webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, baboon said:

So you took advantage of free schools, health & dental, at a time when the mines, shipyards, etc were open, then left the country to avoid paying your fair share back, then?

Of course I am going a little overboard there I'm sure, but it is hardly on to complain about today's youngsters who have few of the advantages you did. And implying it is easy to stay on the dole indefinitely and get council housing is still nonsense.

I always enjoy reading the lectures from guys whose careers spanned a time of full employment, lifelong careers with one company, constantly increasing wages, defined benefit pensions, and affordable housing.  All they had to do to insure a funded retirement was to drag their butts into the worksite day after day.  Protected by unions and guilds from being fired even if they showed up and smoked the whole day away.

Many kids nowadays can look forward to job after crappy job as they become redundant again and again as a result of globalization, real wages that haven't increased in years, housing that they can't afford and their retirement accounts being looted about every decade or so.  Lazy lot that they are...

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I always enjoy reading the lectures from guys whose careers spanned a time of full employment, lifelong careers with one company, constantly increasing wages, defined benefit pensions, and affordable housing.  All they had to do to insure a funded retirement was to drag their butts into the worksite day after day.  Protected by unions and guilds from being fired even if they showed up and smoked the whole day away.

Many kids nowadays can look forward to job after crappy job as they become redundant again and again as a result of globalization, real wages that haven't increased in years, housing that they can't afford and their retirement accounts being looted about every decade or so.  Lazy lot that they are...

That's pretty funny. I've been on a "zero hours" contract  ( the current buzz word ) for the last 30 yrs. No union. No pay agreement. No fixed payrise. No employer pension scheme. No redundancy money and zero job security. I've been through four downturns and survived each time. I get "sacked" at the end of  every contract and have no guarantee of continued work. But somehow I have managed to make myself employable and in demand. I don't need your unionisation or pension scheme thanks. My work ethic and reputation speaks for itself. Unlike the lazy backstabbing second raters coniving their way through life wasting public money, attending meetings and covering their arse in "public" service I have to work and produce something. Or I don't get another job. 

Likewise I had to save and manage my own finances not sit back and await a big payout and an index linked gold plated pension funded by the sweat of others.

My heart bleeds for the poor disadvantaged kids of today. Do you really think it was any easier to buy a house in the 50's or 60's ? Back then you had to go cap in hand to the bank manager and plead your case. No easy mortgage, no instant credit back then. The average working class man could barely afford a car let alone a house. Now they drive the latest hot hatch, watch cable TV, chat on their mobile and enjoy foreign travel. 

Hmm, what's behind these increases ..... Racially motivated attacks rose by nearly 50% after Brexit, I.e. immigrants were victims. In London, attacks have risen by 200%. And yes, less police is a problem. My old house was only 100 metres from the local police station, since it closed the house has been burgled twice.

I would also agree that the squeeze on benefits has turned some to crime. You get sanctioned and loose your benefits for many things, or sometimes just because the JSA people didn't fill in a form correctly. You also cannot claim for 3 months if you have been abroad. My son knows all about these, as all have been used against him. If his mother wasn't still around, he would have been on the streets with no home and no food. 'Get a job' is not an answer - locally he is 'over qualified' as a university graduate so never makes it even to interview. He has just started an office job - promised him 10 GBP an hour, but not in writing - so actually got minimum wage. 15000 GBP a year after tax and NI wouldn't even pay his rent if he moved to London. Easy to see why some jobless will turn to crime -at least in prison they feed you.

Also, of course, he will never pay off his student loan on such work. He now realises that the last 7 years have been an utter waste of his time - it may pay off, eventually, but half his friends are also in the same boat. Disillusioned people with no future soon see the law as an obstruction to advancement.

7 hours ago, rickudon said:

Hmm, what's behind these increases ..... Racially motivated attacks rose by nearly 50% after Brexit, I.e. immigrants were victims. In London, attacks have risen by 200%. And yes, less police is a problem. My old house was only 100 metres from the local police station, since it closed the house has been burgled twice.

I would also agree that the squeeze on benefits has turned some to crime. You get sanctioned and loose your benefits for many things, or sometimes just because the JSA people didn't fill in a form correctly. You also cannot claim for 3 months if you have been abroad. My son knows all about these, as all have been used against him. If his mother wasn't still around, he would have been on the streets with no home and no food. 'Get a job' is not an answer - locally he is 'over qualified' as a university graduate so never makes it even to interview. He has just started an office job - promised him 10 GBP an hour, but not in writing - so actually got minimum wage. 15000 GBP a year after tax and NI wouldn't even pay his rent if he moved to London. Easy to see why some jobless will turn to crime -at least in prison they feed you.

Also, of course, he will never pay off his student loan on such work. He now realises that the last 7 years have been an utter waste of his time - it may pay off, eventually, but half his friends are also in the same boat. Disillusioned people with no future soon see the law as an obstruction to advancement.

Percent, was this a 50% increase on 10, or on 1,000.

There have also been instances of Immigrants attacking British people. What %, of what number,  I have no idea. 

The stats below may be of interest regards crimes rates in England and Wales

The police recorded nearly 5 million offences in the year ending March 2017, which represented an annual rise of 10%; this increase is likely to reflect a range of factors, which vary by crime type, including continuing improvements to recording processes and practices, expanded offence coverage and also genuine increases in some crime types.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmar2017

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

The stats below may be of interest regards crimes rates in England and Wales

The police recorded nearly 5 million offences in the year ending March 2017, which represented an annual rise of 10%; this increase is likely to reflect a range of factors, which vary by crime type, including continuing improvements to recording processes and practices, expanded offence coverage and also genuine increases in some crime types.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmar2017

I'm not claiming it's happening here, but sometimes an increasing crime rate is the result of more inclusive reporting by police departments who want more funding.  And decreasing crime rates are the result of less inclusive reporting by police departments who have to justify their big budget increase.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, jinners said:

Looks fairly out of date though considering the recent surge in immigration.

Can't you use search functionality? Later stats are available e.g.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/announcements/race-and-the-criminal-justice-system-statistics-2017

Edited by simple1