Military parachutist in coma after landing on high voltage lines in southern Thailand

rooster59

Military parachutist in coma after landing on high voltage lines in southern Thailand

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1pcr4gddxwoSDwlT.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A trainee army parachutist is in a coma after he landed on high voltage wires causing a transformer to explode.

The horrific moment was captured on a dash cam of a passing car as the transformer exploded and the soldier fell to the ground.

The incident happened outside the Monthon Army base 41in Ban Cha-ian district of Nakorn Sri Thammarat.

An unnamed army spokesman said that parachutists were in training and the flight concerned was the fifth and last of the day to take off from Nakorn Sri Thammarat Airport.

The parachutists were set to land in a designated area on an army runway.

After jumping from the army C 130 plane the soldiers were doing a synchronized formation exercise but one of the trainees got detached from the group and lost control in the wind.

He landed on power poles and a transformer exploded injuring him severely.

He was first treated at the Vachirawuth Camp hospital before being transferred for treatment in Hat Yai, Songkhla.

Thai Rath said in their headline that he was in a coma.

Footage from the car was posted on the "Minnie May" page on Facebook.

Footage of the training leading up to the accident was posted on a page with the name "Wathanya Kaetkaew" (transliterated from Thai language).

Our still picture from the dash cam footage shows the transformer exploding at 4.28pm on Thursday.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-22

Accidents happen I suppose, and I feel sorry for the young trainee, but the headline sparks some vague connection in my mind, now what was it, oh I remember -  "Para-troopers to train Phuket parasailing operators".

As a former paratrooper with Uncle Sam, I would think that whoever planned this tragic jump was unfortunately in the wrong. No way should a jumper in training, have a chance to come close to any power lines, regardless of the wind.

Edited by missoura

5 hours ago, missoura said:

As a former paratrooper with Uncle Sam, I would think that whoever planned this tragic jump was unfortunately in the wrong. No way should a jumper in training, have a chance to come close to any power lines, regardless of the wind.

Well looking at the photo, it looks like he will have to be known as Gordon henceforth

6 hours ago, nausea said:

Accidents happen I suppose, and I feel sorry for the young trainee, but the headline sparks some vague connection in my mind, now what was it, oh I remember -  "Para-troopers to train Phuket parasailing operators".

! sad way to go  " 

Very sad indeed. Does anyone think PM Prayut cares a hoot?

He should have bought his parachute wings from the local military medal and badge shop like everyone else in the military and para military.

Edited by Cadbury

11 hours ago, missoura said:

This is Thailand , not the west . Don't expect any planning ahead.