Chinese tourist injured when Phuket taxis collide at Darasamut Intersection

webfact

Chinese tourist injured when Phuket taxis collide at Darasamut Intersection

Eakkapop Thongtub

1500607873_1-org.jpg

The driver of the Toyota Corolla Altis, which was carrying the Chinese tourist, was travelling at high speed, police said. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A female Chinese tourist on her way to Phuket International Airport was left with chest and abdominal injuries last night when the taxi she was travelling in collided with another taxi and crashed into a road sign at the Darasamut Intersection.

Lt Patcharee Wongboon of the Wichit Police was notified of an accident at the Darasamut Intersection at 11pm yesterday (July 20) and arrived at the scene together with Kusoldharm rescued workers to find a silver bronze Toyota Corolla Altis green-plate (commercial passenger vehicle) taxi crashed into a road sign positioned on the corner of the central reservation.

Nearby was a black Nissan Cefiro green-plate taxi.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-injured-when-phuket-taxis-collide-at-darasamut-intersection-63126.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-21

12 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

With chest and abdominal injuries you can be pretty sure she wasn't wearing a seat belt !

The injuries where not serious and she did not want to go to the hospital so

my thought is she was wearing a seatbelt. The injuries were probably just

bruising from the belt.

57 minutes ago, Ulic said:

The injuries where not serious and she did not want to go to the hospital so

my thought is she was wearing a seatbelt. The injuries were probably just

bruising from the belt.

My informed thought is that rapid  de-acceleration (high speed crash) whilst wearing a seat belt can result in severe injury.

http://www.ajronline.org/doi/abs/10.2214/ajr.111.4.833

The lady with "just bruising" would have been wise to have sought medical advise. 

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Actually, chest and abdominal injuries are commonly caused by seat belts - still much better than the alternative.

yea, where does a seat belt go? across your chest and abdomen, so could cause injury to those areas, not that i'm an expert

They have closed the 3 lane tunnel for a few nights while they make it safer by installing barriers to separate the traffic. (Something several of us here suggested some time ago!)

I guess this moron thought he would still have a straight through run when diverted up the slip road to the traffic lights.

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Was a 3 lane vs 4 lane tunnel just a bad decision? Now with a lane divider between opposing traffic it losing even more effectiveness to reduce traffic jams.

Is the Chalong tunnel going to be 3 lanes?

It will become 2 lanes. It was a very bad decision to make it 3 lanes without separation of the opposing traffic streams. The centre lane has been closed for a month or so and the traffic flow seems unaffected. The jams start at the next intersection to the south. which could be easily fixed with widening and dedicated turning lanes, if the money flows.

I believe the Chalong tunnel will be 2 lanes only. Hopefully with a barrier!

31 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Instead of closing off one lane, why not have a divider and two lanes one direction and one lane the other direction?

Far too sensible. This way there will always be the fool trying to squeeze past a slower moving vehicle.

South bound should have the 2 lanes as north bound traffic flow is chopped up by the nearby multiple traffic light