Jobs forbidden for foreigners - Labor ministry says law is out of date and there will be changes

snoop1130

11 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Excellent article.  A must read.  Love this quote:

Thailand’s Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin poses a rhetorical question as he ponders the task of making innovation a bigger engine of economic growth: would people prefer an electric car developed in the Southeast Asian nation, or one made by Tesla Inc.?

“Are you dreaming?” Teerakiat said in an interview. “We can’t even invent a motorbike.”

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Its about time, my Thai security guard at my condo was getting tired of rolling my ciggarettes for me...

And I'll be able to run the clippers over my head on the patio, instead of hiding away in the kitchen to do it.

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Woranon said that the centers in Bangkok would be able to cope with processing 2000 each per day during the 15 days of operation.

Yeah, right. 

Right away, the first thing this country needs is an influx of foreigners to teach math. 

11 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Teerakiat, who said he’s Thailand’s 20th education minister in 17 years, is trying to close the skills gap in a country struggling to match some of the education gains made by Southeast Asian neighbors. 

After his remarks I guess No. 21 already received a call regarding a job offer.

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

I literally can't wait to see how they <deleted> this up, I'm almost certain that whatever they change it will be to the detriment of the country as a whole.

Now that's real positivity?

11 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Personally i think "Hooters" is behind the wanting a change as they can not find qualified thai lady's  to work

One of the Hooters in Bangkok has a nice looking white woman working there, presumably as a manager or trainer.   

I dream of a day when Bangkok becomes more like Hong Kong and Singapore and we see far more westerners living and working here.    Sadly I doubt it will ever happen.

12 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Excellent article the main points of which have been articulated many times by members on this forum. Of course they are usually just dismissed as the bitter rants of ' Thai bashers '.One hears so many grandiose ideas proposed by the authorities but the fundamentals of education , lateral thinking and languages , are never addressed. One might think that certain people dont actually want change in the country !

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

They have never managed to get anything right so far. Why should this be an exception? This will end in tears for Thais and foreigners; nothing surer.

Despots at work I am afraid.

Despots 'dipsticks' at work I am afraid.

(My italics and strike out)

A shimmer of light in a dark outdated room, I hope things are carried through in a thoughtful and intelligent manner; but I am not holding my breath. If they really want to bring things up to date, address the current situation with digital nomads and foreigners running a business online, which does not warrant hiring 4 Thais to open your laptop, make you coffee and whatever else 

12 hours ago, bornredi said:

the thais are their own worst enemy, many people do not want to move to a country to just retire and  sit  and drink all day, they want to be active and start and run a business and pass on their skills to others

100% correct . But they can't see that . Passing on a skill would be the best thing for the country . The young learn from the older . Then become skilled . This should have happened years and years ago . In all fields .  Construction, trades , even music . 

13 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Looks like the old artists in burnt clay(bricklayers) are getting the green light, show these Bengal lancers how to build straight and plumb.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm sitting right now in a 38000 baht per month condo where the door does not hang straight and the toilet does not flush correctly and the lighting is inadequate and there are no dual paned windows.  A little foreign know-how would go a long way here.  Thais would benefit greatly by at least allowing 20% of these protected occupations to be done nationally by foreigners to provide "salt for the leaven."  

12 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Biggest mistake you will ever make in Thailand.

My advice would be ONLY to come here to sit and drink all day, preferably with a 20yo on your lap. 

Chok dee!

As I am 70, happily married to a middle aged darling, I would feel rather useless drinking all day and feeling awfully silly doing that with a 20-year old girl on my lap.

13 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Biggest mistake you will ever make in Thailand.

My advice would be ONLY to come here to sit and drink all day, preferably with a 20yo on your lap. 

Chok dee!

With a very senior member of the clergy up on charges, just wondering if you mean a 20 year old male or female. 555

I'm sitting right now in a 38000 baht per month condo where the door does not hang straight and the toilet does not flush correctly and the lighting is inadequate and there are no dual paned windows.  A little foreign know-how would go a long way here.  Thais would benefit greatly by at least allowing 20% of these protected occupations to be done nationally by foreigners to provide "salt for the leaven."  

100% correct sir, it all depends on how many want to shimmy up a bamboo pole to get to the floor level that their working on, I gross between £8/900 a week in England on the trowel, be interesting to see what the wages on offer would be here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

even if this only half works it will be a step in the right direction, the first positive move I have seen like I said when they started hunting illegal workers a few weeks ago half the labor force in the city I live in are Cambodians a lot of them doing work the local Thais do not want to do, a lot of them started heading home when the immigration police came sniffing around

I have the feelings that very soon Thailand will open the work market to the Chinese labor force too. Makes sense, even if it will put many Thais out the job, and to force them to compete in business. Already can see Chinese buying business in North Thailand, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.... staring with hotels, and housing projects. It is a trend that is getting more active now

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

A shimmer of light in a dark outdated room, I hope things are carried through in a thoughtful and intelligent manner; but I am not holding my breath

Me too. Then I can relocate my Thai Doll making and Mullberry Paper manufacturing business back to Thailand.

Not to the mention the global Alms bowl shortage.....that occupation definitely needs to open up to foreigners so Thailand can become the Alms bowl hub of Asia.

Seriously, get a dose of reality. Thai buearocrats and politicians talk all they want about changes and "modernizing", but over the last 3 decades I've seen, nothing really changes in Thailand. Only fools go beleiving their empty promises.

AND the most ridiculous thing of all, the Labor Dept has discretion over all work permit applications anyway, so even if the occupation is not on the restricted list you still need to justify why a thai can't be hired instead of hiring the foreign worker......So yes, the truth is the forbidden occupation list is meaningless.

Edited by Time Traveller

I would say a major issue skilled or educated work force in thailand is Salary.

The average salary of a programmer is 29,000 baht (less than $900) while the average salary of a programmer in a western country is much higher. IE Middle and upper-class Thais send their children to get educated in a western country and a small percentage come back to actually contribute to Thailand's skilled workforce.