Noisy motorbikes in Thailand.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I have the same with guys, sometimes farang, on Harley Davidson motorbikes. It's beyond me why their passion has to negatively affect everyone around them.

It's incredibly selfish if you think about it. 

I like loud bikes so now you guys have to suffer.

Self esteem issues I suppose,?? bang it down a street, "Hey, look at me!!"   and of course we look, but rarely do I hear some one say "Cool Bike"

Simply annoying.
And I ride Motorcycle (2T), not really quiet but standard exhaust.
Thais don't drive long distances so it doesn't bother them much.
And also don't​ care much about others, sadly...

7 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Today though, with all the electronics built in, it does not make sense to fumble with the exhaust, as the engine would not perform any better. 

Actually, with the new Euro-4 emissions standards in effect, there's quite a bit of performance that can be attained by changing the exhaust (and commensurately adjusting the fueling to compensate for it)- high-displacement sportbikes can often be increased by 10+hp at the rear wheel (which raises it over 5%, a not-insubstantial gain, and one that can be easily felt by the rider).  Also (mostly due to new emissions standards) exhaust systems are bigger and heavier than they have been for many years, with a 10+kg weight savings often being attainable by switching to smaller cans and lighter materials (or going single-sided for bikes that come stock with a dual-sided system).

Not that any of that is an excuse for running an obnoxiously loud motorcycle (or you can argue that they're fast enough already), but most riders of high-performance bikes tend to tweak their machines for better performance, and it's as true today as it ever was that they can indeed be improved over the way they roll out of the dealership.

I think it's a noise perception issue, a cultural thing. I hear noisy bikes, barking dogs, music pumping so loudly that the windows in my house rattle, and I am the only person around who is seemingly bothered by all this.

Noise just doesn't seem to bother Thai and Lao people to the same degree it plagues Westerners. I don't know why it's so but it is clear to me it is so.

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

I think it's a noise perception issue, a cultural thing. I hear noisy bikes, barking dogs, music pumping so loudly that the windows in my house rattle, and I am the only person around who is seemingly bothered by all this.

Noise just doesn't seem to bother Thai and Lao people to the same degree it plagues Westerners. I don't know why it's so but it is clear to me it is so.

Same in Vietnam dogs and music particularly. Taxis have their two-way turned up full volume so when base calls the screeching noise almost gives you permanent ear damage.

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think Thais just like making noise in general. Motorbikes, firecrackers. karaoke, everything is noisy to excess.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You forgot DOGS. Barking all day and night yet a Thai never seems to hear it.

12 hours ago, Deli said:

I am neither Thai nor young but I am proud to be loud and btw... loud pipes safe lives !
You don't like it ? Leave

I get a kick out of the guys who choose a mode of transportation that 20-40 x as dangerous as the alternatives, then start justifying the obnoxious noise by claiming it's safer that way.

Like the guys who buy a 125 cc scooter, then cut out the muffler to make it go faster.

Wanna be safe?  Drive a 4 wheel vehicle.  Wanna go faster?  Buy a legal scooter with a bigger engine.  Neither one requires irritating everyone around you.

12 hours ago, AllanB said:

I get the idea that it is a little safer having a noisy bike, from the point of view that people can hear you coming before they see you, but it is also very distracting. So others may have an accident looking around to see what all the noise is about. Rubber necking is know to cause accidents.

If noise = safer every vehicle would make as much noise as possible. There would be no mufflers or noise laws and we would all be trying to make more noise than everybody else. A ridiculous idea.

Dream on if you think anyone will enforce this. It's annoying & sometimes so loud it reaches the inner ear, which is real painful. This is Thailand & no one really gives a shit outside their own boundaries ..... a sad fact, but true. Enjoy your day everyone ;-)

4 pages of whining tosh and moaning drivel.

If it was'nt loud motorcycles it would be something else. Dogs. Chickens. Music.

Or the weather. Or the food. Or the missus.

GET A LIFE...

Meet one of my motorcycles. You would not like her.

37" long 1 3/4" straight through pipes.

Made by  Lucifer himself in the Devil's Kitchen.

Fire and Brimstone.

All ear drums were harmed in the writing of this post.

59701911d7fb4_phonephotostoApril2017306.thumb.jpg.41b97aa39b8a27918a929d03072d618c.jpg

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

It is against the law to increase the exhaust  noise level by removing the muffler on the exhaust . However Thais regard noise as macho and for them 'no muff is too tough '

Some of the best things in life are illegal.

Some of  the best food in life is "unhealthy".

I have a tattoo on my left wrist - "what we have here is a total lack of respect for the law".

I have a tattoo on my right wrist - "when we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets".

If it was'nt loud motorcycles it would be something else. Dogs. Chickens. Music.
GET A LIFE...
Fire and Brimstone.

59701911d7fb4_phonephotostoApril2017306.thumb.jpg.41b97aa39b8a27918a929d03072d618c.jpg

I love good sounding motorcycles, even if they are a bit loud. But I always have to laugh at people riding old bikes with open exhaust.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Bet it does as good a job as my Dyna at setting off car alarms.

Bet mine sets off more car alarms than yours.

Great not growing up innit.

Edited by thaiguzzi

18 minutes ago, Nickymaster said:

I love good sounding motorcycles, even if they are a bit loud. But I always have to laugh at people riding old bikes with open exhaust.

ER, why?

Nothing better than old bikes with loud open pipes. Brit singles, Brit twins, old Ducati's, old Guzzi's, old Harleys, even old Triumph triples.

But modern bikes with open pipes, especially multi 4 cylinders, - YUK, 'orrible screaming things.

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No he is not, he is speaking for the majority of the people. I would love to

see all excessive noisy motorbikes crushed at the side of the road.

l think anyone has the right to complain but come on we were all young at one time and the young here are great, let them be as noisy as they like. 

GET A LIFE...
Fire and Brimstone.

That's loud with style!
Like it.
However, the majority here are scooters with modified exhausts and they​ just sound loud. Not nice sound, just as loud as it gets...

Cannot......resist........................must post photo of my loud chopper!

Next to one of my favourite restaurants in Rawai..............

...............take that, haters!

Honda Chopper.jpg

Edited by Tapster

What is really annoying is that those little boys and their noisy mobile sewing machines progress eventuallly to greater heights of wankery via football ground speaker systems in their cars, the untrammelled loudspeakers in a range of mobile trader enterprises constantly touting business up and down sois and villages, or temple P systems or just plain inconsiderate displays of deafening blasts at all-weekend parties for equally drunken bands or karaoke singrs who believe the decibels cancel out off-key notes. I'm tireed of such idiocy waking me at 3am each weekend night. Town or rural - doesn't sem to make any difference.

3 minutes ago, sandemara said:

What is really annoying is that those little boys and their noisy mobile sewing machines progress eventuallly to greater heights of wankery via football ground speaker systems in their cars, the untrammelled loudspeakers in a range of mobile trader enterprises constantly touting business up and down sois and villages, or temple P systems or just plain inconsiderate displays of deafening blasts at all-weekend parties for equally drunken bands or karaoke singrs who believe the decibels cancel out off-key notes. I'm tireed of such idiocy waking me at 3am each weekend night. Town or rural - doesn't sem to make any difference.

Ever thought about moving ---If you do please do not move next to me because i really do not want such a fun(miserable?) person as a neighbour.