International Bank Card Not Working

Update from the OP:  Two more unsuccessful attempts to do balance enquiries today; the Chequing/Savings button was not the issue. The second ATM seemed ready to accept my request for a cash withdrawal, though I aborted it, as I didn't need money or want a service charge.  I called my bank again and spoke to a supervisor. she said their machines don't allow balance enquiries from abroad.

Just over  one year ago, I moved 100 km.  At my former home, I had no problems doing balance enquiries on at least three ATM's. Apparently the bank has now blocked that channel to force customers to do balance enquiries online or by phone. Thanks to all who contributed constructive advice.

I have found you never know if an ATM cash withdrawal will be successful until you press the last button which results in money spitting out.   Your card can appear to be working wonderfully in the ATM up until you press that last button where either money spits out or you get an error message like contact your card-issuing bank.   Until you are successful in pulling money you really don't know if the card is fully working.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

I have found you never know if an ATM cash withdrawal will be successful until you press the last button which results in money spitting out.   Your card can appear to be working wonderfully in the ATM up until you press that last button where either money spits out or you get an error message like contact your card-issuing bank.   Until you are successful in pulling money you really don't know if the card is fully working.

Make sure you try out the card before you leave your home country.  Most banks still require you to advise them of which country(s) you will be using it in or it will not work.  As I said in a previous a post I have debit cards at 3 different banks from Australia.  ANZ and ING bank still require me to advise them which countries I will be visiting (can do it on line now).  Citibank no longer request this information, it can be used at any ATM free of charge anywhere in the world.  In Thailand when using my Citibank debit card the fee of Bt220 is shown on the ATM receipt but is immediately credited back on my statement.  Citibank no longer has its own ATMs you have to use 3rd party ATMs.  I usually check the exchange rates online after I make a withdrawal, it is always the same or better then the international exchange rates for that day (or time).  I don't know how they make money???  I suppose billions of "OPM" (other peoples money) in credit .  Now that's the way to make money in this world, use OPM.

It's not just overseas cards that have problems, it seems. A week ago I paid my annual car insurance with my Kasikorn Bank debit card, then went to an ATM and withdrew 5,000 bht cash. No problems ....WRONG! Six days later I get an email from the insurance agent to say the bank has refused my card, thus leaving me unknowingly without car insurance. The balance in that bank account is seven figures and, just to make it worse, I had a tyre blow-out yesterday which, luckily, didn't result in my hitting anything or anyone. I dread to think what would have happened if I'd caused an accident, then found out I wasn't insured.

Still haven't heard from my agent as to the insurance company's attempts to re-enter my card details. The agency's office is a round trip of around 40kms - not happy, especially as I'm still not insured  through no fault of my own,. Used the same card yesterday for new tyres - no problem.

16 minutes ago, buddhalady said:

It's not just overseas cards that have problems, it seems. A week ago I paid my annual car insurance with my Kasikorn Bank debit card, then went to an ATM and withdrew 5,000 bht cash. No problems ....WRONG! Six days later I get an email from the insurance agent to say the bank has refused my card, thus leaving me unknowingly without car insurance. The balance in that bank account is seven figures and, just to make it worse, I had a tyre blow-out yesterday which, luckily, didn't result in my hitting anything or anyone. I dread to think what would have happened if I'd caused an accident, then found out I wasn't insured.

Still haven't heard from my agent as to the insurance company's attempts to re-enter my card details. The agency's office is a round trip of around 40kms - not happy, especially as I'm still not insured  through no fault of my own,. Used the same card yesterday for new tyres - no problem.

Some companies don't accept debit cards.  Now since your insurance company is attempting to obtain payment via your debit card I guess that means they do accept payment by debit card.

But I wonder if payment can only be accomplished via use of a POS machine (like at a store checkout where the card is inserted/swiped) and can not be processed by the insurance company just trying to manually enter your card info in some payment system (i.e., a card not present transaction).

In all the time I've been here, I've only had debit cards, with very occasional ATM problems with the overseas-based banks, but never with the Kasikorn card. Anything except everyday groceries is paid by debit card - this is the first time in 11 years I've had this problem with a Thailand -issued  bank card.

As regards swiping the card, I'm assuming this was done as the card was taken, then returned to me, as is normal with this agent, whose desk is at a visa agency where I always pay by card.

3 minutes ago, buddhalady said:

As regards swiping the card, I'm assuming this was done as the card was taken, then returned to me, as is normal with this agent, whose desk is at a visa agency where I always pay by card.

When your card is taken and assuming they take it to some out of sight POS machine, do they come back and have you sign the receipt for signature for the transaction like how it happens at a store checkout?

Edited by Pib

When you called your bank in Canada, did you happen to end up talking to 'John' in New Delhi? Who was only interested in getting rid of you and adding one to his numbers?

I actually never do international balance enquiries via ATM, I go online. Did you try obtaining cash?