Another refused entry

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Maybe I'm confused but :

Maybe and you missed the important part -----

"That is not true. That is only for the changes put in place for migrant workers. The working alien act of 2008 is still in effect" 

Ok so back on topic.

And this is the summary based on what he has said so far on his Facebook page:

He came in on a visa exempt (which he did many times in the past - not clear yet how many).

He says he was then asked to show 20K, which he couldn't, and "it just went downhill from there".

(Don't understand why not 10K but anyways)

He was told to apply for a visa next time.

This is to recap this one so far, ignoring all the drama from the other "rejected" threads.

Also, I'm sorry to say but his appearance has the potential to attract scrutiny IMO.

Edited by lkv

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

He says he was then asked to show 20K, which he couldn't, and "it just went downhill from there".

(Don't understand why not 10K but anyways)

That is not the first time I have heard of immigration wanting to see 20k baht instead of 10k baht for a visa exempt entry.

I often suggest the 20k baht for a visa exempt entry because of that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I read that article earlier. IMO  what the labor ministry said was a one off for Nate as a face saving move.

As far as I know the waiver is only for the harsher penalties under the new act.

This is what I also thought until I read about the 'Nate' story, I think I'll do a little digging on this one as I recall reading two previous acts were no longer valid now the new act is / was in place - what I don't recall is exactly which 2 acts were superceded by the new one.

34 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Maybe and you missed the important part -----

"That is not true. That is only for the changes put in place for migrant workers. The working alien act of 2008 is still in effect" 

I didn't, it's wrong though.

Which previous acts does the Royal Decree replace after it 'goes live' ?

It cancels and replaces the two main pieces of legislation regulating foreigners working in Thailand, namely these :

1 - Royal Decree on Bringing Alien to Work in the Kingdom B.E. 2559 (2016)
2 - Alien's Work Act B.E. 2551 (2008)

So the above acts no longer exist and 4 sections of the new 2017 Act have been suspended.

These sections : 101, 102, 119 and 122.

I can't find a full English translation of the new decree but I did find articles from KPMG and other law firms which state that the above sections cover the punishment of people who violate the new law. Apparently the sections mentioned above cover both employee and employer punishment.

So the current law is not being enforced and the old laws are DEFINITELY gone.

This does leave the country in a very interesting situation with regrad to foreigners working inside the Kingdom until January 2018 which is why it is worth further investigation.

Edited by ukrules

Just back from Vientiane , getting a tourist visa .

Third one from there .

Got the Visa , got back into Thailand , crossed at Nong Khai, no questions asked or asked to show anything .

Everyone else seemed to be getting stamped through with no questions either

Got to the Thai Embassy at 10 30 AM , filled out the forms, got photos done , handed in the application after a ten minute wait in the queue .

Got number 214 and picked up my PP the next day at 2.30 PM

They typically serve three people per minute , when giving PPs back , so whatever number you have , divide by three and work out what time you collection will be

Noticed this time the lack of Filipinos and Chinese getting Visas , last time I was there seven months ago , half the applicants were Chinese or Filipino , 250 odd , this time there were hardly any .

Maybe the clampdown on Thai Companies hiring foreign workers has taken effect ? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt they were Chinese since they can only apply for visas in China unless the have residency in Laos.

As they were all queue jumping, I did assume that they were Chinese :)

I did also notice the people from 70 Countries cannot apply for tourist visas in Vientiane , mainly African and Middle eastern Countries , unless they have residency in Laos .

(Some can apply, but it would take 4-6 weeks , as the application would have to be processed in Bangkok )

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did also notice the people from 70 Countries cannot apply for tourist visas in Vientiane , mainly African and Middle eastern Countries , unless they have residency in Laos .

Here is the list on Vientiane's website: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/RestrictedCountries2013.pdf

It says tourist visas but it is really for all visas.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:05 PM, JackThompson said:

This is from a COMEDY news outlet called "The Onion" - funny, but in some ways very, very true.  Look at startup funding for FB, Google and others for the serious-take.  I don't understand the whole mentality of putting your private life on FB-TV.  It's nuts.

Haha I've seen that. In reality, this is probably predictive programming and is what is being planned for the future (perhaps not everything but a lot of it). Most people will just look at it as satire, which for the uninitiated it is.

• Like 1