Eggs on tree stumps - any ideas?

Andrew Dwyer

Saw, yesterday, on a walk up to a temple ( wat pa khlong sip et ) several eggs placed on tree stumps, must have been about 8 or 9 at intervals of about 50 to 100 yards.

Asked the gf but she knows nothing.

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Just for curiosity [emoji51]

Worker forgot their boiled egg lunch on first stump.

People then come to the temple to make merit and seeing first egg think it is something to do with merit making . Without knowing the reasoning behind it they nonetheless start putting eggs on succeeding stumps.

So.....not stumped any more I hope.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Worker forgot their boiled egg lunch on first stump.

People then come to the temple to make merit and seeing first egg think it is something to do with merit making . Without knowing the reasoning behind it they nonetheless start putting eggs on succeeding stumps.

So.....not stumped any more I hope.

Yes how true, but am amazed OP's wife doesn't know - On the news there was a Thai that offered something like 50,000 eggs as a blessing for good luck

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

Yes how true, but am amazed OP's wife doesn't know - On the news there was a Thai that offered something like 50,000 eggs as a blessing for good luck

Just another yokel shelling out for merit.......pretty common here.

She is my gf not my wife , what has she been saying !! [emoji51]

I assumed it was just some merit making deal but as she didn't know I thought I would ask the question as she's usually pretty good on these type of questions .

Thais will go to ask for something from a spirit which can reside in all manner of places and promise to give back something in return .... usually food and often a large amount of eggs. If the thing they ask for 'coincidentally' occurs, they will offer and place the food / eggs / items where they believe the spirit lives.

10 hours ago, BEVUP said:

That is silly.  But the 300 pigs head's in Koran a  few months ago was just gross.  The egg on tree stumps will.be some superstitious nonsense.  People make this stuff up as they go along.  Thai Buddhism contains huge amounts of previous Buddhist animist stuff. Like Christianity borrowing  theI mid winter solstice as Christ's birthday and Easter fertility rites as his death.

Edited by The Deerhunter

14 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

That is silly.  But the 300 pigs head's in Koran a  few months ago was just gross.  The egg on tree stumps will.be some superstitious nonsense.  People make this stuff up as they go along.  Thai Buddhism contains huge amounts of previous Buddhist animist stuff. Like Christianity borrowing  theI mid winter solstice as Christ's birthday and Easter fertility rites as his death.

300 pig heads in a Koran? That's not going o go over very well!