Shocking BP yesterday- better today. Where am I?

mommysboy

49 minutes ago, al007 said:

Yes I buy at Macro lemon juice in the big bottles and use this to flavor up the water ( also Sangsom to flavor the water but not in the morning)

My doctors tell me not to drink, I listen and then I decide !

Probably full of E nos, and other nasty things, but it definitely scours the mouth out, also very economical, if I am very thirsty I add it to soda water and is more thirst quenching

Many years ago when working for a major pharmaceutical company, I had responsibility for Europe Middle East and Africa and travelled a lot I had to stay up to date on many vaccinations, the nurse and doctors used to say do not drink for a few days, I chose to ignore this good advice and survived !I said the alcohol killed the bugs especially in places like Nigeria

My grandfather drank a bottle of whisky  plus each day, probably never had his blood pressure taken, some, generally the negative ones, say the whisky killed him, I look at it differently and suggest maybe the Whisky kept him alive, he was 92 when he died !

When discussing my weight with my chemo man he said I was eating too much mango, I listened and reduced my mango consumption, but did not cut it out, I do chew on raw carrots, but still see no better in the dark !

Yes I have changed and modified my diet in the last year and do my best to eat healthily, and my blood pressure has improved, and I am down 15 kilos

Every little bit we do; can help, today I drink only about one bottle of beer a month, yes I still drink Sangsom and water, I used to drink 2/3 beers per day

Just for today still here alive and happy, maybe check my blood pressure today ! !! and minimise my stress levels

I like the Dalai Lama quote "Sleep is the best medication" and I believe this for blood pressure and many other things

Your post led me to Google the benefits of Thai fruits , quite amazing medical claims as to what they can do . Link below 

http://wiki-fitness.com/mango-health-benefits/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice quiet interesting thread, away from the fighting and stress of some of the other ones

Maybe I am getting old and that in itself is OK

Rather interested in what are some of the claims of beneficial effects of mango, I always thought fruit in any quantities was OK for a diet, but then it is a function of calories so some of my thinking needs refreshing adjusting, I have always been a very big fruit eater

I do like mango salad with the mango in lieu of papaya and with chili of course

I need to research more on mangoes and other fruits

Thank you Google !

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A good comprise is to drink water with a little fruit juice added to it. Jusy a splash, enough for flavor. You quickly get used to it and don't miss the pure juice...

I used to do that when younger, but it just doesn't do it for me now.

It's enough to have given up the 1.5 litre soft drinks that I used to chug every day, and the bags of sweets I used to chew on all the time. Life is boring enough as too decrepit to do much physical anymore, and giving it all up to survive a few more years is just not worth it. If drinking 100% fruit juice means a couple of years fewer in the house of despair  ( rest home ) that can only be a good thing.

However, your heart is in the right place.

Have a nice day :smile:

28 minutes ago, al007 said:

Nice quiet interesting thread, away from the fighting and stress of some of the other ones

Rather interested in what are some of the claims of beneficial effects of mango, I always thought fruit in any quantities was OK for a diet, but then it is a function of calories so some of my thinking needs refreshing adjusting, I have always been a very big fruit eater

Thank you Google !

A deviation off topic, but has anyone done a 100% fruit diet to lose weight? Would seem like a pleasant alternative to eating less.

I do not believe off topic because weight is maybe a critical part of blood pressure, and yes I would happily go for fruit diet, but I think no good

Been doing more research, Steve jobs for many years adopted a fruit diet, I am now finding this may have contributed to his pancreatic cancer from which he eventually died, I think in mid 50s

Back to mango but still on fruit diet, for those overweight it might appear the fructose is not good for us, and mango in particular is high in fructose, and when I was enjoying mangoes it may have significantly put me over the acceptable level by a factor of five

I know I have a sweet tooth

The more I look; the more I find all I like is not good for weight, having said that so far sex still appears to be OK, but I have to eat!

3 hours ago, al007 said:

Thank you Google !

I think it is regarded as a super food.

It may have significant anti-oxidants, which are thought to protect against cancer.  The sharp variety are likely the most beneficial.

Depending on the type of fruit, there is the danger of consuming too much sugar (fructose).  However, fruit is a good source of essential vits. and minerals, and contain fibre, and of couse are salt free.

Generally it is good to eat five modest servings a day in a variety of colours. 

My wife doesn't exercise, eats insanely salty, fatty food with white rice.  But she eats a lot of fruit and fish.  Her BP is 110/70.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A deviation off topic, but has anyone done a 100% fruit diet to lose weight? Would seem like a pleasant alternative to eating less.

It tends towards the 'purge' type of diet, and imo this is never a good idea.  At the least, I imagine it could cause a stomach upset, with cramping, etc.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

My wife doesn't exercise, eats insanely salty, fatty food with white rice.  But she eats a lot of fruit and fish.  Her BP is 110/70.

And she is how old?  Most of us are nearing or exceeding normal expiration dates - age counts and often counts in the negative column (unfortunately).  

Edited by lopburi3

Just now, lopburi3 said:

And she is how old?  Most of us are nearing or exceeding normal expiration dates - age counts often counts in the negative column (unfortunately).  

Yes, quite so.  She is 40 years old, and ideal weight.

My wife also 41, very petit and trim she eats more than me, (does drink less), snacks all day, cooks in oil, that I do not eat

However I think it is well proven happy married people live longer

So I suggest young wife conducive to lower blood pressure

We are very fortunate gentlemen, but then we also make some of our luck

If at first you do not succeed try and try again, it took me until wife no 4 to find the right one, ten yrs so far, never been happier or more content, and before that 32 yrs on three others

6 hours ago, al007 said:

Thank you Google !

Benefits of papaya and its seeds make good reading . Not easy to get outside of Asia in good condition so maybe take advantage of what is at your disposal . BTW , I overindulged a couple of years back on the fruits of Thailand not realising the fructose content and ended up looking like I was pregnant . But boy oh boy the visit to the toilet was a cinch , in and out in a minute .

On 2017-7-16 at 3:08 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Starvation would also reduce weight quickly, but I wouldn't want to do that.

Good on you for sticking with it, but a world without the occasional treat would be IMO not worth living.

The best I can do is just not eat too much, but not worry about the calories or what i'm eating. I only eat twice a day, mainly drink 100% fruit juice ( yes I know it's got sugar in it ) as water is too boring, and try not to snack too much. I'm trying to not eat after 8pm, as I did most of my snacking after that time.

It's interesting though, that despite eating loads of sugar and cakes etc in the past, I wasn't any heavier than I am now having cut out most sugar and cakes etc. Sometimes we just can't win.

Back after a short holiday.....

It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. I was amazed to find that a simple creme caramel (flan to Americans) is 300 calories. It's just a small desert!!!!

Re drink, I have no idea if you can get it, but Vimto (no added sugar) is about the best refreshing fruit drink you can find.Very low on calories and very low on sugars.

I know it's hard but you can eat well on a lower number of calories. 

Good luck anyway. 

Just now, Flustered said:

Back after a short holiday.....

It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. I was amazed to find that a simple creme caramel (flan to Americans) is 300 calories. It's just a small desert!!!!

Re drink, I have no idea if you can get it, but Vimto (no added sugar) is about the best refreshing fruit drink you can find.Very low on calories and very low on sugars.

I know it's hard but you can eat well on a lower number of calories. 

Good luck anyway. 

I'll probably do a slim down- just a few kilos in my case as I'm already ok.  When I do this I simply cut out cookies, cakes, etc in favour of fresh fruit, eg, I pop a handful of frozen strawberries in microwave to warm up a little, and top with plain yoghurt.  It's not easy to lose weight, but not as difficult as many fear.

Still up and down more than I''d guess is usual.  However, the best readings are coming in lower, eg, 118/76. 

I wonder if it is the fruit, as I wasn't eating any before.  And if so, is it because of the fruit or that while I am eating it I am not eating salt?

58 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Still up and down more than I''d guess is usual.  However, the best readings are coming in lower, eg, 118/76. 

I wonder if it is the fruit, as I wasn't eating any before.  And if so, is it because of the fruit or that while I am eating it I am not eating salt?

118/76   are you a teenager ? 

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Cool cool man Cool  the facts suggest you do not have a problem

I send you to another link I had a post this morning consigned to the rubbish bin, did my blood pressure way below yours no good

In less than 12 hrs I get many likes, helps my blood pressure

God Bless

1 hour ago, al007 said:

Cool cool man Cool  the facts suggest you do not have a problem

I send you to another link I had a post this morning consigned to the rubbish bin, did my blood pressure way below yours no good

In less than 12 hrs I get many likes, helps my blood pressure

God Bless

Hmm!  I wonder what the average BP reading is when we do combat on TV?:smile:

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I wish:smile:

No, honestly, the 190/95 readings are real too.  And the 140/85, etc, etc.

Where did you buy your BP tester from ? not the local market I hope . Your results are remarkable inasmuch as the improvement of your bp , also what are your pulse rates ? finally what have you done to effect all of the changes that you can pass on to us ?

7 hours ago, superal said:

Where did you buy your BP tester from ? not the local market I hope . Your results are remarkable inasmuch as the improvement of your bp , also what are your pulse rates ? finally what have you done to effect all of the changes that you can pass on to us ?

I got it from the best pharmacy in town.  I don't know whether it is any good.  But the readings high and low are no different from what I've had at hospital, or in the doctor's surgery over the years.  My wife's readings are constant, as they have been for years. So I think the machine is ok.

Pulse rates vary from 48 to 79.  Actually what I have noticed is that when the rate is very low, then my bp will be higher, say 145/85.

But anyway, I went to the local hospital today as I'd rather go with Sheryl's earlier assessment.  And I feel this is now something that should be overseen by an expert.

I had to have numerous readings over an hour as the systolic pressure hit the roof again, before settling at a not too grand 150.  I just get nervy as soon as I walk through the door, and sitting there makes it worse.

I saw a doctor, who did a basic examination.  He concluded that there really is no problem as the dialostic pressure is low (73-74), and he said I had a very strong heart too (55-60).  When I honestly described my life style he highlighted poor sleep pattern, poor diet, stress, and bad habits,eg, 10-15 cups of tea a day.  In particular he said that I must go to bed much earlier.

But as for medication.  He didn't think it at all necessary.  He likewise advised me not to check BP at home more than once a week.

As I have said, the low readings are genuine, as are the high readings, and all the others in between.

If there has been a change, it is in the dialostic pressure.   All I've done is reduce vaping, started to eat fruit, and upped my exercise intensity (I am a keen walker, and I also jog).  Maybe, being 56 still gives me some lattitude on changing things.

(Curiously, I didn't get charged. I did question if there had been a mistake:smile:)

Edited by mommysboy

12 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I got it from the best pharmacy in town.  I don't know whether it is any good.  But the readings high and low are no different from what I've had at hospital, or in the doctor's surgery over the years.  My wife's readings are constant, as they have been for years. So I think the machine is ok.

Pulse rates vary from 48 to 79.  Actually what I have noticed is that when the rate is very low, then my bp will be higher, say 145/85.

But anyway, I went to the local hospital today as I'd rather go with Sheryl's earlier assessment.  And I feel this is now something that should be overseen by an expert.

I had to have numerous readings over an hour as the systolic pressure hit the roof again, before settling at a not too grand 150.  I just get nervy as soon as I walk through the door, and sitting there makes it worse.

I saw a doctor, who did a basic examination.  He concluded that there really is no problem as the dialostic pressure is low (73-74), and he said I had a very strong heart too (55-60).  When I honestly described my life style he highlighted poor sleep pattern, poor diet, stress, and bad habits,eg, 10-15 cups of tea a day.  In particular he said that I must go to bed much earlier.

But as for medication.  He didn't think it at all necessary.  He likewise advised me not to check BP at home more than once a week.

As I have said, the low readings are genuine, as are the high readings, and all the others in between.

If there has been a change, it is in the dialostic pressure.   All I've done is reduce vaping, started to eat fruit, and upped my exercise intensity (I am a keen walker, and I also jog).  Maybe, being 56 still gives me some lattitude on changing things.

(Curiously, I didn't get charged. I did question if there had been a mistake:smile:)

But isn't it a mystery why you have such variables with your systolic readings . I could understand if they had been taken before and after exercising . My readings , as I said before , are similar to yours with my Thai doctor saying 140 systolic is fine , when in the UK it is seen as pre-hypertension & treatable . Is it a case of the Thai medics catching up to western standards ? For sure as your age creeps on ( 70 in my case ) it is important to remain active & even include resistance weight lifting , which maintains muscle mass that is lost at a rapid rate as we age , plus increases testosterone levels for many benefits . But that will not improve your BP , that apparently comes from exercises that make you out of breath ( the  mind boggles ) .

I remember reading recently where doctors came up with proof that 2 or 3 flat out exercises a week , where you are panting for 2 or 3 minutes at a time , was adequate to create good cardiovascular levels . Maybe for the younger guys though .

6 hours ago, superal said:

But isn't it a mystery why you have such variables with your systolic readings . I could understand if they had been taken before and after exercising . My readings , as I said before , are similar to yours with my Thai doctor saying 140 systolic is fine , when in the UK it is seen as pre-hypertension & treatable . Is it a case of the Thai medics catching up to western standards ? For sure as your age creeps on ( 70 in my case ) it is important to remain active & even include resistance weight lifting , which maintains muscle mass that is lost at a rapid rate as we age , plus increases testosterone levels for many benefits . But that will not improve your BP , that apparently comes from exercises that make you out of breath ( the  mind boggles ) .

I remember reading recently where doctors came up with proof that 2 or 3 flat out exercises a week , where you are panting for 2 or 3 minutes at a time , was adequate to create good cardiovascular levels . Maybe for the younger guys though .

Yes, that's why I went to the hospital for a check up.  But systolic pressure is prone to spike for anyone. I'm in a right old muddle.  Emotions seem to play a big part and whether I have slept or not (often I don't get to sleep until 5am).  The doctor did emphasise this, as well as diet.

Just guessing but perhaps the doctor means 140 is fine for in his office.  When we are out and about systolic pressure is raised.

It is confusing when conflicting information comes out, and pressure rises with age, particularly with us guys.  Up to 140 is high normal to some doctors, pre-hypertension to others.  Raised systolic is definitely associated with awful events such as heart attack, but as far as I know there is very little difference 120-140.  I think it really depends if systolic is rising because of disease process.  Your doctor, as with mine, may be pretty sure that is not the case (just guessing), based on his examination and other readings.

Only aerobic exercise will improve BP per se.  But in weight training there can be an important psychological sense of well being, almost a meditative state, which could also be beneficial.

HIT (high intensity training).  That's what you mean I think. 

Edited by mommysboy

On 2017-7-18 at 5:49 PM, mommysboy said:

Hmm!  I wonder what the average BP reading is when we do combat on TV?:smile:

A damn site lower than when I walk into the kitchen and find my wife, my daughter and my niece all holding different conversations with each other. Then go out into the garden to be assaulted by the chickens or the female rabbit that hides under our workshop and has just had a huge litter (probably also all females).

It's females that drive up blood pressure, not TVF.

A post discussing moderation has been removed also an off topic flame and reply.

You will do well to stop now before you do get 'wiped out in combat' to quote your own words. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, mommysboy said:

I think it is regarded as a super food.

It may have significant anti-oxidants, which are thought to protect against cancer.  The sharp variety are likely the most beneficial.

Depending on the type of fruit, there is the danger of consuming too much sugar (fructose).  However, fruit is a good source of essential vits. and minerals, and contain fibre, and of couse are salt free.

Generally it is good to eat five modest servings a day in a variety of colours. 

From your info, she isn't eating wheat. I believe wheat is not good for us.

The Drs recently decided that's salt is OK now.

I believe that Eskimos used to eat a high fat diet and I doubt there were obese ones before western processed food became available.