Retirement Visa taxed on imported household goods.

Recently my friend who has a valid retirement visa had to pay on household goods that he brought in from the USA. He was well under the limit. 

He attempted to show them his retirement visa AND his status as a Department of Defense in The USA,, at the port. They refused without explanation. He then contacted immigration and was told that they could do nothing.

Where should he go for help? A lawyer would be too expensive.

Immigration has nothing whatever to do with customs. The only thing Immigration can do is issue a letter attesting to a person's visa status.

I'm not sure what the limit is you refer to.

While r it is true that used household effects brought in by someone who is establishing residence in Thailand, or a Thailand resident who has been abroad for  a year or more, are supposed to be free of duty http://search.customs.go.th:8090/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

From the customs website the required documentation includes a work permit. There does not seem to be a provision for retirees. http://search.customs.go.th:8090/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold#document

What limit?

Only those with work permits are exempt from duty on household goods. See: http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_02

Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand are regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

I am not surpriced... The law says clearly that it is only personal effects that are admitted into the country free of taxes, when you fulfill certain requirements.

The list what actually is personal effects is very very narrow, and most of the goods imported is considerated to be other than personal effects, and consequently being treated like plain import.

The thing happened here is that your friend just plainly have alot of stuff that Thailand consider to be other than personal effects, it is just that simple...

I see this on a daily basis so nothing strange. I know that there are people who gbets their personal goods through without problem, others pay... it is just plain luck or no luck in having the honest officers dealing with your import, 

Glegolo

Liberty9133 Your friend does not have a retirement VISA because there is no such thing,

what he probable has is an extension of his (temporary) permission to stay on the grounds

of retirement, it is not a visa and does not amount to a residence permit it is simply permission 

to stay in Thailand temporarily for one year.

As far as I am aware there is no limit to the amount of personal items you may bring into the

country as long as you are prepared to pay any and all duty that may be due on same.

When I retired and had my 40 years worth of personal tools sent to me here in Thailand it cost

me 20,000 baht duty to import them, I was not happy but it was pay or lose them, why do you

think it should/would be any different for your friend?

I recall reading some place trustworthy, that the catch is on how you declare the goods on the form. Unless mistaken, they should be mentioned as used personnal effets and not plainly houshold goods...

another option would be to bring small items in check-in luggage if possible, and just pass through customs.. but  many are correct here is saying that all depends on the level of honesty of the customs chap on arrival!..They don't seen to give a damn if anybody is CIA, DOD or whatever...hope it get's sorted out for your friend!

Edited by observer90210

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

I am not surpriced... The law says clearly that it is only personal effects that are admitted into the country free of taxes, when you fulfill certain requirements.

The list what actually is personal effects is very very narrow, and most of the goods imported is considerated to be other than personal effects, and consequently being treated like plain import.

The thing happened here is that your friend just plainly have alot of stuff that Thailand consider to be other than personal effects, it is just that simple...

I see this on a daily basis so nothing strange. I know that there are people who gbets their personal goods through without problem, others pay... it is just plain luck or no luck in having the honest officers dealing with your import, 

Glegolo

dont doubt what you say in the slightest; pity tho we have to rely on luck;

civilized countries have clear policies and competent people that 'enforce' them

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

dont doubt what you say in the slightest; pity tho we have to rely on luck;

civilized countries have clear policies and competent people that 'enforce' them

you are very true!!....in that case, why?......why are we all here quibbling to live long term in Thailand, including myself?:cheesy::welcomeani:

Clearly stated by Customs ..............

• Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)........................... 

I suggest you friend reads the Thai Customs Dept website for full details.....

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_02

And 

http://search.customs.go.th:8090/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

Edited by perthperson
Added a link

There was an old law years ago that as a legal foreign retiree you were supposedly allowed to bring into country certain personal items "free from duty or Vat" if you retired into Thailand.

I head about this so-called "law" back in the late 1990s years ago.

That was back when I first started thinking about "retiring in Thailand" and I remember it being in my "planning" for retirement

However there have been at least two military  coups since that time and  new governments installed and I have never heard any more info on that subject.

As I said I heard back then that you might be allowed to bring in one shipment of personal household items as a retiree duty free when you came to Thailand to retire here.

But that was years ago and as far as I know that law has long gone since that time with the change in governments in Thailand.

I believe that is "old info" and now longer valid.

• Like 1

There was an old law years ago that as a legal foreign retiree you were supposedly allowed to bring into country certain personal items "free from duty or Vat" if you retired into Thailand.
I head about this so-called "law" back in the late 1990s years ago.
That was back when I first started thinking about "retiring in Thailand" and I remember it being in my "planning" for retirement
However there have been at least two military  coups since that time and  new governments installed and I have never heard any more info on that subject.
As I said I heard back then that you might be allowed to bring in one shipment of personal household items as a retiree duty free when you came to Thailand to retire here.
But that was years ago and as far as I know that law has long gone since that time with the change in governments in Thailand.
I believe that is "old info" and now longer valid.

AFAIK never was such a law, arlt least not in the past 20 years or so.

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Only in your mind I believe! 

• 9 months later...
On 2017-07-07 at 12:17 PM, perthperson said:

Only in your mind I believe! 

Maybe not!!! I remember that the law said that during the first year of extension household goods, or rather what they considerated to be household goods, would be allowed into Thailand taxfree...

glegolo

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Maybe not!!! I remember that the law said that during the first year of extension household goods, or rather what they considerated to be household goods, would be allowed into Thailand taxfree...

There was once an allowance for those on retirement extensions or a OA visa but it was rescinded many years ago.

When you move or retire to Thailand, they want you to spend money in Thailand. And there is no better way to get you to spend money than to buy furniture, kitchenware, tables, cooking utensils, electronics, even books.  So just get yourself down to the store and start buying. It's all part of the package.

29 minutes ago, zydeco said:

When you move or retire to Thailand, they want you to spend money in Thailand. And there is no better way to get you to spend money than to buy furniture, kitchenware, tables, cooking utensils, electronics, even books.  So just get yourself down to the store and start buying. It's all part of the package.

There is no freaking "package".. This is a corrupt country with corrupt persons. And most corrupted is the police and within the police the customs officiers are by far the most corrupted people... There are no overall package as you seems to believe... They are just hunting for money in whatever way that works....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

He attempted to show them his retirement visa AND his status as a Department of Defense in The USA

Status as a "Dept of Defense" What in the world does that mean? Old US soldiers can bring their knapsacks in without any customs charges? Somebody had had too many at the battalion get together.

23 hours ago, glegolo said:

There is no freaking "package".. This is a corrupt country with corrupt persons. And most corrupted is the police and within the police the customs officiers are by far the most corrupted people... There are no overall package as you seems to believe... They are just hunting for money in whatever way that works....

glegolo

Sounds like . . . Oh, never mind. Not worth it.