Pro-democracy journalist Jom granted asylum status in US

webfact

Pro-democracy journalist Jom granted asylum status in US

By The Nation 

e2a4790126de4d59fad82031cf134f45.jpeg

Jom in the US [Photo from Jom's Facebook]

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive pro-democracy journalist Jom Petchpradab, who fled Thailand after the 2014 coup, has been granted asylum status in the United States.

The status increases his chance of getting a green card and US citizenship, he said in a Facebook post on Thursday.

Jom left the country after the coup in 2014 when he did not report to the junta despite a summons.

With the asylum status his application for a green card will be easier and should not take longer than four months to complete, he said. After that, he could also apply for citizenship in the US.

Now that he has been granted asylum status, he said he will receive similar benefits as green card holders. He said he was relieved now that he could receive free medical service and assistance in getting trainings and jobs, without having to seek an annual work permit.

“This re-energises me to keep on my journalistic work, as a voice of the Thai people, for democracy,” he wrote on Facebook while also thanking his supporters.

Since the 2014 coup a number of pro-democracy activists fled the country for fear of arbitrary detention and charges on lese majeste. 

Some of them, such as red-shirt leader Jaran Ditapichai, monarchy critic Somsak Jeamtheerasakul, and hardcore activist Ekapop Luara, aka Tang Achiwa, have been granted not only asylum but also new nationalities in France and New Zealand respectively for not being able to return home because of political threats.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30320734

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-14

Maybe he'll invite him over for a drink - vodka and redbull anyone?

They have much in common - Trump has much to admire in a man who tries not to let stupid rules, conventions, rights or laws get in the way of what he needs to do for the benefit of his organisation.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Now that he has been granted asylum status, he said he will receive similar benefits as green card holders. He said he was relieved now that he could receive free medical service

If that's true then things have certainly changed in the US since the days when I had a green card.

25 minutes ago, nahkit said:

If that's true then things have certainly changed in the US since the days when I had a green card.

I will have to look at this asertion surely Grren Card holders do not get free medical care. The right wing would have justification to go ballistic when the US has not joined the other "advanced nations" in providing medical coverage for their citizens.

8 hours ago, sharecropper said:

I'd like to think this would cause a few moments of navel (not naval) contemplation in those who usurped power and bend Thailand daily to their will. but I doubt it....

Good for him amazing thailand jaunta will say treason . Can i leave Australia claim asylum in America ! im in Aussie now , we r not far off from thailand no help from centrelink to access their job search " no sorry bad luck you were born in Australia we cant help u ! Im a second class citizen because i was born in Australia , i want same deal democracy  and freedom same rights for all not live under dictatorship cant do this " or say that  " i was originally born here " what a shock no i want a job sorry no access for 13 weeks u r on your own ! I want to work  " can i go to America as a refugee  asap i live in dictatorship known as Australia " claim asylum will tweet trump tonight  . 

Edited by Mad mick
Spelling errors

13 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Maybe he'll invite him over for a drink - vodka and redbull anyone?

They have much in common - Trump has much to admire in a man who tries not to let stupid rules, conventions, rights or laws get in the way of what he needs to do for the benefit of his organisation.

Trump does not drink

16 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I will have to look at this asertion surely Grren Card holders do not get free medical care. The right wing would have justification to go ballistic when the US has not joined the other "advanced nations" in providing medical coverage for their citizens.

Can you name anyone that was denied medical treatment in the U.S.?

gets free medical service?  I think the article is a bit ambiguously worded.  I am not aware that your typical green card holder gets free medical service.  I know some holders that do not get free medical, but the article may mean some sort of medical consultation.  Or the article may mean that people that get political asylum get some sort of free medical and that is separate from getting a green card.  But with the Thai PM coming to visit the USA soon, I wonder if his case will be  a topic of discussion.  Has Thailand made an extradition request to the USA for the man?

33 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

gets free medical service?  I think the article is a bit ambiguously worded.  I am not aware that your typical green card holder gets free medical service.  I know some holders that do not get free medical, but the article may mean some sort of medical consultation.  Or the article may mean that people that get political asylum get some sort of free medical and that is separate from getting a green card.  But with the Thai PM coming to visit the USA soon, I wonder if his case will be  a topic of discussion.  Has Thailand made an extradition request to the USA for the man?

Could be referring to this "medical assistance" to successful asylum seekers:

As soon as people seeking asylum in the United States are accepted as refugees they are eligible for public assistance just like any other person, including cash welfare, food assistance, and health coverage. Although many refugees initially depend on public benefits, most quickly become self-sufficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_in_the_United_States#U.S._government_support_after_arrival

1 hour ago, habanero said:

Can you name anyone that was denied medical treatment in the U.S.?

No one is denied medical treatment in the usa. But if you dont have money and you are  sick youre only option is to go to emergency room in hospital.A doctor office visit might cost 200.00 and you will be denied treatment w no money but a emergency room visit will cost 2,000.00 and while you are not denied treatment or made to pay youre bill before you go the bill will be attached to youre forehead.

This guy is not getting free medical. He might get free clinic care now but probobly would have before too.

Free clinic is like going to clinic here in thailand. Limited but basic care is available free.

Trump is building a wall in america with mexico because the poor mexican illegals use our hospital emergency rooms as there free clinic.

They dont pay the bill. How could they. This is why there is a wall being built. Its all about abuse of medical system.

My thoughts anyway

33 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

No one is denied medical treatment in the usa. But if you dont have money and you are  sick youre only option is to go to emergency room in hospital.A doctor office visit might cost 200.00 and you will be denied treatment w no money but a emergency room visit will cost 2,000.00 and while you are not denied treatment or made to pay youre bill before you go the bill will be attached to youre forehead.

This guy is not getting free medical. He might get free clinic care now but probobly would have before too.

Free clinic is like going to clinic here in thailand. Limited but basic care is available free.

Trump is building a wall in america with mexico because the poor mexican illegals use our hospital emergency rooms as there free clinic.

They dont pay the bill. How could they. This is why there is a wall being built. Its all about abuse of medical system.

My thoughts anyway

I was.  Many years ago the one time I was without insurance and between real jobs. I had nothing. I got some chemical burns, bad reaction to something on both my arms. Went to the Emergency Room and they wanted none of it.  Grilled me and grilled me about who could pay, any relatives, etc. I said I don't have any relatives that would pay. I said I was on my own.  I was put out, plain and simple. 

Usually, emergency rooms will treat acute problems of medically indigent, but that is almost useless for people with CHRONIC conditions. Also, of course, a very economically inefficient way of dealing with the medically indigent (except if the policy is to kill them off). 

They might also do something and send a bill. Bankruptcy time. 

Edited by Jingthing

37 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

My thoughts anyway

Much of what you say is a load of tosh.   He will be eligible for medicaid for a short period of time, like most refugees.   It will be limited in time.   He will be required to find work as refugee benefits are also time limited.   

Mexicans are not the biggest abusers of the nonsensical medical system in the US that deprives a lot of people of proper care.   No one will be denied treatment, but that bill is a bill and it will follow you until it is paid.   

I am glad for this guy the judge saw through a lot of smoke and hysteria to give him refugee status.   I wish him the best of luck.   He's well educated and will no doubt land on his feet and be a positive member of US society.   

I thought even more interesting was the list of names at the bottom of the Nation article that not only have received political asylum in other countries in Europe, but also even granted citizenship there. I don't think I've ever seen those names and their new status reported elsewhere here before.

You have to wonder what it says about their home country when these folks are having to flee, getting granted asylum in multiple 1st world countries and even citizenship in some of them.  That's not such an easy thing to obtain, AFAIK, unless the circumstances are very overwhelmingly clear and dire.

17 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Good for him amazing thailand jaunta will say treason . Can i leave Australia claim asylum in America ! im in Aussie now , we r not far off from thailand no help from centrelink to access their job search " no sorry bad luck you were born in Australia we cant help u ! Im a second class citizen because i was born in Australia , i want same deal democracy  and freedom same rights for all not live under dictatorship cant do this " or say that  " i was originally born here " what a shock no i want a job sorry no access for 13 weeks u r on your own ! I want to work  " can i go to America as a refugee  asap i live in dictatorship known as Australia " claim asylum will tweet trump tonight  . 

Off topic as we know....but as another Aussie in Thailand I agree with your concerns...our government is continually trying to disposes expat Aussies....