Large pumps at work in Ang Thong as waters continue to rise

rooster59

Large pumps at work in Ang Thong as waters continue to rise

By The Nation

85c8ec13abccc598eae93e1e07609868-atwb.jpeg

Ang Thong authorities are doing their best to protect the economic and government-agency zone in this Central province.

As of press time on Sunday, the level of the Chao Phraya River in front of the Ang Thong Provincial Hall had already reached 6.25 metres. Concerns are growing because the water level has risen fast over the past few days. 

The Royal Irrigation Department recently announced that it would have to release water from the Chao Phraya Dam due to the huge volume of run-off from upstream areas.

On Sunday, officials from Angthong City Municipality installed four large pumps around key economic and government facilities as a measure to prevent flooding. 

In Angthong’s Pa Mok district, the Phong Pheng Canal overflowed in a village with floodwaters measuring between 50 and 90 centimetres deep. 

“We have now moved our belongings to higher ground as it’s clear flooding looks set to worsen,” said Prasarn Warakorn, a 60-year-old local.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320881

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-16

Wife said today  thay have opened all the gates on the Passack  Dam in Lopburi ,the Passak river flows into the  Chao Praya river in Ayutthaya province , a bit down from  Ang Tong ,so we now have more water going into the Chao Praya river , which will  not  do any thing to help Ang Thong,Thai  logic  anyone .

44 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wife said today  thay have opened all the gates on the Passack  Dam in Lopburi ,the Passak river flows into the  Chao Praya river in Ayutthaya province , a bit down from  Ang Tong ,so we now have more water going into the Chao Praya river , which will  not  do any thing to help Ang Thong,Thai  logic  anyone .

Well, protect Bangkok and flood the rest of Thailand....

10 hours ago, kickstart said:

If you look at the link provided by Bannork, you will see that the discharge is ~80% of inflow, so the dam is mitigating flooding. While it is only at 40% level and could reduce flow more right now, there is much more coming, and the historic level graph shows this dam fills very rapidly - and that is the last 2 years of drought.

7 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

They cant the water must flow through Bkk. But they spend YS flood prevention budget on drought relief. Let see how they explain a flooded Bkk away. 

Perhaps drought relief wouldn't have been so badly needed if someone hadn't reduced the major dam levels to less than 50% just before it started. December 2011 to July 2012 saw those dams dumped to prevent re-occurence of her embarrassment, a clearly political interference with water control.

Perhaps drought relief wouldn't have been so badly needed if someone hadn't reduced the major dam levels to less than 50% just before it started. December 2011 to July 2012 saw those dams dumped to prevent re-occurence of her embarrassment, a clearly political interference with water control.

It's July 2017 now. Someone has been out of office for 3 years. Someone else has been in power for 3 years.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

If you look at the link provided by Bannork, you will see that the discharge is ~80% of inflow, so the dam is mitigating flooding. While it is only at 40% level and could reduce flow more right now, there is much more coming, and the historic level graph shows this dam fills very rapidly - and that is the last 2 years of drought.

It's a very shallow dam in spite of its width. I love crossing it on the train when the reservoir is full, nothing to see but water. Contrast its capacity to Bhumipol dam. The latter is approx 14 times larger.

I will foretell y'all now.

This is the most rain we've had in 6 years up here, comfortably. What happened 6 years ago?
And we've still got another 10-12 weeks of rainy season to go.

BKK and surrounding areas are gonna have a huge problem come Oct-Nov.

You heard it here first.

36 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

This is the most rain we've had in 6 years up here, comfortably. What happened 6 years ago?

You heard it here first.

They're gonna have to move Bangkok to Ban Dung. 555

Thailand wouldn't know what large pumps look like, let alone having any to combat major inflow of flood water.

This is what decent flood control looks like.

Image result for louisiana flood control pumps

Edited by Artisi

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You heard it here first.

6 years ago they opened the dams at the worst possible time.. held them shut (for political reasons) and then had to open them at a time it was already raining a lot. Now the dams are far from full and they are already dumping water. So no it won't be e a repeat of then. I lived through it I was flooded so I keep updated. Now there is flooding.. but its not on the same scale. It is real unfortunate for the people but some just live in area's that are too hard to protect. You can't protect it all at all cost. Even in my country they accept some flooding from people who build in places they should not. To protect it all would cost just too much. 

I just hope that this time they won't lie like last time if a big flood is happening. I mean they got planes and satellites.. if something like last time is happening they know it. They knew it then too but lied about it to safe face. Lets hope the current mob is not as bad as those back then. A lot of people lost cars here because they believed the government of the time. I was lucky to have put mine at a friends condo as we don't use them. There was a lot of anger here pointed at the government during the floods for lying about the situation. 

Now this area bit above center of BKK is far more developed so I doubt they will allow it to flood.. too much economic damage. I also hope they did something between 2011 and now.. hard to say if they did or not and how useful it is. 

Last time, the flooding didn't peak until the new year. In Udon Thani, the fish ponds are overflowing, the lowest rice fields are already permanently flooded, and the khlongs are high. And we still have the 2 traditionally wettest months to come ...... 

If the rest of the country is as wet as up here, Those dams will all be full THIS month, not the end of the year. And all that water flowing down the Chaophraya can only get to the sea via the Bangkok area. I'm expected a sudden surge in the real estate market up here in about 2 months time. (Boomed in 2012, all Bangkok people buying bolt holes).

55 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Last time, the flooding didn't peak until the new year. In Udon Thani, the fish ponds are overflowing, the lowest rice fields are already permanently flooded, and the khlongs are high. And we still have the 2 traditionally wettest months to come ...... 

If the rest of the country is as wet as up here, Those dams will all be full THIS month, not the end of the year. And all that water flowing down the Chaophraya can only get to the sea via the Bangkok area. I'm expected a sudden surge in the real estate market up here in about 2 months time. (Boomed in 2012, all Bangkok people buying bolt holes).

No they won't be full. The 2 biggest dams in the north Bhumipol and Sirikit are at 46% and 48%, it will take 6.5 and 5.5 billion cubic metres to fill them.

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

No they won't be full. The 2 biggest dams in the north Bhumipol and Sirikit are at 46% and 48%, it will take 6.5 and 5.5 billion cubic metres to fill them.

Plus now they can do controlled releases.. that is much easier to do when you have spare capacity then when you have to release because your reaching dangerous levels. That is why they are constantly releasing water when they can. There will always be flooding.. but flooding on the 2011 scale is rare and was for a large part through mis management. 

22 hours ago, JAG said:

It's July 2017 now. Someone has been out of office for 3 years. Someone else has been in power for 3 years.

And there has been a 3 year drought. Does that make it the junta's fault the dams aren't full?

15 hours ago, robblok said:

6 years ago they opened the dams at the worst possible time.. held them shut (for political reasons) and then had to open them at a time it was already raining a lot. Now the dams are far from full and they are already dumping water. So no it won't be e a repeat of then. I lived through it I was flooded so I keep updated. Now there is flooding.. but its not on the same scale. It is real unfortunate for the people but some just live in area's that are too hard to protect. You can't protect it all at all cost. Even in my country they accept some flooding from people who build in places they should not. To protect it all would cost just too much. 

I just hope that this time they won't lie like last time if a big flood is happening. I mean they got planes and satellites.. if something like last time is happening they know it. They knew it then too but lied about it to safe face. Lets hope the current mob is not as bad as those back then. A lot of people lost cars here because they believed the government of the time. I was lucky to have put mine at a friends condo as we don't use them. There was a lot of anger here pointed at the government during the floods for lying about the situation. 

Now this area bit above center of BKK is far more developed so I doubt they will allow it to flood.. too much economic damage. I also hope they did something between 2011 and now.. hard to say if they did or not and how useful it is. 

What is it with you and Mrs Y? You really do have a fixation with the woman.

This is a thread about excess water, possible flooding and a helluva lot of rainfall.

Post no 19 has just confirmed there has been massive rainfall here in the NE and the NW since May, and there's still 2 odd months of it to come. It's all gotta go somewhere, which is down.

If you live in the BKK area in Nov-Dec, be prepared. And this time you can't blame it on Mrs Y....

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

What is it with you and Mrs Y? You really do have a fixation with the woman.

This is a thread about excess water, possible flooding and a helluva lot of rainfall.

Post no 19 has just confirmed there has been massive rainfall here in the NE and the NW since May, and there's still 2 odd months of it to come. It's all gotta go somewhere, which is down.

If you live in the BKK area in Nov-Dec, be prepared. And this time you can't blame it on Mrs Y....

I did not mention her name I kept it a political on a purpose. But the fact remains that 2011 was caused and extra bad because of the release of the dams. This is now not the case that is the whole base of the point I am making. Not who is to blame but to understand the difference in situation you had to know what made 2011 worse in 2011 and know that that factor now is NOT in play. 

You are right about he rain having to go somewhere and that it will go down, Thailand might be different but water still flows down.

Now they can release water in a better maner as they have capacity to take water in and only release when its safe. They did not have that luxury at that time because of the bad decisions. If your dams are going to overflow you can't hold in more. They can now, there is spare capacity. They also have shown that they are releasing water when they think its safe to make sure the levels don't go to high and force them too.

So yes there will be flooding, but not on a scale of 2011. Do you get it, now why i mentioned it, because the situation is different and I am really interested in this topic as I was flooded. People here hated the lack of information and the lies. If you know its coming you can prepare and in an other topic the governor made a good remark that the guys controlling the dams should give more then 24 hours ahead notice. Its all about information and making sure people suffer as less as possible. Not releasing information and lying made it worse back then. 

I am prepared got waders and stuff.. but only on a 2011 scale would i have to be worried.. and given the state of the dams (whole website full of info on that) I dont have to worry as they can still keep and release water without having their hands being forced. Then if it really does happen I do hope that information is better.. planning for it is everything. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I did not mention her name I kept it a political on a purpose. But the fact remains that 2011 was caused and extra bad because of the release of the dams. This is now not the case that is the whole base of the point I am making. Not who is to blame but to understand the difference in situation you had to know what made 2011 worse in 2011 and know that that factor now is NOT in play. 

You are right about he rain having to go somewhere and that it will go down, Thailand might be different but water still flows down.

Now they can release water in a better maner as they have capacity to take water in and only release when its safe. They did not have that luxury at that time because of the bad decisions. If your dams are going to overflow you can't hold in more. They can now, there is spare capacity. They also have shown that they are releasing water when they think its safe to make sure the levels don't go to high and force them too.

So yes there will be flooding, but not on a scale of 2011. Do you get it, now why i mentioned it, because the situation is different and I am really interested in this topic as I was flooded. People here hated the lack of information and the lies. If you know its coming you can prepare and in an other topic the governor made a good remark that the guys controlling the dams should give more then 24 hours ahead notice. Its all about information and making sure people suffer as less as possible. Not releasing information and lying made it worse back then. 

I am prepared got waders and stuff.. but only on a 2011 scale would i have to be worried.. and given the state of the dams (whole website full of info on that) I dont have to worry as they can still keep and release water without having their hands being forced. Then if it really does happen I do hope that information is better.. planning for it is everything. 

Okey dokey, let's just say you have been fore warned and i hope for you BKK residents i am wrong.

Get back to me in Dec-Jan, and let me know if you are wearing flip flops or wellies....

Just now, thaiguzzi said:

Okey dokey, let's just say you have been fore warned and i hope for you BKK residents i am wrong.

Get back to me in Dec-Jan, and let me know if you are wearing flip flops or wellies....

Last time I was flooded for 2 months it began early October.. so we will see. But I like to be warned by the government. These guys got spotter planes, satelite images and so on. If a large water-mass is going overland toward BKK they should be able to say so days / weeks before. That was one of my major gripes last time.. the information must have been there.. but it was just not brought out. They kept saying not to worry no flooding. 

Anyway lets hope for the sake of many people that they manage the dams better than last time and if something happens we get information faster. Truth be told the area where I am now is so much more developed now that I doubt they would let water go there. Too much economical damage. We even got a sky train here now (would have been real handy last time to get around). Ikea is building a shop where I live and bigger pumps have been installed. I have even seen them busy with big drains more then a few times. 

I do wonder what ever happened to all the flood prevention plans how much the junta did and how much the scrapped. Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Last time I was flooded for 2 months it began early October.. so we will see. But I like to be warned by the government. These guys got spotter planes, satelite images and so on. If a large water-mass is going overland toward BKK they should be able to say so days / weeks before. That was one of my major gripes last time.. the information must have been there.. but it was just not brought out. They kept saying not to worry no flooding. 

Anyway lets hope for the sake of many people that they manage the dams better than last time and if something happens we get information faster. Truth be told the area where I am now is so much more developed now that I doubt they would let water go there. Too much economical damage. We even got a sky train here now (would have been real handy last time to get around). Ikea is building a shop where I live and bigger pumps have been installed. I have even seen them busy with big drains more then a few times. 

I do wonder what ever happened to all the flood prevention plans how much the junta did and how much the scrapped. Only time will tell.

Aw c'mon Dutch Robbie, we won't tell anyone, i won't be jealous or angry. Just admit it. You do fancy her, don't ya? Mrs Y.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:19 PM, bannork said:

Yet the Pasak dam is only 40% full.

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

Yes, this is bizarre. 42 % today, but releasing water? And with Bhumibol dam at 45% and Sirikit dam at 49%, one is left with the distinct impression that all these dams could be storing a lot more water and avoiding present flooding downstream. One other explanation is that the water level data is not up to date and in fact these dams are near or at full, and therefore releasing water to avoid damage to dam structure. Whichever way you look at it, water resources management in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired and RID are the main culprits when it comes to poor and unaccountable management. Just take a look at their website to see what I mean.

On 18/7/2560 at 5:18 PM, plachon said:

Yes, this is bizarre. 42 % today, but releasing water? And with Bhumibol dam at 45% and Sirikit dam at 49%, one is left with the distinct impression that all these dams could be storing a lot more water and avoiding present flooding downstream. One other explanation is that the water level data is not up to date and in fact these dams are near or at full, and therefore releasing water to avoid damage to dam structure. Whichever way you look at it, water resources management in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired and RID are the main culprits when it comes to poor and unaccountable management. Just take a look at their website to see what I mean.

The thing with Pasak dam is being shallow, it fills,up so quickly. I remember last year it was hovering around 60% in August and then 2 storms came -pow! up to 100% in just 2 or 3 weeks.