Attitude of Shop Owners in Pattaya

Daveyh

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mainly shop in malls so do not notice much of this. Very common in all shops that the girls are busy on their phones and the guys busy chatting or watching TV. The small shops, yes, often it feels like you are interrupting their phone time. So I don't shop at those places. Problem solved. Plenty of good shops with good sales staff to go to.

Bigger shops, rarely had attitude problems. Usually the worst it gets is if you ask if they have something they say no have, instead of I don't know. So I just find it myself. Usually they try to help if they can, but give up easily if they have no English (which is fair as they can't explain much)

I don't bargain unless it's a street vendor or the like. But I usually have my TGF with me so often get the Thai price.

Overall, a million times better here than the attitude I get in France.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes things quickly change when you move outside the tourist area's. Also speaking Thai really helps I also often get a discount without asking. To be honest I hate haggling bout stuff. I life bit outside BKK so not really in the country side but there are not many tourists here. So that really helps because getting tourist sick is normal for people working there. When I go to tourist area's im always surprised at how rude some tourists are. 

And rudeness is such a violation in a non-confrontational society... it seems that many people come here and barely acknowledge that they are in another culture. When I read TVF I often feel it does not reflect the Thailand that I live in and enjoy every day. I don't often get into tourist areas. But it is not just me - the few other farang in the area here seem to get along just fine... 

As you, I don't really like to haggle and I find almost always, people give me the correct price. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Now he's going to stop posting due to the rude, aggressive and intimidating nature of those rational perspectives.

Typical remark from someone who's has'nt a clue what is happening around him. Take a long hard look how we are viewed & treated here. You must walk around with your head in the clouds ..... or buried in the sand. 

59 minutes ago, sgracer said:

Pattaya must have the worst customer service attitudes in the world.

just asking a question will have those retail girls spitting venom

Truly disgusting.

Yup, ....... think some members think I'm imagining this!

49 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

And rudeness is such a violation in a non-confrontational society... it seems that many people come here and barely acknowledge that they are in another culture. When I read TVF I often feel it does not reflect the Thailand that I live in and enjoy every day. I don't often get into tourist areas. But it is not just me - the few other farang in the area here seem to get along just fine... 

As you, I don't really like to haggle and I find almost always, people give me the correct price. 

See my OP ...... it's all about the attitude of locals in Pattaya .... not in the provinces.

. The O.P. and the ones  complain like him, better  should  look in the mirror, before blaming Thai staff. Because I think they have en attitude problem. I witnessed their behavior many times,  and their arrogance  is shocking. In my 40 years of Thailand experience an living here for almost 10 years and traveled in  40 Changwats  I always treated with respect and courtesy by  Thai salespeople and shop-owners.

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

So you agree there are pockets of aggression locally ..... got nothing to do with "cheap charlie's" either. Been here since 1964 on & off, ex military & contract soldier .... 35yrs. Think I know what goes on around here. Don't think there is anything I've seen to be fearful of in my lifetime ...   just know how to keep out of trouble & being respectful ...... trouble is easily found here by pressing the wrong button! No assistance available by the BiB if you are a farang ..... keeping a low profile works for me.

I always prepare for a shopping expedition by using discrete camouflaged clothing with sufficient secret compartments and pockets to carry an arsenal of weaponry.

I was once overcharged for 5 satsumas at Big C and, luckily for her, the theiving, farang-hating harridan responsible acknowledged her heinous crime and put a new price sticker on my plastic bag. Had she not done so, I would not have been reponsible for my actions. I would have likely executed her at point blank range with my pistol and then machine gunned all the fruit and veg on display. These people need to know who is the boss.

i enter a souvenoir shop in beach road pattaya,  bitch follows me around like a pain in the ass for 5 minutes with her angry ugly face tripping her ,   i tell her 2 times allready i am " just looking "  .

bitch shouts at me " look for what "  

i smile :)

yes , some very very nasty ignorant thai market traders and shop owners ,  they make you feel like you need to buy if you enter.  

theyre attitude stinks 

I lost count of the number of times in Thailand I was told not to return to a shop when I didnt buy something. of course I never did. also watching them curse at people behind their backs if they left without buying.  moved to cambodia and its like returning to the west, just normal politeness. takes a while to get used to it after Thailand. not sure whats wrong with the Thias but something for sure

My Thai partner barters at a lot of places.  Usually it's a friendly exchange and the shop owner doesn't resent the bartering and expects it.  If a shop owner is unfriendly my partner will just walk on and not do business with that shop--plenty of others to give our money to.  Surprisingly, you can barter even at places like Big C and Power Buy for things like electronics and appliances--at least you can if you are Thai.  We buy a lot of TVs, refrigerators, washers, etc.,  and my partner is sometimes able to get a price reduction from the posted price, even on sale items.

The shops in tourist areas are meant for tourists and not people living here. Since you're a foreigner you will always be looked upon as a tourist in their eyes. That's why you should only order what you need online , on Lazada or other sites. And save money !

5 hours ago, JSixpack said:

This nonsense undermines your OP and confirms the "problem" stems from your own bias & attitude, not the shop assistants. Nothing said here is going to change that--once a victim, always a victim--but dotpoom, robblock, Ulysses G, kenk24, Ermster23, and NanLaew have given you rational perspectives.

Nonsense, most of those are your fellow Thai apologists, that always blame the farang.

15 minutes ago, brling said:

Nonsense, most of those are your fellow Thai apologists, that always blame the farang.

At last! The Thai apologist dummy spit. What took you so long?

The OP is probably in his mid-to-late 70's, ex- military, a "been there done that" kinda guy with loads of t-shirts and reckons that the customer service in the Pattaya tourist trap markets is dire. He is absofrigginlutely correct. Ten out of ten for observation, not bad for an old(er) codger at all.

Now, with all that worldliness, a "no-fear" attitude and shelves probably full of t-shirts, why is he still shopping in such places?

PS. Try and go with the flow, accept that there's bugger all you or any 'round-eye' can do to change the nature of things here and you'll see that the path of what you call the Thai Apologist is a surprisingly stress free one. Certainly works wonders on the blood pressure.

Oh yes... and get out more.

i enter a souvenoir shop in beach road pattaya,  bitch follows me around like a pain in the ass for 5 minutes with her angry ugly face tripping her ,   i tell her 2 times allready i am " just looking "  .
bitch shouts at me " look for what "  
i smile :)

yes , some very very nasty ignorant thai market traders and shop owners ,  they make you feel like you need to buy if you enter.  
theyre attitude stinks 

So when you you're looking for the meaning of life they are not amused?

But I know EXACTLY how we are viewed and treated here, especially in Pattaya. I have been around the block a bit as well you see but I guess I saw (still see) things from a totally different perspective? You may be deeply disappointed to learn that it is NOT the Thai perspective either. Maybe it's your military thing, all that enforced, armed subjugation and the like so not really your fault. But it is Thailand, the land of the Thai people and as their national anthem says (first two lines) :-

"Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood.

Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais."

So now that we have mutually asserted our bona fides to pass judgement on our hosts, can you tell us which Pattaya shops in particular have you worried for your safety? No need to be specific. It could be, "the big shoe shop on third" or "the small supermarket at the corner of klang and second" or "the pharmacy across the street from Lek Hotel". See? Easy to identify the places so we can opine if they are habitually rude and aggressive and to be avoided. Lord Buddha knows there's enough of us long-term residents, apologists and otherwise, that can assist with your problem.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, Jingthing said:

Nope.

AVOIDANCE is the key to "happiness" here:

http://www.lazada.co.th/

An overly long thread. Much a do about nothing.
The advice given on just the second post nailed it.
Avoidance !!

Vote with your feet. Vote with your wallet.
The locals don't like that.:smile:

On 20/07/2017 at 9:59 AM, dotpoom said:

I ask the owner "cowlie krap"  ( how much please)....when they give me an answer .....I look directly at them and with the straightest face I can muster up I ask them ......"and how much after discount?"......as if we all know her answer was just the opening shot.

thao rai khrap

Maybe she's laughing as she thinks your saying the lying cow has a crap.

On 20/07/2017 at 7:04 AM, Jessi said:

Same as the OP. Im fed up with their B/S... buying more on LAZADA these days.

Agreed.... although I add a take it or leave it attitude should be met with leave it!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:18 PM, Daveyh said:

Typical remark from someone who's has'nt a clue what is happening around him. Take a long hard look how we are viewed & treated here. You must walk around with your head in the clouds ..... or buried in the sand. 

No, typical remarks from someone who knows, and has adapted successfully to, what is happening around him. Your own behavior and attitude go far to determine how you are treated here. You must walk around w/ your head up your :blush:. Reminds me of a haughty poster a year or so ago who suggested he wouldn't bow his head to avoid overhanging signs because they shouldn't be there, as they aren't in the UK. So if you see a smug-looking guy regularly walking on Beach Rd. w/ a bloodied forehead, congratulating himself on his high standards, that's him. 

So you may wisely continue to hate shopping here, being regarded as a nuisance, engaging in confrontations, hearing loud voices to offend your delicate hearing, being intimidated and embarrassed, misapplying "loss of face," and blaming Thais--just being SO unhappy while paying more for the privilege. :violin:

Meanwhile we clueless will continue to enjoy mostly pleasant interactions, smiles and a bit of joking around with Thai staff, and price discounts.

Oh. This is nonsense too:

No assistance available by the BiB if you are a farang

I agree, some posters are complaining a lot and want to compare Thailand with their own country , you can't compare , and Pattaya is unique in its own way .

You will find arxxholes everywhere, I just avoid them instead of complaining on TV. 

I agree, some posters are complaining a lot and want to compare Thailand with their own country , you can't compare , and Pattaya is unique in its own way .
You will find arxxholes everywhere, I just avoid them instead of complaining on TV. 

Yes. Must learn avoidance and filtering tactics. Useful in any land!

Is there no end to what people will complain about here. 

I need something from the shop- i walk to the appropriate shop, walk inside, greet people inside if opportunity is there, approach goods, seek what i require, find what i require, take to till, place on till, take money from pocket, pay for good, say thank you and walk out. Its really not difficult- i have no idea how people can have a problem with going into a shop.

If the person in the shop is in a bad mood or doesn't say hello, i quite frankly could not give two hoots. 

I dread to think of the type of life people have that this is becoming a big issue for them. 

Archived