What is this ammnesty for WP i read about?

yes it seems that the grey area  has become a little murkier   of late , however i am sure the powers to be are aware of the loophole they seem to have created will soon turn into a noose for those who feel tempted to test the water

The relaxation of labour laws is specifically for nationals of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar who hold or need to obtain a passport, Non-LA visa and work permit for Thailand.

Citizens of these countries are given limited dispensation to work in occupations (mainly manual labour type jobs) prohibited to other foreign nationals.

I don't think the current relaxation covers YouTubers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The relaxation of labour laws is specifically for nationals of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar who hold or need to obtain a passport, Non-LA visa and work permit for Thailand.

Citizens of these countries are given limited dispensation to work in occupations (mainly manual labour type jobs) prohibited to other foreign nationals.

I don't think the current relaxation covers YouTubers.

There are good reasons why the dispensation is specifically for these Nationals, the companies that employ them would face much more severe financial penalties and to replace these migrant workers with locals is probably impractical and far less profitable, so they will have put a lot of pressure on the Government when this was announced, I would seriously doubt that it involves any compassion towards the migrant workers.

It certainly doesn't mean that your average Farang can suddenly start working without a WP, probably just an easy way out for them regarding this 'Youtube Dude'

What could be more interesting for expats is that whoever hire a foreign worker (housekeepers included) must get a special permit called "quota" (to renew yearly) which allows to him/her to hire the personnel. Without this quota he is liable of providing illegal job. The work permit of the worker is indeed "bound" to the "quota permit" of the employer.

2 hours ago, Svadhistana said:

What could be more interesting for expats is that whoever hire a foreign worker (housekeepers included) must get a special permit called "quota" (to renew yearly) which allows to him/her to hire the personnel. Without this quota he is liable of providing illegal job. The work permit of the worker is indeed "bound" to the "quota permit" of the employer.

only needed it you hire a foreigner. I do understand most maid are from Burma, but I have had some Thai maids.

"Amnesty" is probably the wrong word. Just giving the Thai-Employers the opportunity to "legalize" their "illigal" workers by registering them.
Something had to be done: After the Exodus of foreighn construction workers, major construction projects are in danger of falling behind building schedules.
This "Amnesty" involves only "laborers" from neighboring countries like Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar.

"Farangs" are not part of the deal.
Cheers.

17 hours ago, perthperson said:

There is no amnesty and there has been no change in the law requiring WPs

Enjoy your dream !

Im afraid you are wrong a presidence has now been set (if the story is true of course re dept of work granting him an amnesty). Which means as one has been publicly let of the need for WP it follows others can use this  as a defence if penalised via a court of law

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Im afraid you are wrong a presidence has now been set (if the story is true of course re dept of work granting him an amnesty). Which means as one has been publicly let of the need for WP it follows others can use this  as a defence if penalised via a court of law

One case (details of which are "hazy"  does not set a 'precedence'.

You are obviously a "lawyer" who forgot to qualify! :smile:

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

One case (details of which are "hazy"  does not set a 'precedence'.

You are obviously a "lawyer" who forgot to qualify! :smile:

Your wrong again one case does set a presidence. Look in any law journals they always seek out a ruling somewhere.  So please stop with the snide coments and think before you type. I know thats hard for you but you can do it.

Edited by jeab1980

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Look in any law journals they always seek out a ruling somewhere

Why would "they" be  seeking rulings on any "precedence" which according to you are established and set in stone once one very doubtful case is settled? 

I do know one thing, anybody who is thinking of 'testing' the system by openly working without a work permit would be a fool, those in power here make the rules and it has been proven time and time again that they will bend those rules whichever way they have to, regardless of any precedence.

My advice would be try it at your peril!

prec·e·dence
ˈpresədəns,prēˈsēdns/
noun
noun: precedence; noun: precedency
  1. the condition of being considered more important than someone or something else; priority in importance, order, or rank.

prec·e·dent
noun
noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
ˈpresəd(ə)nt/
  1. 1.
    an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Why would "they" be  seeking rulings on any "precedence" which according to you are established and set in stone once one very doubtful case is settled? 

Whatever you say. Pointless discusion with you.

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:
noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
ˈpresəd(ə)nt/
  1. 1.
    an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

As in I don't need a work permit now 'cos there is a "precedent" ? 

The answer would be "Yes you do, we have considered your quoted "precedent' and have rejected it as being nonsense" !  :smile:

Just now, perthperson said:

As in I don't need a work permit now 'cos there is a "precedent" ? 

The answer would be "Yes you do, we have considered your quoted "precedent' and have rejected it as being nonsense" !  :smile:

Oh dear spelling police mods please. Enjoy getting your post count up. Enjoy room 101

The second rule of living in Asia:  Just because someone else did it, doesn't mean you'll get away with it.

The first rule:  Just because you did it last year, doesn't mean it will work again this year.

The third rule:  Just because you saw it happen, doesn't mean you know what really happened (never mind understanding why).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

The second rule of living in Asia:  Just because someone else did it, doesn't mean you'll get away with it.

The first rule:  Just because you did it last year, doesn't mean it will work again this year.

The third rule:  Just because you saw it happen, doesn't mean you know what really happened (never mind understanding why).

You forgot the fourth rule.

Do as you please but dont mention it on here No Problems then.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:47 PM, Mattd said:

There are good reasons why the dispensation is specifically for these Nationals, the companies that employ them would face much more severe financial penalties and to replace these migrant workers with locals is probably impractical and far less profitable, so they will have put a lot of pressure on the Government when this was announced, I would seriously doubt that it involves any compassion towards the migrant workers.

It certainly doesn't mean that your average Farang can suddenly start working without a WP, probably just an easy way out for them regarding this 'Youtube Dude'

The YouTube dude "my Mate Nate" did a stupid stunt where he placed coins on train tracks and was caught. For whatever reason, being a foreigner (would have been the same if "my mate" were Cambodian or Burmese although it's even more newsworthy if the foreigner comes from a rich country), the authorities also decided to look into his legal status. In the west, if a foreigner had done the same thing, leftists would be screaming "racist!" "how dare you look into whether he has a work permit or legal visa!" "open borders!" "no one is illegal!" but this is Thailand so PC barely exists here. His YouTubing is incidental and not really the problem, the problem is he performed a stupid and dangerous stunt and has done stupid things before (animal cruelty has been mentioned), all broadcasting them on YouTube.

I know of another relatively famous middle aged Thailand based YouTuber who actually does funny videos on ordinary everyday things in Thailand. No controversial topics, no stupid stunts and nobody is interested in his legal status or work permit. In fact, he has revealed he lives in Thailand on tourist visas but is probably trying to sort out a better long-term visa option.