Prayut urges drinkers to sober up for Buddhist Lent period

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, smedly said:

well my interpretation of this news topic is a steep rise in tax on drink to pay for the huge defence budget that they cannot afford or need

within the next 2 months expect a huge rise in alcohol tax and I mean huge, and like the last rise on cigs that was supposed to be a few % was in reality more like 40%

They really are going to kill tourism in Thailand because they want to buy submarines

you heard it here first

many people that I know used to come here for holiday 2-3 times a year are already going elsewhere because they feel they are now being ripped off - couple that with the exchange rates and Thailand can say goodbye to its biggest export business .... tourism

they really need to think this through

I think we all know the only thing that Thais will take note of, is money out of their pockets....agree that we'll see tax rises shortly on booze!

4 hours ago, smedly said:

well my interpretation of this news topic is a steep rise in tax on drink to pay for the huge defence budget that they cannot afford or need

within the next 2 months expect a huge rise in alcohol tax and I mean huge, and like the last rise on cigs that was supposed to be a few % was in reality more like 40%

They really are going to kill tourism in Thailand because they want to buy submarines

you heard it here first

many people that I know used to come here for holiday 2-3 times a year are already going elsewhere because they feel they are now being ripped off - couple that with the exchange rates and Thailand can say goodbye to its biggest export business .... tourism

I believe that Thailand's biggest export business is seafood. Despite reports of slave labour being used. I once read that tourism, an IMPORT if you like, is way below 10 percent of GDP so they really don't care much about that - as they repeatedly prove.

Suggest first step is to stop all the unlicensed street cart vendors setting up "booze bars" after hours 

all along Sukhumvit from Soi 3 up to Asoke where they sell until 6am with no toilets & no control.

But I suppose the BIB make some money out of it so that was a silly idea

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Suggest first step is to stop all the unlicensed street cart vendors setting up "booze bars" after hours 

all along Sukhumvit from Soi 3 up to Asoke where they sell until 6am with no toilets & no control.

But I suppose the BIB make some money out of it so that was a silly idea

Yeah u might as  well tell that idea to a stray dog Nobody will listen to that where money is involved  but its a good idea 

Well as W. C. Fields famously said one time in a movie when a man tried to insult him by calling him a drunk - "Yes I am. And you sir are crazy. And tomorrow morning when I wake up I will be sober, but you'll still be crazy."

It's hard enough to put down piss tasting thai beer as it is.... crank up the price and it's definitely not worth it.  

That's what long trips out of LOS are for...not too mention talking with happy friendly people.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

you heard it here first

who the hell needs all those drunkards as you mentioned???

And cigarettes are still too cheap.  300 Baht or more/box would be a good way to stop that sickening attitude.

That Rule supermarkets cannot sell beer between 2-5  What a stupid rule when you can drive down the street and buy any alcohol anywhere u want  Can someone tell me what the purpose of this rule is? It dont stop anyone from buying alcohol does it?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It has also been reported that the number of new drinkers aged 15-19 has risen by 4.96 per cent a year.

I'm impressed. How do they know the percentage, to two decimal places, for something that in itself is illegal in Thailand?

Wow!

7 hours ago, smedly said:

you heard it here first

Probably right Smedly. They can trot out the "health experts", point to how other countries try to control consumption with taxes, point to how other countries are discussing fixing minimum prices to stop cheap booze being too available - and all for the nations health of course!

All about the money - all that extra tax revenue. Thais won't stop drinking, nor will anyone else. But, the cheap charlie, sex'n cheap whore tourists will go somewhere else. But that fits in with the plans for high class high spending tourists. A smaller tourist market, but higher profits, from "socially acceptable activities" - and of course controlled by the right people.

Always some positives but also some negatives, and, as in most countries, it will be the poor, working class who get mainly negatives.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that Thailand's biggest export business is seafood. Despite reports of slave labour being used. I once read that tourism, an IMPORT if you like, is way below 10 percent of GDP so they really don't care much about that - as they repeatedly prove.

Many posters on TVF take for granted that the impact of Tourism on Thai economy is huge  and sometimes think that it's Thailand first source of income. Well, it's not. It isn't negligible either, but figures are always more interesting than wild assumptions.

Source : World Travel & Tourism Council (thank you) :

Contribution of Thai tourism to GDP.JPG

It also boosted the participants' physical health (80.5 per cent), promoted their mental health (50.2 per cent), 

Fantastic!  Stop drinking and boost your physical health by 80.5%. Wow Thais could enter a lot of athletes at the Olympic games.

Mental health by 50%. We could get e reasonably decent police force.

Where do they get these figures from????

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

2017.  Who Drinks The Most? - Alcohol Consumption By Country

Thailand does even make the top 25.  Top 5 phewie, blowing own trumpet again.  Bit disappointed at the Team Aussie barely making it to number 22, we were champions once.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/who-drinks-the-most-alcohol-consumption-by-country.html

These worrying figures set me agoogling too!

thailand repetitively comes in at 70 something... quite average really... but it looks like I'm going to have to move back to Australia, as that "22" is a pretty poor performance 

"champions once" indeed.... cmon aussi... we can do it again!

6 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Nonsense. And who will pay the bill when it comes to hospital treatments or accidents?

Ah... more people who rely on alcohol... doctors, nurses, shrinks etc.... the list be long

2 hours ago, Yann55 said:

Many posters on TVF take for granted that the impact of Tourism on Thai economy is huge  and sometimes think that it's Thailand first source of income. Well, it's not. It isn't negligible either, but figures are always more interesting than wild assumptions.

Source : World Travel & Tourism Council (thank you) :

Contribution of Thai tourism to GDP.JPG

Thai tourism claims that tourism brings as much money as the highest GDP earner ( electrical goods).... numbers like 70 million usd annually cannot be ignored... so if not number one, then it's number two on the list... ergo, a huge factor

For me, there are too many surveys to reference, and I know TAT isn't that reliable, so undoubtedly, if one looks hard enough, a brighter picture may emerge.

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Nonsense. And who will pay the bill when it comes to hospital treatments or accidents?

The same people who pay for hospital treatments for those whose crap diet catches up with them or for fitness and sports fanatics and their related injuries?

What was "Nonsense" about saying Breweries, Distilleries and the Taxman need drinkers?

18 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

..the statistics do not reflect the consumption of (Charlie's) Moonshine or Hembränt (Sweden) or the locally made Kao Lao, which comes in my case directly from the provincial capital at a rate of 70% and is diluted locally with honey, fruit juice and others.

Su much to the statistics. Here is an interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine_by_country

WOW! A real eye opener. Thanks for the link.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

The same people who pay for hospital treatments for those whose crap diet catches up with them or for fitness and sports fanatics and their related injuries?

What was "Nonsense" about saying Breweries, Distilleries and the Taxman need drinkers?

silly answer. Then you could ask even who gets a benefit of drug dealing?

I will explain. Hopefully you are able to follow.....: You mentioned breweries? They make money by pushing people into addiction. And this addiction cost money for treatment. But there is another aspect: Under influence of alcohol you jeopardize your family, your child or your neighbor. Or even cause fatal accidents. Same with other drugs.

If you cannot understand please don't answer