Do you get bored with your condo?

Say you are relatively doing well, and you bought yourself a condo in Thailand for around 15mb, so it's not some 2mil Lumpini box. You have nice view, amenities and comfort.

But do you still get bored silly living there? Would you rather be renting?

I am really not discussing the poor value, the quality and other issues that may arise here. I'm strictly speaking about boredom.

I dont quite see how tenure can affect the boredom factor.

Personally I never get bored anywhere as I can keep myself amused indefinitely, and failing that I can just go to sleep.

A nice view certainly helps and I would not want to be without one, but I dont really see what extra I would get by living in a condo that cost 15MB as opposed to one that cost a third or a fifth of that. Either the condo is what I want or it isnt, and in Jomtien I certainly dont need to spend anywhere near 15MB to get what I want. In Bangkok it might be a different story.

A condo isn't really meant to be a source of entertainment. 

But if you're bored with your neighborhood and your local options, it sounds like you need to do some traveling.

And if you've actually started to dislike your condo on a deeper level -- sell it and move. 

If you can get 15mb or more out of it -- consider selling it buying two places. That's certainly less boring.

Edited by Senechal

3 hours ago, Senechal said:

A condo isn't really meant to be a source of entertainment. 

Isnt a nice view a good source of entertainment? My current view certainly is for me, as was the view in my house back in Europe.

I often watch my view rather than watch TV and the main deciding factor when I bought my condo was the view.

I have a 225 SQ met home in a nice housing development. I rent for 8000 THB P/m for 14 years. When I moved in my rent was 7000 THB p/m. My home was 1 year old and new when I decided on this house. I have been very happy and I will continue renting this house for the foreseeable future. I am very happy!

1 minute ago, tomwct said:

I have a 225 SQ met home in a nice housing development. I rent for 8000 THB P/m for 14 years. When I moved in my rent was 7000 THB p/m. My home was 1 year old and new when I decided on this house. I have been very happy and I will continue renting this house for the foreseeable future. I am very happy!

smart. wish someone told me to just rent when i first moved to thailand. seems renting in pattay is getting better and better value all the time.

I have a little crackerbox condo, 27 sq m. It's adequate. My condo does not bore me. I've tried talking with it, but mum is the word. Maybe that's a good thing. Old song "If walls could talk"

I had a prof who said something that somehow stuck with me: "Boredom is the legacy of fear".

Just a little other consideration I am looking at currently. I rented a house for 2 years when first coming to Chiang Mai but when opportunity came along to buy, refurbish and decorate my own condo, I bought. I have been very happy with the approx. 100 sq. m. condo but .... Currently I live alone and am over 70. Everything is fine but what happens when I croat? My Sons, in the US, come to Thailand to settle things here, including the sale of the condo, car, etc. Don't think so. Easier to go back to renting. A bit cleaner exit.

Depends on how you use your condo. A nice condo could work more than just a living space. Every month different lady could be one of its functions. ???

unless you are really depressed or have some physical problems. Then you need to deal with a "boring condo".

I would be bored if I lived in a condo , as bored as I am when I stay in a hotel. Here where I live it is 10 paces to the garden , a view of rice fields from the back and 10 paces to the push bike, motor bike and car.  Couldn't commit suicide jumping from my patio it is 6" to the ground.

34 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Buying in Thailand really boils down to taking huge risks.

If I would feel boredom creeping in on me in a condo, would sell it and rent somewhere else.

sometimes it boils differently ... and includes other people's input, such as a wife, perhaps one who is well educated and professional and a partner and not a home maker and perhaps they also invest money and have different objectives than those of  many of the guys who replied who are 60 or 70 or 80

Location of condo is a key factor. If your condo is great but far or inconvenient to go anywhere, then that may be a cause of boredom. Your suggestion of renting and perhaps moving around often suggests there is not enough near you to keep you happy.

Perhaps one needs to first figure out what they want to do daily, their interests and hobbies, then find the nearer most suited condo.

As for buy vs rent, there are arguments on both sides. I suggest to not pay more than you can easily throw away, and expect the building to be badly built, maintained, and undesirable in 5 to 10 years, with plan to sell by then.

You might get lucky but plan for being unlucky.

47 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Location of condo is a key factor. If your condo is great but far or inconvenient to go anywhere, then that may be a cause of boredom. Your suggestion of renting and perhaps moving around often suggests there is not enough near you to keep you happy.

Perhaps one needs to first figure out what they want to do daily, their interests and hobbies, then find the nearer most suited condo.

Enter monkhood for 3 months, and your bored condo would become Nirvana...

On 15/07/2017 at 4:20 PM, trogers said:

Boredom is a symptom of loss in the purpose of living. Nothing to do with the kind of abode.

Remember the story of 'The Prince and the Pauper'?

I just feel I might have more to occupy myself with in a house with a garden, always something to do, rather than a box up in the sky.

2 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Who wouldn't get bored living in a 2 x 4 box looking out into a concrete jungle everyday. Give me the quiet country jungle everyday with room to move.

2 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Who wouldn't get bored living in a 2 x 4 box looking out into a concrete jungle everyday. Give me the quiet country jungle everyday with room to move.

Mukdahan vs a box........... hmmmm, close call.

My box is 40 Sqm and close enough to any amenity I may require.

It is double the size of my man cave at my house, set in 25 rai,  in the jungle.

I guess I have the best of both worlds.

Just a little other consideration I am looking at currently. I rented a house for 2 years when first coming to Chiang Mai but when opportunity came along to buy, refurbish and decorate my own condo, I bought. I have been very happy with the approx. 100 sq. m. condo but .... Currently I live alone and am over 70. Everything is fine but what happens when I croat? My Sons, in the US, come to Thailand to settle things here, including the sale of the condo, car, etc. Don't think so. Easier to go back to renting. A bit cleaner exit.

Yes the nearer to death the less point in buying i think. Renting means you can spend that money also if need be

only idiots & fools buy condo in thailand as i have found out to my own cost.  

yes i am a fool for buying it but now its sold on at a loss but at least i didnt lose all my money.

do not buy ....RENT !! 

Depends doesn't it? where did you buy and why so bad?

As for boredom, maybe its just itchy feet and needing a change or maybe just a bad location and/or design from the off

3 hours ago, pumpjack said:

only idiots & fools buy condo in thailand as i have found out to my own cost.

yes i am a fool for buying it but now its sold on at a loss but at least i didnt lose all my money.

do not buy ....RENT !! 

I know some who have made a decent return on their condos. Perhaps they were not as idiotic and foolish as others.....

Agree about rentin; if for no other reason than flexibility to move easily to a new location if you so desire. 

Edited by Jip99

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Mukdahan vs a box........... hmmmm, close call.

My box is 40 Sqm and close enough to any amenity I may require.

It is double the size of my man cave at my house, set in 25 rai,  in the jungle.

I guess I have the best of both worlds.

Nothing wrong with the Mukdahan Province, not much different from most provinces in Thailand, find the right spot that makes you happy and enjoy life. Cheers