Packs of dogs damaging tourism in Ao Lak - but they only bite western visitors

webfact

Hey, so far this is my kind of crowd!  Personally, for convenience I am a rock thrower or stick wacker.  Occasionally I will delivery solid kick to the head of miscreant fides

I don't have a pack on my soi at my current POS, but at another place there was a pack of domestic dashounds the owner would release

I found a Whamo slingshot effective and later upgraded to  Crossman BB pistol. 

I hope that every soi dog feeding 'compassionate' ,misguided expat who stops to feed poochie and give it 'love' gets a bite on the butt.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, imagemaestro said:

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

I have been the target of a farang hating dog. I was bitten from behind when walking through a market area in the Aranya Pretet region and had to get rabies shots. They are a major menace.

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

and if you feed they breed well done for adding to the problem

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

So you feed them because you fear them in other words you love them! but don't expect everyone should do the same.

Soi dogs should be taken of the streets.

There is nothing strange about dogs being selective on color or even on being man, woman or child

Can be natural or by a trauma the animal has or by training done by human.

Even some humans seem to judge by color or sex of other human.

"I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting)."

I guess we just need to cover our body by clay. Just like Predator movie. We will be safe. ?

Edited by Foozool

2 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

That you did not get bitten is irrelevant. They didn't bite me either.

But they do bite people / esp falangs / tourists. 

Round up all dogs on the street after 10pm. Send them to the Soi Dog foundation. 

Loud barking and growling will sometimes put them off but a slingshot with rocks also does the trick.

Yes I often bark back at the mangy mongrels ,it dosent really seem to phase them much but the watching
"not my dog" owners seem to find it highly amusing.

Just now, NCC1701A said:

Lucky you. Your time may well come. When or if it does, clean the wound with medical alcohol, then Betadine or any antiseptic solution and get yourself to hospital straight away or within a day or two for the course of jabs which continue for 1 month. Can't remember but somewhere around 14 jabs all up. Majority on day one. Then 3 days later, 4 days after that, 7 days after that and finally 2 weeks after that. Remember dogs are animals and most soi dogs are wild animals. 

My friend is a life long dog owner, trainer, and lover of animals. He was cornered and bitten badly even though he was trying everything to befriend the pack when they circled him and became aggressive on a paved pedestrian walkway in Pattaya.  If it weren't for a few shop owners who came running with sticks and brooms to beat the dogs off my friend could have received much worse than he did.  The Thai shop owners said to him that the problem was getting worse and worse and these dogs needed to be removed.  

He ended up with with a hefty hospital bill and a "dampened"  vacation due to massive infection and battling of rabies.  These packs need to disappear before they kill a bunch of children.  Semi-automatic 22 cal pistol with silencer + large box of ammo = problem solved.

Edited by waders123

When I moved into my area, at first either stray or owned dogs roaming loose would make a charge at me while on my motorbike. On occasions some still do but most have got to recognise me around the area and no longer give me a second glance.

Law number 377 allows for a year in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht for dog owners who allow their animals out to attack people. In addition owners are liable for the medical bills. - Interesting. I wonder how many so-called dog owners have actually been arrested and charged under this act? None I guess as I doubt this law is ever enforced unless someone is seriously injured or killed by a dog or pack of dogs.

20 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Marauding packs of xenophobic dogs; what can be done? They won't tell us who their leader is.

Law number 377, if you can find the owner of the mangy rabies infested or sick mangy dog and get paid for expenses incurred for medical, then good luck.

I never heard of 377 b4.

But even if I managed to find a dog owner it would be my fault for being farang and walking near the dog, or the pack of dogs.

Packs of dogs are everywhere, around the Dragon market in Hua Hin where my wife who is Thai was mistaken by a mangy dog as a farang.and bitten.

(some of these doge are so mangy they are dragging their bums around on the grounds of the market because of itch, very sick and very hygienic)

At Hua Hin hospital there was about 6 other people getting treated for dog bites when we went there, only one was a farang!!!

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong

I'm a dog lover and have been around all sorts of dogs in all sorts of situations and have little fear of them but do respect the danger of pack mentality. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand in tourist type areas and places not many farang ever come. All the dogs are fine though many are timid. Only once on Koh Samui I was out late with nobody in sight and a pack turned on me. I had little choice as I don't run so well these days but to make myself as big as I could and I screamed at them as I charged at them for a couple of meters. Thank <deleted> they stopped advancing and followed at a distance for 30 or so meters before they got bored and <deleted> off back to their patch. One and only time anything anywhere like this has ever happened

Not to worry my western big breed dogs only attack inbred soi dogs and thais.... 

Just doing my part to even things out.

Soi dogs attack foreigners because the dogs are shoowed or yelled at. The dogs like the thais take this as a threat. Too much self entitlement. So much self worth but not worthy at all.

Sorry to say Thailand that you need to get rid of the diseased soi dogs. Its embarassing for tthailand. There just stupid inbred dogs that serve no purpose and do nothing but mimic thais true nature which isnt good for tourism.

17 hours ago, hullmonkee said:

Seconded!!

I have walked out of the house to throw stale bread into the village pond and had a pack of 4 or 5 dogs charge me, barking and growling. This is on a gated community, not up north in no mans land. I certainly didn't show fear or aggression to provoke the attack as I didn't see them coming until they were approx. 10m away. I pretended to pick up a stone (none around really) and pulled my arm back as if to throw it. The dogs immediately backed off but it gave me a bit of a scare. Next trip into town I bought a black widow type catapult on beach road and have used it on the dogs since. Now they see me coming and run off immediately. From my point of view only an idiot would feed and encourage the presence of a pack of disease ridden vermin.

correct .... kids and elderly should be allowed and able to walk around in a safe environment without the possibility of being attacked.

Kill all soi dogs ....    they are pests and carry diseases of all sorts.

18 hours ago, imagemaestro said:

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

And rocks, big rocks, plenty of them.  That will send them scattering.

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

When I moved into my area, at first either stray or owned dogs roaming loose would make a charge at me while on my motorbike. On occasions some still do but most have got to recognise me around the area and no longer give me a second glance.

Law number 377 allows for a year in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht for dog owners who allow their animals out to attack people. In addition owners are liable for the medical bills. - Interesting. I wonder how many so-called dog owners have actually been arrested and charged under this act? None I guess as I doubt this law is ever enforced unless someone is seriously injured or killed by a dog or pack of dogs.

Are there many laws in Thailand that are correctly enforced???