year
Average length of stay 4.52 days (unavailable but estimated as similar to http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/)

London
8,788,000 residents

31,500,000 tourists per year

Samui - 81,075 / 77,838 = 1.04 homicides per year

God ru really that bored?

20 hours ago, JLCrab said:

That's right -- the only persons without a vested interested  in Koh Tao are persons who have never been there and have no first-hand knowledge of the environs but have lived in Thailand and sure as heck know who's who and what's what.

But if you've been there and say "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" then all your instincts about the place are on target.

I've been there. Another one that's appeared again all of a sudden, the Koh Toa shit must have really hit the fan, again!

7 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Not especially, took about 5 minutes with Peep Show on in the background. I like data and puzzles in my downtime and the family are all in bed :D

555 you couldn't type that whole post in 5 minutes, maybe 5 hours but I think the result is about right:

Maybe Koh Toa is due a good spell of no deaths, statistically, I mean?

2 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I've been there. Another one that's appeared again all of a sudden, the Koh Toa shit must have really hit the fan, again!

Hey there fellow crustacean -- hadn't signed on since January 2017 before last week. Glad you noticed. Some people I guess never un-appear just keep it coming non-interrupted.

15 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

One more. Thailand is NOT a safe country.

Citation needed. Do you mean that more people are murdered and robbed in Thailand than in America per capita? I think that depends on where you are from.  If you are a poor migrant worker from Burma or Laos, you are right, not safe.  Of course, it's probably not that safe in those countries either for such people.  But if you are American, the chances of you being stabbed for a necklace are lower than if you live in Los Angeles I'd guess.  Of course, Thailand being a third world country, it's hard to say what's true because it's hard to measure, but murders per capita is probably easy to track.  

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

As it was a Burmese victim and she was living with Burmese , the murders could quite probably be Burmese also

Does that mean that Hannah and David, who were English, and mainly socialized with fellow English, could quite probably have been murdered by the English? Free Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo!

Archived