BBCIPlayer

thaiflyer1

Anyone having trouble accessing the BBC  Through IPlayer and a Vpn?

Was working fine yesterday.................today getting "sorry currently program unavailable"when i try to play anything.........................i/m signed in to IPlayer and my location shows as London in Iplayer settings

Also just updated Iplayer..............(wasnt working earlier today before the update)

Running through an android box....................location Pattaya

thanks

Edit..............ITV Hub working fine

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did I try with PureVPN.

At first attempt iPlayer detected "not in UK" (!)

I changed configuration of the VPN to another UK city/protocol.

Tried again and was stopped to "sign in" or "register".

I then registered with some made up data but fought to find some valid postcode :biggrin:

Finally got it and now watching:

iplayer.jpg

Just now, KittenKong said:

The BBC seem to have blacklisted some VPN nodes as of today. Mine is broken also. Hopefully the VPN provider will fix it fairly quickly.

Matches my first attempt.

A cat and mouse game.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Tried again and was stopped to "sign in" or "register".

I then registered with some made up data but fought to find some valid postcode

The BBC has been indicating for some time that registration would soon be required but I think that it is a separate issue. That said, I cant imagine that they will introduce compulsory registration for all valid users overnight as their servers would never cope with the rush of registrations. So maybe they are targetting just some users/IP address ranges as a registration test?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The BBC has been indicating for some time that registration would soon be required but I think that it is a separate issue. That said, I cant imagine that they will introduce compulsory registration for all valid users overnight as their servers would never cope with the rush of registrations. So maybe they are targetting just some users/IP address ranges as a registration test?

Looks like you are right.

Maybe  I just overlooked the "do it later" button.

I just repeated the sequence with a clean/incognito Chrome browser and could "do it later".

Reply to my ticket below..................it doesnt look very hopeful.........

Unfortunately, Netflix, Hulu, BBC and other streaming services have implemented algorithms that actively detect and block VPN traffic as a result of the pressure on them by content producers. At this time, there is not much we can do to help except let you know that we are always adding new IPs to our servers so that users are less likely to get connected to the blocked IPs.

If you'd like to try, you can disconnect from your current location, wait a minute and reconnect to the same or different server. In most cases, this should give you a different IP than last time and the new IP could work with the video streaming site. There is no guarantee this will work but until we can figure out a better solution to getting around these VPN blocks, there isn't much else we can offer to help.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yup, the BBC are getting smart.

Or stupid. It's a mystery to me why they go to so much trouble. All they are required to do is not supply their content to IP addresses outside the UK pool, not to check individual addresses.

It is particularly stupid in that all their content is available without verification across much of Europe to anyone with a satellite dish and receiver.

54 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

15 different configurations for PureVPN UK, just found one that works (and just another one).

But what will be tomorrow?

After your earlier success i paid for a month with Purevpn..............needless to say its not working now.......i can get a program started but it freezes after a minute or so with the "sorry content unavailable message"...............:coffee1:

Edit...........just had a reply from Purevpn re problem.............they suggest the following

Purevpn (PureVPN)

Jul 22, 05:42 UTC

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, 

Please accept my sincere and unreserved apology for this inconvenience.

Kindly try the following steps:
https://support.purevpn.com/l2tp-configuration-guide-for-android

use bbctv.pointtoserver.com in the server address field.

Also, clear your browser cache before streaming BBC iPlayer.

I/m going out on the beer soon so wont be able to try anything but maybe of use to someone

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Yep!

Works.

And now don't tell anybody :whistling: and hope it will work for more than a day :biggrin:

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Also, clear your browser cache before streaming BBC iPlayer.

During my tests I simply started with a Chrome incognito window.

From the standard list of PureVPN servers there were only two working practically.

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Sadly didn't work for me :sad:

Support at StrongVPN got back to me in the negative, no solution at present, working on it :sad:

36 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

mikey has stopped developing it…its now part of NAN. one of the better add ons created IMO.

Yes, sorry my mistake. I just checked and my latest update 0.3.7 now says author is catchup4kodi and found on NAN among other repos. In the past mikey would answer support issues on his now defunct xunity.me forum so I guess now support is on NAN forum? The addon is not discussed on NAN forum so far I notice, maybe because it is working well so far?

I got the 'outside the UK' message this morning when I tried to watch the golf on BBC2 catch up. Tried again this afternoon and had to 're-register' but the connection through my VPN worked fine. I find MuchoTV much more reliable - but of course it's  a subscription service out of Spain. Only a few bob each month.

Mind you, with TOT my internet speeds are pretty ordinary. 5.6 mbs through the VPN and 7.1 mbs through Bangkok.  If I went to see them I suspect I would get a shrug of the shoulders. 

Yep - I have three different VPN services available and several different browsers but today, no browser loads the BBC and shows iPlayer as available and if I try to use the iPlayer downloads app, it comes back with "not available" same as you describe!

I use Google Chrome with their Browsec VPN extension along with their Location Guard extension, setting the Location Guard to a fixed location within London.

Occasionally I had found the BBC i player, ITV Hub, etc, etc were still been blocked when using just the Browsec extension (or any of the VPN extensions supplied by Chrome). I've been told this occurs because, occasionally, the BBC i player etc request your location again after you've logged in and/or selected play (not the same as them looking at your IP address). 

But adding the Location Guard Extension has cured the problem and I've not been blocked at all since.

Just now, KittenKong said:

I believe that many of the smaller VPN providers actually use the same ISPs for many of their nodes. So blocking one could have the affect of blocking many.

Yes, Ivacy uses the same nodes as PureVPN (my Ivacy creds work for Pure servers).

What if your internet is provided free ?   For example I live upcountry in a very small group of houses outside a very small village.

When I check the isp it doesn't relate to where I live.

If I use Google Earth it gives my correct location.

Google shows my location as Thailand, when I try to change for example by using Browsec and a new location ( Netherlands ) it still shows up as Thailand.

Any ideas ?

Got my BBCIplayer working again............this applies for purevpn only

I/m running  on a minix 7 android box............heres what i did

Disconnect the uk connection from the purevpn app....i.e your in thailand

Now go into settings on your android box and do the following

• Tap on Settings.
• Tap on More Wireless.
• Tap on VPN.
• Tap on “+” Icon.
• Insert the following Info:
• Insert Name: PureVPN PPTP
• Type: Select PPTP from drop down menu.
• Server Address:78.129.177.126
• Uncheck: PPP encryption (MPPE)
• Tap on Save.
• Tap on PureVPN PPTP.
• Insert the following Info:
• Insert Username and Password provided provided by PureVPN.
• Select “Save account information” and tap on Connect.
• You should be Connected Now!!!

*alternate server address  78.129.177.123

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watched Bargain Hunt all the way thru without a hiccup although the quality seems reduced.............also noticed when i open the purevpn app i am connected from the uk even though i was disconnected at the outset..........

see how long it lasts

I entered the first IP address to my PC version of PureVPN and could successfully start some series episode ("Top of the lake, 1:1).

Live TV also seems to work.

NOW WATCHING

12:00 - 15:15

Now WatchingBreakfast

25/07/2017

The latest news, sp

Clock display is a bit more than a minute behind.

Don't be fooled by the "12:00 - 15:15", obviously converted to local time. But on the screen it is 8'clock something.

I was a bit worried when I read this , but started Astrill VPN on my desktop now and BBC works as normal , both watching live and programs. Also tried the BBC iPlayer download app.   

I have been very happy with Astrill. Not always the highest speed but good enough for UK streams. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

I was a bit worried when I read this , but started Astrill VPN on my desktop now and BBC works as normal , both watching live and programs. Also tried the BBC iPlayer download app.   

I have been very happy with Astrill. Not always the highest speed but good enough for UK streams. 

Just signed up for 7 day free trial..................connectd ok............only on month by month with prurevpn, will see how Astrill goes.....

Archived