Texas teen killed by cellphone in bathtub

webfact

10 hours ago, impulse said:

She wasn't killed by her cell phone.  She was killed by the wire plugged in to the wall socket.

Hey,The reporter probably had his only headline in a month and wanted to be noticed.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Possibly too addicted to Facebook or other social media to be able to be able to leave the bloody phone alone for the time it takes too have a bath. Very sad in every respect.

Many times the pain of experience for the ignorant is far to fatal. Quoit DJ

Edited by sanukjim

In California GFI's are pretty standard and mandatory in new buildings within a certain distance from water....so kitchen and bathroom. But Lubbock, Texas?

i drove through Texas in the 70's and the people were like something from the forties the way they dressed etc....nice people but way behind the times. I doubt Lubbock is a whole lot different.....maybe just like when Buddy Holly was alive. I am sure some Texas diehard on here will set me straight.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Probably why there isn't many.  That and necessity. The only thing requiring electrical power in a bathroom is an electric razor, usually battery powered and plugged into a charger. Most women using depilatory "shavers" will do that in the privacy of a bedroom. 

Then again no matter what they are told, 14 year-olds always know better. 

Hair driers are the n*****s in the wood pile. 

Issue is not SO much the water, it's you! Skin makes a reasonable insulator but wet skin with dissolved salts?

Pure water is also not a great conductor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductivity_(electrolytic)

BUT, if you are barefoot and wet? Better take great care!!

This is why the regulations for kitchens are not special locations such as bath/shower rooms. I'm usually not wet and naked in the kitchen. Usually ?. WCs with bidet hoses are not specifically considered in the regs!

Low power devices such such as shavers and toothbrushes can be powered from a shaver outlet which, crucially, has a safety isolation transformer built in and are safe even if 230V or 110V because of the isolation ( and no ground - counter intuitive I know!).

As always with electrical issues, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Ask a professional.

PM me if anyone needs advice. Seriously!

Edited by Grouse

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Probably why there isn't many.  That and necessity. The only thing requiring electrical power in a bathroom is an electric razor, usually battery powered and plugged into a charger. Most women using depilatory "shavers" will do that in the privacy of a bedroom. 

Then again no matter what they are told, 14 year-olds always know better. 

I think there are a few more things used in the room that are electric.  Gosh we had electric tooth brushes, electric tooth pick/cleaners. Men and women have electric hair dryers.  People use hair styling things and curling irons.  Some use hair trimmers or clippers

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Hair driers are the n*****s in the wood pile. 

Issue is not SO much the water, it's you! Skin makes a reasonable insulator but wet skin with dissolved salts?

Pure water is also not a great conductor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductivity_(electrolytic)

BUT, if you are barefoot and wet? Better take great care!!

This is why the regulations for kitchens are not special locations such as bath/shower rooms. I'm usually not wet and naked in the kitchen. Usually ?. WCs with bidet hoses are not specifically considered in the regs!

Low power devices such such as shavers and toothbrushes can be powered from a shaver outlet which, crucially, has a safety isolation transformer built in and are safe even if 230V or 110V because of the isolation ( and no ground - counter intuitive I know!).

As always with electrical issues, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Ask a professional.

PM me if anyone needs advice. Seriously!

Hairdryers are dangerous: first it was the fact that they were full of asbestos; then the not insignificant number of people electrocuted by them. 

There is no need for men to have a hairdryer....it was only when men had those insane bouffant styles in the 60s and 70s that they came in handy. Perhaps Steven Tyler still needs one.

17 hours ago, captspectre said:

when i was a wee lad I was taught that electricity and water did not mix! seems that the word has not been spread to the younger generation. people are getting dumber and dumber everyday! and the parents bear some responsibility fir tis.

Yes, there was a scene in a James Bond movie (Goldfinger?) where a guy was in the bathtub and was killed when someone tossed in a plugged-in radio.  Didn't take a genius to get the point.  I remember the kids in school talking about it.

18 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Yes, there was a scene in a James Bond movie (Goldfinger?) where a guy was in the bathtub and was killed when someone tossed in a plugged-in radio.  Didn't take a genius to get the point.  I remember the kids in school talking about it.

See this post:   

20 hours ago, pitrevie said:

In the UK apart from a shaver socket which is current limited you are not permitted to have a socket in the bathroom, not even a light switch unless it is of the pull cord variety.

Only one of my bathrooms in Thailand have had electricity or even a light switch. My current bathroom has neither.

The victim in case must have somehow grounded the A/C and not the low voltage charger output (unless as some have pointed out unless the charger had an internal failure).

Edited by MaxYakov