Dead girl asked to stop for selfie beside expressway

rooster59

Dead girl asked to stop for selfie beside expressway

By The Nation

df8db5a122612603a1dd48f808eb381c.png

A man is in police custody after his luxury car hit and killed a 16-year old girl posing for a selfie shot on the side of an expressway in Pathum Thani province early Sunday.

The victim’s friends told police that the girl asked to stop for photos on their way home.

The accident took place shortly before 3am. 

Car driver Bodin Pattaranupha, 28, said he was on his way home and could not see that the girl was out on the side of the expressway. 

Police have taken Bodin to the Sam Khok Police Station for further legal action.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320879

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-16

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happened again just the other week if I remember rightly, only that time a minivan stopped and a Beemer driver hit the van which threw the van driver in the drink, can't remember if anyone else was killed or injured.

They really are idiots all of them, can you imagine stopping on the QE 11 Bridge or the bridge over the River Severn or the Forth Road bridge to take a selfie or a picture, you'd be nicked in minutes, chuffing bunch of numb nuts. 

1 hour ago, Meljames said:

Some countries have laws about stopping on an expressway. I guess isn't one of them.

just because there is a law it doesn't stop people breaking them.

sounds like this is down to common sense, and the problem with common sense is that it's not that common.

and possibly careless driving.

8 minutes ago, samsensam said:

sounds like this is down to common sense, and the problem with common sense is that it's not that common.

True that. I was thinking about the diver that hit her. The article says the police took him in 'for further legal action'. Sounds like there's a chance he could be held liable for the accident.  Doesn't sound like he had time to stop.

Edited by Meljames

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Phones have flashes on them these days!

Shame she didn't point it in the direction that the poor bugger who hit her was coming from -  he may well of avoided hitting her. 

Talk about stupid, but guess at 16 lacking any real education from home on the dangers. 

4 minutes ago, Meljames said:

True that. I was thinking about the diver that hit her. The article says the police took him in 'for further legal action'. Sounds like there's a chance he could be held liable for the accident. Doesn't make much sense if he is.

Even if a person is in the wrong (let us say, standing in the middle of a highway at night), the driver has to convince the police that he was diligent in his driving, he could not avoid hitting the person. Does not automatically give him freedom to walk away.

4 minutes ago, Meljames said:

True that. I was thinking about the diver that hit her. The article says the police took him in 'for further legal action'. Sounds like there's a chance he could be held liable for the accident.  Doesn't sound like he had time to stop.

It depends on his position on the road...and hers ,of course. Was he traveling at speed and overtaking on the verge/ in the emergency lane. She didn't deserve to die because just because she made a dumb choice. My money's on the hiso Merc driver hurtling along like a lunatic.

14 minutes ago, samsensam said:

Careless driving on the one who stopped for her to take pictures, trust he get a rap on the knuckles for stupidity. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  But.... I can remember several things I did in my invincible, younger years that should have done me in.  I just got lucky.  This young girl, wrong place, wrong time, all the holes in the swiss cheese lined up.  Happens 1,000s of times a day all over the world.

4 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

It depends on his position on the road...and hers ,of course. Was he traveling at speed and overtaking on the verge/ in the emergency lane. She didn't deserve to die because just because she made a dumb choice. My money's on the hiso Merc driver hurtling along like a lunatic.

A conflagration of stupidity. Who's to blame?. The driver who stopped on the expressway should be liable for his share.    Thai philosophy: if he wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened.

Edited by Meljames

2 minutes ago, clockman said:

R.I.P. But these smart phones make you stupid.

They are an absolute CURSE. I see elderly people on the BTS standing because seats are all taken by 'phone graspers. 10 or even 5 years ago...never see that as Thais would leap from their seats to give it to the elderly:  

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

Even if a person is in the wrong (let us say, standing in the middle of a highway at night), the driver has to convince the police that he was diligent in his driving, he could not avoid hitting the person. Does not automatically give him freedom to walk away.

No it doesn't give the driver freedom to walk away, but but

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Happened again just the other week if I remember rightly, only that time a minivan stopped and a Beemer driver hit the van which threw the van driver in the drink, can't remember if anyone else was killed or injured.

They really are idiots all of them, can you imagine stopping on the QE 11 Bridge or the bridge over the River Severn or the Forth Road bridge to take a selfie or a picture, you'd be nicked in minutes, chuffing bunch of numb nuts. 

Those bridges in Issan?

A few facts drawn from the report and photo..

1.The accident happened on an expressway in Pathum Thani at 3.a.m., so  light traffic at that time.. 

2. The driver of the car that hit her was taken to Sam Khok Police Station.

3. The only expressway near Sam Khok is the Hwy #9 Western Outer Ring Rd.

4. The rescue team is working at an off Ramp on the highway.

5.There is an emergency stopping hard shoulder on both sides of the highway.

If the car she had been riding in had stopped on this lane, why did Mr Bodin hit her? Was she standing in the left lane or the emergency stopping lane?

Was he paying attention to the road ahead of him?

What lane was he in when he struck her?

(sorry, just had a bit of spare time on my hands):unsure:

RIP to the deceased girl too.

Edited by ratcatcher

Little off topic but I recently saw an article about a (Russian?) girl posting selfies or maybe video as she and her girlfriend slammed into a tree or some other immoveable object ...live.

Very sad but that is the world we live in today.

Naturally RIP to the girl...

Was it necressary in the article to put "in his luxury car?"

What does it have to do with the death of the reckless girl? A durian delivery truck would have hit and killed her the same....

What are some "journalists" trying to do to this country?  are you trying to set up the rich against the poor?

Or, the locals against the farangs?

I don't know who wrote the article, but he/she sure seems to have a problem with other people's riches..the word is called jealousy!

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Naturally RIP to the girl...

Was it necressary in the article to put "in his luxury car?"

What does it have to do with the death of the reckless girl? A durian delivery truck would have hit and killed her the same....

What are some "journalists" trying to do to this country?  are you trying to set up the rich against the poor?

Or, the locals against the farangs?

I don't know who wrote the article, but he/she sure seems to have a problem with other people's riches..the word is called jealousy!

Could have said in his german made taxi but that doesn't look as good.