Decree That Sparked Migrant Worker Panic Becomes Law

webfact

Decree That Sparked Migrant Worker Panic Becomes Law

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%87%E0%  

Migrant workers are aboard a vessel Monday heading from Ranong province to Myanmar.

BANGKOK — The junta-appointed legislature approved without amendment Thursday the emergency decree that recently prompted an exodus of migrant workers.

Members voted 177-0 with 11 abstentions to adopt the controversial Royal Decree on managing foreign labor into law, despite complaints from both public and private sectors that its punishments are unreasonably harsh and driving the economy’s main workforce out of the country.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/07/07/decree-sparked-migrant-worker-panic-becomes-law/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-07

5 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

177 - 0

No one sees a problem?

No one has a better idea for a better law?

That is sad.

Problem?  We don't see no problem.

Better Idea?  Our Dear leader always has the best, most wonderful ideas. 

We are not mindless robots.  Only brainless people. 

Nice statement: 

“It was a bad situation for us when the 300 baht minimum wage policy was approved, but this is worse,” said the confederation’s Nauvarat Songswaddichai.

300 Thb for an Employee was bad, so we kicked them all out and replaced them with illegal foreing labors with less salaries.

But how and with whom do we replace illegal foreigners?

Given the chaos the new law has produced BEFORE it even came into action and with multiple industries now suffering from no staff, had these people had functioning brains, they would not have passed this law in its current form. Going back to the traditional ways of creating law, including discussion and input from relevant departments and industries would have been the smart thing to do. Obviously though, this is Thailand, so smart is not something you can rely upon, as the 177-0 vote just showed.

Seems like their PM isn't being listened to. I was of the understanding that he had held this for 120 days or have I read that wrong? The article in the OP doesn't seem to mention that, only the registration period from 24 July through August.

They reckon 60,000 have already crossed the border to Burma. This isn't going to be pretty for the economy when the figures start escalating. 

31 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

177 - 0

No one sees a problem?

That is sad.

Yes; sad it is indeed. This is a country ruled by one man. The leader cannot be contradicted no matter what the undesired consequences of his decisions might be. 

6 hours ago, Khun Robert said:

Nice statement: 

“It was a bad situation for us when the 300 baht minimum wage policy was approved, but this is worse,” said the confederation’s Nauvarat Songswaddichai.

300 Thb for an Employee was bad, so we kicked them all out and replaced them with illegal foreing labors with less salaries.

very well said; pity it is sad; the mentality of the ruling law makers is a real issue

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Members voted 177-0

Is there a Thai word for shameless or spineless ?  This sort of news only hurts Thailand's image, making it look autocratic and run by simpletons who do nothing for the country as a whole.  At least before, there was debate.  Today the vacant and vapid run Thailand, as you can see by these types of votes. 

Is there a Thai word for shameless or spineless ?  This sort of news only hurts Thailand's image, making it look autocratic and run by simpletons who do nothing for the country as a whole.  At least before, there was debate.  Today the vacant and vapid run Thailand, as you can see by these types of votes. 

It is autocratic and...

18 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Seems like their PM isn't being listened to. I was of the understanding that he had held this for 120 days or have I read that wrong? The article in the OP doesn't seem to mention that, only the registration period from 24 July through August.

They reckon 60,000 have already crossed the border to Burma. This isn't going to be pretty for the economy when the figures start escalating. 

It does mention it:

The situation prompted Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to use his self-granted absolute power Tuesday to delay its implementation to next year.

thinks like a soldier never a politician,  building site opp my condo, just a skeleton crew there now. thats just one place, as said this is going to hurt the economy, those in control just cant see it.

20 hours ago, Khun Robert said:

Nice statement: 

Exactly.

Complain the local workers don't want to do the job.

Then we hire foreign workers, for a lower pay.

The profits go up.

Good.

Now those foreign workers disappear.

Must hire local workers for 300 baht.

My profit, my profit, oh dear my profit.

Well, no problem.

We will pay less than the 300 baht.

Or let them work 12 hours a day, or deduct for water, for food, the use of tools.

No problem.

Edited by hansnl

Due to things improving in Myanmar maybe the workers can find a job over there and don't want to come back to Thailand.

Who are going to do the work now?

Everyone in Thailand is going to feel the backlash from this,just remember if it wasn't for the greed of the Thai employers this never would have happened.

I think this is not quite correct.  AFAIK it was Royal Decree that actually took affect on 23 June.  It was not a Phor Ror Bor (Act of Parliament) that needed public hearings and a majority vote in the legislature.  I think the NLA was given the opportunity to debate it after the enactment and could have suggested amendments that, of course, could have been implemented through a further Royal Decree, if the executive branch agreed with them.   As it is Prayut has pre-empted the process by using Section 44 to amend his own decree without waiting for the NLA.  

21 hours ago, Khun Robert said:

Nice statement: 

foreigners. some are desperate to stay in thailand and will do so for 100thb/day.

21 hours ago, Khun Robert said:

Nice statement: 

The 300 baht minimum wage was a result of the governments bad decision to allow Thais credit. The result being they (unsurprisingly) got in to too much debt, so the government keeled over to their demands to raise salaries to 300 baht per day to cushion the blow, thus driving up inflation.

22 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

177 - 0

No one sees a problem?

That is sad.

Yabbut, 11 abstentions dude.... (probably in the toilet when the vote was cast).

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thailand, going downhill faster than a waxed snowboard, they obviously don't think through the implications of their actions do they ? Thailand 0000.04

can get even worse; watch them muck up immigration for us expats

22 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Perhaps he should pen a new poem about it.

51 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Thailand is never going to be a Singapore. 

While it's neighbors on all side progress and move forward, Thailand is moving backwards and will be more like Nigeria when it's all said and done.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yabbut, 11 abstentions dude.... (probably in the toilet when the vote was cast).

I would imagine it would take a lot of guts to to hold your hand up and vote against the General who would duly be taking note, his huge ego and using Art44 would not be able to tolerate such mutinous thinking, even abstaining would be pushing your luck, i would think! 

On 7/7/2017 at 4:25 PM, Cadbury said:

Yes; sad it is indeed. This is a country ruled by one man. The leader cannot be contradicted no matter what the undesired consequences of his decisions might be. 

You are so 'Right'............. Can't help but wonder what influence the King could have and what he is thinking........... I can't recall hearing anything from the King since he ascended the throne...........

Just my curiosity......