Prayut prepares for eventual meeting with Trump

webfact

Prayut prepares for eventual meeting with Trump
By THE NATION

a4ff8f326ba238429d92c53b5f427f1c.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THE MEETING between Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha and the US President Donald Trump is confirmed to be postponed from the initial schedule set for later this month.

But the meeting will surely take place, said Deputy Government Spokesman Lt-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak.

Thai authorities will continue to prepare information and talking points for the bilateral discussion, he added.

And Trump’s invitation to Prayut via introductory phone call in April also remains in effect, Werachon said, citing the US Embassy in Bangkok.

However, Werachon could not confirm whether the meeting would take place this year, given Prayut’s busy schedule for the rest of the year, including the Royal Funeral of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej in October and other Royal ceremonies later this year.

Since late May, the Commerce Ministry and Foreign Ministry have been responding to Prayut’s orders to prepare for the Trump meeting with points on issues including trade and investment, intellectual property and security matters.

Military chiefs also took stock of US-made military hardware, including the Army’s 12 Black Hawk helicopters, to provide Prayut with adequate information prior to his visit to White House.

However, Defence Ministry spokesperson Maj-General Kongcheep Tantrawanich said that that this did not mean Thailand expects to agree on military purchases from the US any time soon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30320314

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-10

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

However, Werachon could not confirm whether the meeting would take place this year, given Prayut’s busy schedule for the rest of the year

Yeah, that is the problem.

Prayut is too busy.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

like it is important in the scheme of things ............................sorry it isn't, get on with human rights and free speech and start changing some other stuff and the west might actually give the time of day - for now you are going the wrong direction  - don't make the mistake of thinking that immigration control in any country in the west is somehow related to freedom - it isn't, it is about the treatment of your citizens rights and sorry to say that Thailand is really going the wrong way.....................yes fight corruption enemy No1 - fight human abuses - reform the police so that they actually do their job - primary number one objective is getting to grips with the appalling deaths on Thailands roads primarily because people just do whatever they like even though they know they are doing wrong....why ? because they can through total lack of enforcement

Sorry Thailand but you are still 3rd world, why have you lagged behind countries like Singapore S. Korea Japan and Malaysia ......because you just can't get out of the gutter ................ what is that gutter ? well it is stamping out corruption - that is number one - manipulation of everything, stamping it out comes a proper globally respected Justice system - lets begin with dismantling of the police run and owned forensic labs - how is that in the interests of anyone - next, life jail sentences for people like medical examiners and forensic people who produce certain reports because they are told to do so and those that tried to influence them get an automatic life jail term also - you want to get serious about corruption

oh yes there is corruption in "say" somewhere like Japan, there always will be - but if they find it there is a robust trusted system there to deal with it

Yes I am ranting, but lets be serious for a moment, that is what Thailand is bringing to the table when they meet up with western leaders and leaders of properly developed Asian Nations

Thailand produces stuff for other "developed"  nations, they do absolutely nothing on their own..........name me one Thai car brand that was designed in Thailand and is a Thai brand ................................?

reality is harsh but it needs to be said, personally I would give the US visit a miss because I wouldn't have much to offer except  military collaboration in SEA  which I am sure the US pays for - apart from that ?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Yeah, that is the problem.

Prayut is too busy.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The real reason is he hasn't actually received an official invitation,  he shot his mouth off to soon making an invitation to himself on behalf of Trump.  Now its oops, how do I clean up this egg on my face?  Tell Donald I'm to busy for an audience with him, now where did I put my book of poetry.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This will go down in history as a meeting of two of the worst leaders ever.

Yes a meeting between the general and HRC would be, oh I am sorry HRC was so bad she didn't win the election. Don't complain about your president each country gets the leaders they deserve, including Thailand and the US. 

4 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Yes a meeting between the general and HRC would be, oh I am sorry HRC was so bad she didn't win the election. Don't complain about your president each country gets the leaders they deserve, including Thailand and the US. 

But Thailand won't get what they deserve until a fair, transparent election is held.  No citizens deserve to have their country stolen from them by an aggressive army.

Well a good idea Trump and Prayut meet up so 2 fantastic story tellers are on 1 place together and tell the world how it would be more worse if they not rule the countries!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, our government met with Trump, now the idiots not only seem to want to place economic sanctions on China (our #1 Trading Partner) but are talking about a missile defense shield ($$$) against N Korea.

Perhaps Thailand should consider the price of subservience.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump’s invitation to Prayut via introductory phone call in April

When I read this I can't help but think of those social occasions where people constantly say to perfect strangers, after 5 minutes of inept and polite conversation  :"you know what ? we really should get together sometimes" ...

Normally both parties are fully aware that the get-together will never happen, but the occasional uninformed guest will boast to his friends after the cocktail party is over : "hey ! you know what, pals ? me and the President are gonna have dinner together soon!"

Mind you, if I were invited for a dinner with the Donald, I'd look at my agenda and say : "I'm sorry but I'm fully booked for the next 20 years". And I'm not kidding.

Edited by Yann55

And there you have the problem ! How could it be possible in Thailand to have a fair transparent election, free from mass bribery ? I would venture to say this is not remotely possible under present circumstances. The army taking over was a necessary step to avoid imminent civil war, but a great disappointment when they started coming up with loads of silly rules and regulations.

However, Werachon could not confirm whether the meeting would take place this year, given Prayut’s busy schedule for the rest of the year

(But in reality will attend the white house meeting in a New York second)