Producers urge ban on importation of US chicken and pork

webfact

Producers urge ban on importation of US chicken and pork

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's private swine and chicken producers, who oppose the possibility of pork and chicken meat imports from the United States, have expressed concerns over food safety and the negative impact on Thailand's agricultural supply chain.

After handing a letter to Thai commerce minister, Surachai Sutthitham, the president of the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand, said: "Thailand should not be a target for US pork, and ractopamine use in US swine is against Thai laws. We asks the government to insist on the prohibition of imported pork with ractopamine for the safety of consumers and to protect the country's agricultural economic stability."

Prasert Anuchiracheeva, secretary-general of the Thai Broiler Processing Exporters Association, said: "US pressure on Thailand to import chicken meat from the US is a high risk for contamination of bird flu to Thailand which has been free of bird flu for more than 10 years."

Several countries, including the US, still have bird flu epidemics.

The association urged the Thai government to consider the issue urgently and "do not let the US to gain influence over Thai people's food safety and don't let US chicken hurt Thai farmers," Prasert said.

If Thailand allows imported chicken from the US, the world's largest meat chicken raiser with high advantage in term of animal feed, Thai farmers may suffer from a drop in chicken meat prices and other farmers who grow corn and other for animal feed may also be hurt, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320729

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The association urged the Thai government to consider the issue urgently and "do not let the US to gain influence over Thai people's food safety and don't let US chicken hurt Thai farmers," Prasert said.

If Thailand allows imported chicken from the US, the world's largest meat chicken raiser with high advantage in term of animal feed, Thai farmers may suffer from a drop in chicken meat prices and other farmers who grow corn and other for animal feed may also be hurt, he said.

Or they could modernise and compete.

As worgeordie said the repercussions on the Thai export industry could be a lot more devastating. Imagine if the US decided that they were going to impose trade sanctions on the vehicles manufactured in Thailand as retaliation, in line with the current President's policy of making US great. How soon after that announcement would there be a back-flip with double pike for increased degree of difficulty.

Exports good - imports bad! 

The Farang is put on this earth to give money to Thai not profit from the sweat of the Thai brow. I feel the tears welling up as I write. Maybe time to write a ballad to the sickly propaganda music so popular.

Anyway what's the problem. Don't upset the Yanks especially with Trump in charge - Do it Thai way!!  Give the import licences to the pork and chicken producers association then everything is solved.

Looks like my dream of eating a bacon sandwich which is not 80% fat has just gone down the drain...

I know America has pretty abysmal food safety standards, which could make this a logical response. But it's not like Thailand is setting any positive trends in food safety either.

Clearly they simply don't want competition to cause their prices to drop (much like every other industry in Thailand - land of smiles and monopolies).

Would be interesting to see their reaction to a ban on their shrimp.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If this happens,just wait for the screams of anguish when the US bans Thai Shrimp imports,

you cannot have it both ways Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

Actually this would read better if they just stated that they wished to ban imports with ractopamine. Not a new story... but in Bangkok Post they say 'continue the ban'. It's nothing new.

It's banned just about everywhere except the USA.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I know America has pretty abysmal food safety standards, which could make this a logical response. But it's not like Thailand is setting any positive trends in food safety either.

Clearly they simply don't want competition to cause their prices to drop (much like every other industry in Thailand - land of smiles and monopolies).

Would be interesting to see their reaction to a ban on their shrimp.

Oh really? How do you " know" that? SE Asia and especially China is where you  get sick from food. tHe FDA simply doesn't act like Brussels bureaucrats and regulate brand names. One example, European fruit juice makers falsely state on labels there's no sugar added when in fact there is. I think you should live in the U.S. for a while and appreciate good and varied food. Oh--and you can shop 24 hours a day, too, rather than rushing home before the so-called "supermarkets" close at 7 pm.

Oh--and you can shop 24 hours a day, too, rather than rushing home before the so-called "supermarkets" close at 7 pm.

Because there are immigrants working for slavery salary and no worker unions.
I can get my important things together before they close.
If not, there's still a gas station with convenience store (or in Thailand 7-11 etc)

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Oh really? How do you " know" that? SE Asia and especially China is where you  get sick from food. tHe FDA simply doesn't act like Brussels bureaucrats and regulate brand names. One example, European fruit juice makers falsely state on labels there's no sugar added when in fact there is. I think you should live in the U.S. for a while and appreciate good and varied food.

I have no doubt there is a huge amount of wonderful and diverse fresh produce to be found in America. But how much or how good the food is isn't the point when it comes to food safety. It's how bad the food is allowed to be that is the main concern.

There was an issue between the EU and the US where in order for some sort of deal to be reached, the food safety standards of the EU would have to drop to accompdate the lower standards of the US.

That's what I know.

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Oh--and you can shop 24 hours a day, too, rather than rushing home before the so-called "supermarkets" close at 7 pm.

What does that have to do with a discussion about food safety? It just sounds like a pretty insignificant boast.

I don't eat chicken nor pork, or any meat for that matter, but it would be a travesty if Thailand was pressured into importing ractopamine, GMO fed meat, bird flu and the massive doses of antibiotic resistant bacteria not to mention the massive amounts of antibiotics fed into the meat industry. I would rather see Thailand go back to organic than invest more in a poisoned system.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

sorry to my american friends, but the standards of breeding livestock in the USA are quite  questionable....

Little doubt you are right; but after they are butchered the meat is as good as anywhere else.

10 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Actually this would read better if they just stated that they wished to ban imports with ractopamine. Not a new story... but in Bangkok Post they say 'continue the ban'. It's nothing new.

It's banned just about everywhere except the USA.

Fair point, but I think worgeordie's point still stands - You won't buy our crappy exports? Then we won't buy your crappy exports either.

It is a trade thing. The consumer will continue to be poisoned no matter what...

Thailand with a 19 billion USD trade surplus with the US will have to do its homework

to justify why US pork and chicken should not be allowed in Thailand. Plenty of

antibiotics go into shrimp feed and I am sure into Thai chicken and pig feed as well.

Trade agreements need to benefit both sides not one side alone.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

sorry to my american friends, but the standards of breeding livestock in the USA are quite  questionable....

And the Thai breeding standards are not really producing quality offspring including livestock, however swine, troughs, like pigs in shit and minimising competition does sound familiar.

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I know America has pretty abysmal food safety standards

Maybe you really don't know. For example (https://www.checkit.net/can-food-safety-standards-be-compared-between-countries/) :

• The US falls within the highest bracket of global food safety standards along with France, Norway and the UK
  • In terms of lowest levels of bacterial contamination (Campylobacter, Salmonella, Yersinia, E. coli and Listeria), the US is comparable with Austria, Canada, France, Ireland, Japan and the UK. On the other side
  • In terms of highest levels of bacterial contamination there is Germany, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden

There is no global uniform system for measuring food safety. Each nation has its own standards, monitoring and enforcement policies. A nation that has lacking and/or inadequate standards and/or enforcement might be reporting misleading information on its food quality that would trend perception of its food quality better than nations with higher standards and enforcement. This disparity among nations might be further exacerbated by foods not commonly found in a nation, ie., pork in Muslim countries.

What is behind this is that the USA has a lot of unsaleable byproducts such as heads, feet, chicken wings etc apart from better cuts which they want to export. Vietnam gave in to these USA threats and pork prices collapsed as this waste poured in and was sold cheaply. Thailand have powerful companies involved in the pork and chicken business (CP?) and their businesses would be hit hard, let alone the little men. Thailand may not be such a push over.as the big companies can twist the governments arm.

this is a good idea. the argument here that Thailand must not do it because the US might retaliate is pretty pathetic. 160 other countries have banned it and they seem to have survived the wrath of the US. in any case, they arent saying they will stop importing  US chicken and pork, only that which has ractopamine in it. is that so difficult for the US to do?

On 7/14/2017 at 2:58 PM, CLW said:

Because there are immigrants working for slavery salary and no worker unions.
I can get my important things together before they close.
If not, there's still a gas station with convenience store (or in Thailand 7-11 etc)

They should close everything at 5pm so everyone can go home and eat :giggle: