A passion for bikes is inborn l think so.

Kwasaki

14 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Not quite correct.

When Triumph were top of their game, they were bought by BSA. Unfortunately.

Without delving into my books, Ariel bought Triumph before they'd even brought out any of their famous twins, ie 1936, i think.

Yeah one of my hobbies if it can be called that is reading motorcycle history.

It was a shame big business got hold motorcycle companies and the 1929 great depression and the wars took there toll on so many m/c names who started in the 1800's.

Jack Sangster owned Ariel who bought Triumph In 1944 Sangster sold Ariel to the BSA company for profit,  in 1951 sold Triumph to BSA for £2.5 million on his invested £50,000 buying Triumph in 1936.

Edward Turner a British motorcycle engine designer is an interesting read on his career in motorcycle companies he started with Ariel before that had his own bike Turner Special. 

" In July 1937 the 500 cc Speed Twin was basis for all Triumph twins until the 1980's " 

Triumph's first parallel twin 650 engine used was designed by Valentine Page the Triumph 6/1 in 1933. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Nearly. Nice innit?

Yeah always like the look of that engine design a real beaut also a brute l guess.

34 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

It probably is a GT, with a damaged belly pan removed for some reason, and someone is riding pillion, so the seat cover is off and the pillion pegs down.

Many people remove or replace things on there bikes as we know.

The Fireblade I had only got small slim indicators front & rear,  oem were big fat & wobbled, also a carbon lookalike race box and smaller foot-pegs.

Kept everything though,  which was good because it became a classic,  which had no idea of such a thing happening to the bike until a mate told me who was a motorcycle engineer.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Here's one for you...my mate in UK keeps his Z900 in his living room

Had a ride of one as l did so many different bikes that l didn't own.

Owed a Z650 but my favorite Kwacka was ZX-9R some said as good as a Fireblade although had a blade I found the ZX a better road bike.

A mate had one and we use to swap over on ride outs.

144913@Kawasaki-ZX-9R.jpg.1a64cae4ee44bad16eeb6b5f69c5af45.jpg

A weeee story that I reckon is on topic and something to read...:stoner:

My ex and I bought a house which had to have a garage for my Pontiac fun thing...

Moved in, next got a guy to tow my Pontiac to my new abode....We had to push it into the garage...My new neighbour appeared all smiles to lend a hand...We chatted lots and he was very happy a gear head lived next door cos he was a bike guy with similar "but different" thoughts..

He did a 100 mile round trip every day to work in a car, traffic got that bad he started to use his bike..I cannot remember what it was...Then he bought an Aprilia 250cc to do the run...Perhaps not a good idea...Anyhooo, he decided to get heavily involved with club circuit racing with the Aprilia, tuning etc made it useless for the work trip, he then bought a couple of Triumphs of the day, triples I think..

He had a VW LT camper to take him and mum on holidays and then bought a 4 wheel box  trailer for his race machine. Sadly the VW had a piss poor engine to pull the combined weight.

The engine was in between the driver and passenger seat under cover...

He told me he had real trouble backing the trailer up the drive ramp at his house and up hills out on the road....Hmmmm, let me have a look under that engine hood......Hmmmm, I can put a small block V8 in that space.............:smile:

He said, do it.........So I sourced a 5.8 Chevy with a TH350 auto trans, needed work but we were on our way...Had the trans beefed up whilst l rebuilt the engine for torque....A lot of fun getting the combo through the passenger door in a position to make engine mounts etc....

Did that and got the original prop shaft shortened and the GM yoke welded in and balanced...The ride ended up a blast, boy racers hated being seen off from the lights by a camper...

Yep it cured all his power stuff..

I rebuilt the engine in his garage, it was easier for me, but he had a second garage in the back garden full to the rafters with crap...So one day he said I must clear all that stuff out...Big job for sure, but what was at the back under all the crap....

Kwak.jpg.c08df0ab50edf7cedc672b52402f3b61.jpg

I think it was one of these, 6 pot Kwak......My eyes opened with visions of clip ons, big tank, single seat, rear sets.......A fun ride......

He said I should sell it.....I thought I have no room............:sad:

That was the only time I thought of doing the two wheel thing again, just for fun......Think a drag racer bought it..

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah one of my hobbies if it can be called that is reading motorcycle history.

It was a shame big business got hold motorcycle companies and the 1929 great depression and the wars took there toll on so many m/c names who started in the 1800's.

Jack Sangster owned Ariel who bought Triumph In 1944 Sangster sold Ariel to the BSA company for profit,  in 1951 sold Triumph to BSA for £2.5 million on his invested £50,000 buying Triumph in 1936.

Edward Turner a British motorcycle engine designer is an interesting read on his career in motorcycle companies he started with Ariel before that had his own bike Turner Special. 

" In July 1937 the 500 cc Speed Twin was basis for all Triumph twins until the 1980's " 

Triumph's first parallel twin 650 engine used was designed by Valentine Page the Triumph 6/1 in 1933. 

Edward.... Turner..... was.... GOD...

Meriden was his Heaven.... On.... Earth......

1 hour ago, transam said:

That was the only time I thought of doing the two wheel thing

Doug Domokos preferred the one wheel (I saw him at Silverstone on his Z1300...bl00dy amazing)

bea5gi.jpg

1 hour ago, transam said:

I think it was one of these, 6 pot Kwak.....

That was the only time I thought of doing the two wheel thing again, just for fun......Think a drag racer bought it..

An original 1978 Z me thinks.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

An original 1978 Z me thinks.

I picked a pic off the net that looked like it, but l think it was an 1100cc, l could be wrong, but the bike was red (tank)....

Edited by transam

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I know but the bike I saw looked the same but l could not find an 1100cc in fed...BUT, it was a Kwak six pot....And very impressive..

The six pots know of made were these.

Benelli Sei,  BMW K1600,  Honda RC166,  Honda CBX,  Honda GoldWing,  Honda RC series

Honda Rune 2004-2005,  Honda Valkyrie,  Honda RC174,  Horex VR6,  Kawasaki Z1300,

Suzuki Stratosphere.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The six pots know of made were these.

Benelli Sei,  BMW K1600,  Honda RC166,  Honda CBX,  Honda GoldWing,  Honda RC series

Honda Rune 2004-2005,  Honda Valkyrie,  Honda RC174,  Horex VR6,  Kawasaki Z1300,

Suzuki Stratosphere.

Then it was a 1300....:stoner:

No it wasn't........facepalm.gif.d0af336380915084019e30898d83bc49.gif

Edited by transam

58 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Doug Domokos preferred the one wheel (I saw him at Silverstone on his Z1300...bl00dy amazing)

bea5gi.jpg

Great.

I saw Arto Nyquist and a very brave young ballerina perform a truly awesome show on a Z1300 at a Truck Race at Silverstone in the mid 80's.

That young lady had bigger balls than me (and was considerably hotter).

Incidentally, the reason I was at Silverstone in the first place was to cheer on our local Formula Ford Driver - John Booth.

John Booth was a Butcher and had a shop in Rotherham. We lived in the same village (Todwick - Sheffield- South Yorkshire - England). Same place as Neil Warnock of Sheffield United.

I bought a bike trailer off him, pile of scrap, he wanted 50 quid, but I bought it as I had to have trailer to get my bike to the likes of Mallory Park / Cadwell Park and Snetterton.

John Booth is now the Director of racing for the Torro Rosso Formula 1 Racing Team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Booth_(motor_racing)

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

bea5gi.jpg

Great.

I saw Arto Nyquist and a very brave young ballerina perform a truly awesome show on a Z1300 at a Truck Race at Silverstone in the mid 80's.

Incidentally, the reason I was at Silverstone in the first place was to cheer on our local Formula Ford Driver - John Booth.

John Booth was a Butcher and had a shop in Rotherham. We lived in the same village (Todwick - Sheffield- South Yorkshire - England). Same place as Neil Warnock of Sheffield United.

I bought a bike trailer off him, pile of scrap, he wanted 50 quid, but I bought it as I had to have trailer to get my bike to the likes of Mallory Park / Cadwell Park and Snetterton.

John Booth is now the Director of racing for the Torro Rosso Formula 1 Racing Team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Booth_(motor_racing)

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I just had to make inquiries........It was this.......:stoner:...sorry

hon.jpg.1b97596167b8e1a00508b37af45737de.jpg

When I was the proud owner of my 3 BHP 30 MPH Suzuki GT50, I was knocked out by just looking at a Moto Martin framed CBX in a local dealer.

It really blew my mind and steered me towards the next best thing I had enough money for ----- a Suzuki GP100 

16 hours ago, soihok said:

I've heard of Mike ( Michelle ) Duff,   not Arto ( A ? ? ? ? ) Nyquist yet though. :laugh: :biggrin:

17 hours ago, soihok said:

I was knocked out by just looking at a Moto Martin framed CBX in a local dealer.

A guy I know comes over to Samui every year during the quiet season back home, he's from Brighton and runs a diving/fishing boat...he just sold his CBX...if you liked the Moto Martin you'll love this...

IMAG0058.jpg

56 minutes ago, Neilly said:

A guy I know comes over to Samui every year during the quiet season back home, he's from Brighton and runs a diving/fishing boat...he just sold his CBX...if you liked the Moto Martin you'll love this...

IMAG0058.jpg

Nice but the only chrome l like on a bike is the front fork tubes. 

This is more desirable IMO.

0da8c4c2aed7821bc160c03969de4a72.jpg.bcfcb1c79bb6e6b7eaf3c36bb630c48f.jpg

1 hour ago, kaorop said:

I love this pic,  I dont get brand or style snobs.

There were a couple of other types of bikes on this ride, V strom etc up to see the fog, near Lomsak. 

Its run what you brung IMW.

11987159_1057206787644650_9078555468233586877_n.jpg

That's what bike-meets are all about.

There many good places to ride in north Phetchabun.

Must be the coldest place in Thailand l've been to.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Khao Kor is a bikers favorite.

Every holiday season you see large groups heading that way camping.

You won't get me in that area again on a bike unless it's summer season. :biggrin:

Edited by Kwasaki

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Thought you were a V8 enthusiast how this Moto-Guzzi built in 1955.

450px-V8_27.jpg.c0f7764b711b5d27a64432b9afd41e4c.jpg 

I posted a vid about that bike here that l never knew existed.......:stoner:

Yes but my V8 stuff is 4 wheels though as a fun hobby.....:smile:

1 minute ago, transam said:

I posted a vid about that bike here that l never knew existed.......:stoner:

Yes but my V8 stuff is 4 wheels though as a fun hobby.....:smile:

This a do ya then 1000 bhp supercharged V8.  :laugh:

56598.jpg.55e3435277012c989ca89d2b57920841.jpg

I spent a number of years in Japan, and being a fan of big singles ended up buying a SRX 617.

First time out for a Sunday ride around Fuji San, we meet at the motorway services along with half the bikers in Tokyo ( well a few hundred at least )

I am early and have a cup of coffee while I await my colleagues. Half an hour later we have all assembled and opt to get going.

Now 617cc with no electric boot, means that it is a bit of a b***h to start.

I think I have got the hang of it, leave it on the side-stand, just past TDC and use all my weight to get it going.........not..... she kicks back, and I go over the handlebars in a crumpled mess.

Red faced I am sure, good job I have a full face on, however the 10 or so Japanese who were in front of me now become very excited and there is now a crowd of thirty or forty showing great interest at the stupid Gaijin waiting his second attempt.

Thank goodness it started on the second attempt, ....much to the disgust of those bikers who were wishing for a repeat performance.....