New law applicable in Thaksin cases: Wissanu

webfact

New law applicable in Thaksin cases: Wissanu

By The Nation

1de6706a58f05808a2d65feaec6f2d28.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, a noted legal expert, confirmed for the first time on Friday that the new law on court procedures against political office holders in corruption cases could be applied in cases pertaining to fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra that have been on hold.

When asked by reporters whether those suspended cases would proceed under the new law, Wissanu answered yes.

Wissanu explained that ongoing cases would be proceeded under the new law.

The bill, among 10 organic laws required by the new charter, has become highly controversial as it would enable the court to proceed with cases that had been put on hold even in the absence of the defendants.

Its provisional clause suggests that any ongoing cases would proceed as per the new law. In addition, the statute of limitations would not be applicable if the defendant has fled the country.

The bill also addresses cases where a final court ruling has been made before the defendant left the country, but lawmakers are debating whether penalties put on hold because of the defendant’s absence could be retroactive. 

Political observers have criticised the new bill as targeting particular persons.

Meechai Ruchupan, chief law drafter of the bill, said the bill is not retroactive in nature as it involves judicial procedures, not penalties.

He said it would be beneficial to the defendants as they can appeal against the rulings, he added.

It is the third law passed by the NLA last month, and now is in the process of a legal review. If any concerned agencies raise objections to it, a tripartite review committee will be set up to review the law and rule.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321412

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-21

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course it will because the law was tailored for Thaksin.

This amazing Junta has spent countless efforts to get rid of Thaksin and the red shirts, ignoring all the signals which said it wouldn't be enough now that the "poors" started to awaken...

Instead of trying to do such stupid things they should have left Yingluk fall because of the riece scheme and the non payments, which would have put the voters to go see elsehwere...instead they make her and the Thaksin family "martyrs"... 

The wake up call, bound to happen after a cetain event, will be hard 

Just love that photo of Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam, a noted "illegal" expert, doing his "you're a naughty boy Thaksin" schoolmaster finger wagging. 

And Thaksin, after school you will write out 100 times......"I will not take money from others and run away".

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

When asked by reporters whether those suspended cases would proceed under the new law, Wissanu answered yes.

Wissanu explained that ongoing cases would be proceeded under the new law.

Well, who saw this coming?

I try to be positive regarding Thailand and it has many, many great things.

However, this action and law is revolting.

when people run away from justice to avoid being charged or locked up they deserve everything that happens to them, if he had of returned to Thailand he could have defended himself in court but he refuses because he knows he is guilty. Its easier for him to wait till the time limits expire and pay his party and red scum to do his dirty work for him trying to get him pardoned, the man personifies cowardice and he just lets everyone else take the fall for him

Edited by seajae

^^^^

You know, I really wish you would stop referring to anyone who has voted for Thaksin and his party (parties) as "red scum". It is really a most offensive term to apply to a very large number of Thais, including incidentally my wife.

I suppose the only upside is that we can in turn refer to you as an "apologist for fascism."

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The bill, among 10 organic laws required by the new charter, has become highly controversial as it would enable the court to proceed with cases that had been put on hold even in the absence of the defendants.

To my knowledge Thailand must have been the only country in the world where court cases couldn't proceed in absence of the defendants.

I can smell already who are protesting to this. Hint: It aren't the farmers.

3 hours ago, seajae said:

when people run away from justice to avoid being charged or locked up they deserve everything that happens to them, if he had of returned to Thailand he could have defended himself in court but he refuses because he knows he is guilty. Its easier for him to wait till the time limits expire and pay his party and red scum to do his dirty work for him trying to get him pardoned, the man personifies cowardice and he just lets everyone else take the fall for him

So no matter who it might be you advocate retrospective law? 

Someday this corrupt government might apply a retrospective law to you and I hope you can squiggle out of it. Second thoughts, I hope you can't.

People here in Thailand are now living and walking a legal tightrope which is getting tighter all the time.

When are they going to realize that their constant attempts to punish Thaksin , presumably because the elite feel that they lost face by allowing him to escape out of the country is totally backfiring on them by keeping him in the public eye, gaining more sympathy for him & making themselves even more disliked than they were in the first place?

What they should have done is try him "in absentia" and then just forget about him, but of course their over inflated egos will not allow them to do this so they continue their vendetta against him & his family & dig an ever increasing hole for themselves in the eyes of the vast majority of Thai people.... 

12 hours ago, Pridilives said:

Now I think crocodile tear from you. You write Thai are ignorant and only vote for someone give 400 baht and then Thai change and give vote for next because 500 baht. Do you think the thing you write is offensive or not. You stay one village for one month and then defame all issan Thai with what I believe to be lies. You don't speak truth. 

Ignore the recalcitrants who keep harping on the subject of vote buying. There are sufficient local articles and even leaders from the Dem Party who have refuted that claim. If election is about vote buying than the Dem with deep pockets from the top corporations and wealthy elites will have no problem winning the election. They don't need a messy coup or arm twisting other coalition parties to form the government. Election is about winning the heart and soul of the majority of people. 

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Well, who saw this coming?

I try to be positive regarding Thailand and it has many, many great things.

However, this action and law is revolting.

Is it revolting to be able to charge and convict somebody who stole a lot of money and then fled the country?

23 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Is it revolting to be able to charge and convict somebody who stole a lot of money and then fled the country?

Revolting to have corruption cases that have been delayed due to political preferences. Police stations and Phuket land corruption cases spring to mind. 

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

and do you think that he would have a fair trial

Whyever not, when his brother-in-law or sister were PM, thus removing any possibility of government-pressure on the justice-system ?

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Whyever not, when his brother-in-law or sister were PM, thus removing any possibility of government-pressure on the justice-system ?

You lack understand of justice system. Judge not take order from government they take order outside government. Thai justice not good for anyone. Not thaksin not Myanmar boy at koh tao and you should care because if you some reason go court. Not good for you to. 

Just now, tomwct said:

I Love it! Justice for all! Come home and defend yourself or stay hidden away in Dubai! By the way time to pay your taxes!

I think you love it because not justice for all but instead injustice for few. Not clever thing for support because one day if shoe on other foot not gonna be good for you. 

Just now, Pridilives said:

I think you love it because not justice for all but instead injustice for few. Not clever thing for support because one day if shoe on other foot not gonna be good for you. 

Don't worry about me! I am not 'lawless"! I respect laws even in Thailand. If Thaksin is tried and convicted under these laws then

he deserves it because he didn't respect Thai Laws! In fact, he probably doesn't believe he broke the law in any of his schemes and endeavors.

6 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Don't worry about me! I am not 'lawless"! I respect laws even in Thailand. If Thaksin is tried and convicted under these laws then

he deserves it because he didn't respect Thai Laws! In fact, he probably doesn't believe he broke the law in any of his schemes and endeavors.

Two Myanmar boys from koh Tao not lawless either. I think it crazy to hate someone so much are willing to support bad system. You ever here principle better let 100 guilty man go free than convict 1 innocent man. Your principle look like better 100 innocent man go jail if can punish 1 man you don't like. Not wise position to have.

20 hours ago, JAG said:

^^^^

You know, I really wish you would stop referring to anyone who has voted for Thaksin and his party (parties) as "red scum". It is really a most offensive term to apply to a very large number of Thais, including incidentally my wife.

I suppose the only upside is that we can in turn refer to you as an "apologist for fascism."

I am referring to the group & its leaders itself, they are glorified terrorists so red scum suits then perfectly or do you think killing innocent  women and children is great like they do and cheer it. Anyone that supports violence and death to get their preferred results deserves to be locked up or in this case hiding away i  another country

16 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So no matter who it might be you advocate retrospective law? 

Someday this corrupt government might apply a retrospective law to you and I hope you can squiggle out of it. Second thoughts, I hope you can't.

People here in Thailand are now living and walking a legal tightrope which is getting tighter all the time.

for all those that do their crimes then run away overseas yes but you are talking about thaksin, he deserves everything he gets

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

for all those that do their crimes then run away overseas yes but you are talking about thaksin, he deserves everything he gets

I wasn't talking about Thaksin or anyone in particular but I agree with you. I was simply making a comment about the immorality of retrospective legislation and law whether it be for villains or Thai civilians in general.

21 minutes ago, seajae said:

I am referring to the group & its leaders itself, they are glorified terrorists so red scum suits then perfectly or do you think killing innocent  women and children is great like they do and cheer it. Anyone that supports violence and death to get their preferred results deserves to be locked up or in this case hiding away i  another country

I agree with you. Everyone who use violence to overturn election belong in jail. Is there any other Color scum you want to mention (yello/green perhaps)

23 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Just love that photo of Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam, a noted "illegal" expert, doing his "you're a naughty boy Thaksin" schoolmaster finger wagging. 

And Thaksin, after school you will write out 100 times......"I will not take money from others and run away".

Coups r illegal