Customs crackdown at Suvarnabhumi?

Dipterocarp

With EPA in tow delayed and made to pay import duty and VAT on a "new" item today. Very surprised as over the years I have filled a whole condo with stuff carried in

accompanied hold baggage. Had bag/boxes x-rayed before but nothing ever said. Just last month even I brought in a very expensive rice cooker from Japan for a friend.

Will think twice before doing it again. Appears customs is tightening the screws.

Edited by Dipterocarp

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EPA is Elite personal assistant, porter pushing the cart. Approx $150 Electronics item they said attracts 10 percent import duty plus 7 percent VAT. (I thought there was a personal allowance allowed). Nope! Felt like being fleeced first thing off the airplane. Welcome to Thailand!

Edited by Dipterocarp

5 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

EPA is Elite personal assistant, porter pushing the cart. Approx $150 Electronics item they said attracts 10 percent import duty plus 7 percent VAT. (I thought there was a personal allowance allowed). Nope! Felt like being fleeced first thing off the airplane. Welcome to Thailand!

Did you arrive with a tourist visa? Visa Exempt? Visa on Arrival? Full/part-time resident in Thailand?

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Which farang would bring goods into Thailand?

It's rather people who leave that have their suitcases full with shopping?

Or am I missing a point?

Electronic items in particular are far cheaper (30-50%) if bought overseas than the same item bought in Thailand...plus, selection of certain items (choice of models, etc.) is often quite limited in Thailand.  When I lived there, I bought all my electronics (save large, heavy items like printers) in the US and brought them back with me in my luggage.  I do the same for my girlfriend now.  However, the items are always unwrapped, etc., so as to look as "not new" as possible.

I hold a PE visa "Thailand Elite".

There were some Asian men in the checking area waiting but they had

large quantities of stuff that would appear to be commercial goods to me

(Such as an Indian guy with a huge cart of identical wrapped parcels).

Edited by Dipterocarp

I still don't understand, however, what the OP means by "elite personal assistant, porter pushing the cart"...does that mean he had someone hired to push his cart with his baggage on it for him?  Someone who meets you at the baggage claim area or something?  Sounds bizarre, and possibly the "tip-off" that customs needed to single him out.

In my experience, it's the people--usually Asian or Middle Eastern in appearance---with very large amounts of luggage who get summoned for x-ray/inspection at customs.  I always have one modest-sized checked bag and one carry-on, and I've only been selected for X-ray once in 18 years (multiple trips each year) of landing in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Chou Anou said:

Electronic items in particular are far cheaper (30-50%)

And not only that.

About all food stuff, cosmetics/perfume etc. etc. is either much more expensive in Thailand or simply not available.

It seems the poster thought about typical tourist only and not people/friends living in Thailand?

4 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

(Such as an Indian guy with a huge cart of identical wrapped parcels).

Maybe cloth/fabric for his tailor business?

Thais of Indian origin almost have a monopoly on this.

And strong in bicycle trade (from my observation).

It sounds a bit like the op has been happily smuggling 'high-end' items into the country for years, and is fed up at finally being pulled on it.  Happily he has seen the error of his ways and will "think twice before doing it again."  Score for HM Customs?

There's supposed to be a 10,000 baht exemption on customs duty -- in other words, you're not supposed to be taxed on items that in total are valued under 10,000 baht.

They were talking about increasing that exemption to a higher amount, 20,000 baht I think, but I'm not clear if they ever actually did.

Customs Department to increase duty treshhold for tourists

Bangkok:- The Customs Department is planning to grant the import-duty exemption for a higher value of products that people have brought into Thailand for personal use or souvenirs.

At present, arriving passengers must pay import duty if their products are worth over Bt10,000. Tax rate is 30 per cent. This threshold has often provoked outcry, with tourists complaining that items for their own use or souvenirs for just family members can easily go past that amount in current economic conditions.

The other day, a woman was dismayed when customers officials at the Suvanabhumi Airport told her to pay Bt37,000 in tax for a luxury bag she bought for herself during a trip to Japan.

“We will increase the threshold taking into account what are being used in other ASEAN nations,” the department’s deputy director general Paisal Chuenjit says. He has not revealed the planned amount yet.

He, however, explains that while the new plan has not yet taken effect, everyone must strictly comply with current law governing imported items.

Paisal says customs officials have now particularly checked Thai tourists coming back from Japan, South Korea and Europe. Records show such groups of tourists have usually returned with new products worth over Bt10,000 but failed to make declarations.

“And we have found that many of them have bought these products for commercial purpose. They have advertised those products online,” he says.

According to Paisal, the Customs Department will soon accept credit-card/debt-card payment for import duty so as to give convenience for people who do not carry cash with them.

tvn.png
-- 2015-02-23

In my experience, with many years of in and out travel, I don't think I've ever been stopped for customs screening. But I usually arrive late at night Thai time, and always just am carrying two standard carry-on suitcases per person.

No porters or luggage assistants.... :smile:

Just a few weeks ago a Thai hiso BKK elite posted pics of her holiday purchases . Then claimed they were just empty boxes when she was called out for avoiding tax. She got away with it but no chance for a farang trying that.

Some will recall the dreadful carry-on in customers when bringing in /taking out PCs ....deposits required under threat of fines if the items remained in Thailand. A complete pain in the arse that went on for a couple of years.

just came thru airport customs today at 1830hrs and nothing out of the ordinary....

if yer pushing a trolley piled high with goods in new undisturbed packaging ye gotta reckon that you'll get stopped and investigated...

'what's that, mr tutsi?' 'it's me voddy, duty free and legal and if ye don't let me get home and make a drink right now I'm gonna be very annoyed...'

36 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

In other words, the tourist arriving for a holiday, say with Visa Exempt and who has a notebook, a camera and a smartphone can be harassed also by customs?

In theory, but I don't think it happens often.

Well I got 2 things from this

Am I correct in saying that if the OP had an Elite Personal Assistance, he has an Elite Visa ?

So he knew the drill after decking his Condo out & is now complaining over $30, but paid a fortune on the Elite Visa if that's correct

* Know this one is just magic - After reading the many dramas people are having with the 20'000 upon entry, Customs has popped up with the idea of being able to pay for Duty with a credit card for convenience ( Amazing Thailand )

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well I got 2 things from this

Am I correct in saying that if the OP had an Elite Personal Assistance, he has an Elite Visa ?

So he knew the drill after decking his Condo out & is now complaining over $30, but paid a fortune on the Elite Visa if that's correct

* Know this one is just magic - After reading the many dramas people are having with the 20'000 upon entry, Customs has popped up with the idea of being able to pay for Duty with a credit card for convenience ( Amazing Thailand )

No - I think it's a service available you pay for at the airport someone acts as porter and guides you through to a shorter queue so you don't have to wait with the peons.....Think it costs 150-200฿...

I just came back with a bunch of new stuff.  As mentioned above, many items are either very expensive here or just not available.  We had 2 suitcases full of stuff...and the suitcase was brand new.  No problems at all, didn't even have to x-ray.  Though we normally do.

We always throw away the packaging, take off tags, and pack the stuff like it's been used.  We never ever bring items here in their original packaging.  Never.

27 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I just came back with a bunch of new stuff.  As mentioned above, many items are either very expensive here or just not available.  We had 2 suitcases full of stuff...and the suitcase was brand new.  No problems at all, didn't even have to x-ray.  Though we normally do.

That is a yearly event for me also, and I did it last month. I fly out with two empty cases and fly back a week later with them full to the brim. Things are so expensive here, and so little choice.

I've never been stopped at customs here.

28 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

We always throw away the packaging, take off tags, and pack the stuff like it's been used.  We never ever bring items here in their original packaging.  Never.

+1

Seems like common sense really. I always get the impression that customs are mostly concerned about new unopened items.

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

No - I think it's a service available you pay for at the airport someone acts as porter and guides you through to a shorter queue so you don't have to wait with the peons.....Think it costs 150-200฿...

11 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

I hold a PE visa "Thailand Elite".

12 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Electronic items in particular are far cheaper (30-50%) if bought overseas than the same item bought in Thailand...plus, selection of certain items (choice of models, etc.) is often quite limited in Thailand.  When I lived there, I bought all my electronics (save large, heavy items like printers) in the US and brought them back with me in my luggage.  I do the same for my girlfriend now.  However, the items are always unwrapped, etc., so as to look as "not new" as possible.

you bring your girlfriend in your luggage :) 

12 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Great finaly the did a good job and now after many years complaining about this what a joke.