PM Prayut seeks decision on visitor TM6 forms at airport

webfact

PM seeks decision on visitor forms at airport

By The Nation

91485c463f82b11c456dd2256cb5acf3.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to fill the 'TM6' arrival and departure form as part of measures to improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.

A Cabinet resolution had allowed use of the old TM6 form with two separate sections for arrival and departure to be used until September 30. This followed a request from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport's to adjust the new form in order to help the ministry to get information for analysing and planning tourism marketing strategies.

The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience, and would be used from October 1.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321551

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-24

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds as though this may be a small step in the right direction ?

Next to make it 90-days visa-exempt-entry on-arrival (likeMalaysia), instead of 30-days,  also action to link the TM-6 computer-system to update the TM-30 computer-system so that we don't need to report withing-24-hours of returning,  and to require 90-day-reports only if you've changed your address.

It should be relatively easy to significantly-reduce the number of times visitors need to disturb Immigration every year, to the benefit of both visitors and Immigration.

....improve immigration procedure at airports, reduce waiting time and long queues.....

And what about the compulsory travel insurance in danish or dutch, that won't slow down anything, right?

Edited by chopin2

18 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

"And what about the compulsory travel insurance in danish or dutch, that won't slow down anything, right?"

What compulsory travel 

Edited by CharlieH
Links to bankpost are not permitted as per forum rules.

49 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Sounds as though this may be a small step in the right direction ?

Next to make it 90-days visa-exempt-entry on-arrival (likeMalaysia), instead of 30-days,  also action to link the TM-6 computer-system to update the TM-30 computer-system so that we don't need to report withing-24-hours of returning,  and to require 90-day-reports only if you've changed your address.

It should be relatively easy to significantly-reduce the number of times visitors need to disturb Immigration every year, to the benefit of both visitors and Immigration.

Your post makes too much sense.

The cynic in me says they will make it a step in the wrong direction...

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

It almost sounds as though they're talking about eliminating the questionnaire on the back of the Arrival portion?

How would an automated channel work when the IO needs to verify so many things (visa, voa, exemption, extention, re-entry permit, passport expiry, 20k, etc.) and give you the right duration stamp?

I'd obviously welcome any improvements.

8 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Your post makes too much sense.

The cynic in me says they will make it a step in the wrong direction...

You've clearly spent some time in-country, and learned how things work, here ! :smile:

It shows how we expats view things, if a simple form-redesign creates such a positive response !

I would prefer to say, there is clearly amply-opportunity for improvement, through relatively-minor policy-changes.  We/they have no problems, but lots and lots of opportunities ! :tongue:

In response to Ricardo,

If they decide the need for 90 Day reports is no longer necessary.  It will be less business for your local immigration office. That in turn might cause them to decide they don't need as many immigration offices as they have now. After all, they don't charge anything for the 90 day report. It would save them money to shut down some offices.

It might go back to the time that you will have to travel long distances to do any dealings with immigration. 

I know it is nice to think of no more 90 day reporting. But, be careful what you wish for. 

Some might find it better still to travel only once a year, regardless of the distance. I don't do them, but my husband does. He says he would welcome just traveling one time a year. That is if, the requirement to report 24 hrs.after arriving in county was abolished. If there was a change of address then the report should probably be made.

Edited by habanero

I departed yesterday via DMK - a 40-minute outbound immigration queue, not because of cumbersome T.M. 6 forms (which 98% of people had already filled out) but because only a third of the immigration desks in the foreign section were manned.  Despite repeated assurances from the immigration heads at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang that "everything has been fixed", they continue to suffer from understaffing.  I can only imagine that it is a budgetary issue, as they have all of the information they need to forecast passenger volumes at any given time of the day.  Don Muang is significantly worse than Suvarnabhumi, both inbound and outbound, and I avoid it like the plague.  Eliminating T.M. 6 forms will not make these queues any shorter.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The new TM6 form will have only one section for the visitor to fill

well, reducing the need to continually copy the departure card for our reporting would be welcome; never saw any need , other than blindly following questionable regulations, for that departure card; mine is 7 years old; sure it links numberwise to the arrival card but passports can show arrivals dates; who cares what flight and airline it was years and years ago ?

This form is as useless as a rotten tooth. Everything the ministry needs is on the first page of every Passport.

The rest will be on the immigration stamps with duration of stay. officers are waisting lots of time comparing what is written on the form to passports and what for?

51 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

I departed yesterday via DMK - a 40-minute outbound immigration queue, not because of cumbersome T.M. 6 forms (which 98% of people had already filled out) but because only a third of the immigration desks in the foreign section were manned.  Despite repeated assurances from the immigration heads at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang that "everything has been fixed", they continue to suffer from understaffing.  I can only imagine that it is a budgetary issue, as they have all of the information they need to forecast passenger volumes at any given time of the day.  Don Muang is significantly worse than Suvarnabhumi, both inbound and outbound, and I avoid it like the plague.  Eliminating T.M. 6 forms will not make these queues any shorter.

Probably were having the ever popular meeting...half the organizations here seem to be having them when I want something done.:smile:

The form doesn't slow the system down....it's a lack of experienced immigration people at desks....

Most fill the forms on the flight prior to landing.....with the exception of a couple of races, who are often chaotic when they travel

Edited by ChrisY1

Booze-up and brewery spring to mind.  Thailand is sinking in a swamp of waste paper and plastic bags.  Immigration policies are dependent on how much printer ink/copy paper is used.  All senior officers have shares in companies selling these commodities.

1 hour ago, KamnanT said:

Lack of English skills is probably a factor, agree the TM-6 is the least of the problems facing the entire process- although on the staff end  probably cumbersome to enter all the  address, etc info- if that is even done. 

Also agree the TM 30 is a huge hassle,  I feel like a sex offender having to register my whereabouts. The only time we should be "reporting"  anything is when address changes.

Malaysia was finish whit this stupid paper for over 2 year ago, no they us fingerprint and pictures, and you get 3 month visa stamp in your passport in the Immigration on the Airport.

And Immigration people smiling and tell you Welcom to Malaysia.

Thailand are 50 year back from the Neighboring country.

Edited 3 hours ago by nasa123

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It almost sounds as though they're talking about eliminating the questionnaire on the back of the Arrival portion?

I'd obviously welcome any improvements.

You ever filled that stuff??

What 24 hour reporting after arriving back in the country? I get a re-entry permit before I leave and on return my passport is stamped for 90 days after arrival - I then report to my local immigration on that day and resume regular 90 day reporting as normal.

5 minutes ago, clifric said:

What 24 hour reporting after arriving back in the country? I get a re-entry permit before I leave and on return my passport is stamped for 90 days after arrival - I then report to my local immigration on that day and resume regular 90 day reporting as normal.

You are required to report to your local immigration, in fact your landlord has to do this, but you can do on the approp. form also.

To proof the rumors about the necessity to report to Immigration within 24 hours when you return, I went to Immigration today.
And that's the result:

- Yes, Immigration wants to know that you are back
- normally it's the obligation of the owner of the house to do that (see attachment)
- but you are allowed to do that on your own. No need to bother the owner

you get a corresponding receipt...

bild-1.jpg

Bild-2.jpg

Edited by Aachen

2 hours ago, jobwolf said:

This form is as useless as a rotten tooth. Everything the ministry needs is on the first page of every Passport.

The rest will be on the immigration stamps with duration of stay. officers are waisting lots of time comparing what is written on the form to passports and what for?

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

Malaysia was finish whit this stupid paper for over 2 year ago, no they us fingerprint and pictures, and you get 3 month visa stamp in your passport in the Immigration on the Airport.

And Immigration people smiling and tell you Welcom to Malaysia.

Thailand are 50 year back from the Neighboring country.

Edited 3 hours ago by nasa123

Vietnam also dropped them many years ago. But then Malaysia and Vietnam are far more progressive countries than paranoid Thailand.

Unnecessary, ever think to yourself "What do they do with these things??"   Vietnam got rid of them 6 or 7 years ago, also hotels report your presence on-line, no copies........but some deep jungle police stations still require the paper form to register foreigners in their districts.  

I agree the Thai immigration 90 reporting should be done away with, its already on-line but I see some people still need to go to immigration, those people could be re-trained in another part of immigrations. 

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Good now do away with the ridiculous 90 day reporting and we are getting somewhere.

At least get the on line report system working.
It seems an area where the prohibition against "foreign" workers is not well thought out, or at least whoever has been tasked with it has demonstrated that it is not within their competence. 

On this subject, having recently returned from Savannakhet with a fresh multi entry non "O" visa, am I supposed to have reported to immigration myself, or am I automatically covered for the first 90 days per:

"5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days."

Edited by Bill Miller

I find that the only problem with the TM6 is all those people who stand in the Immigration lines like complete idiots, watching everyone else fill out the TM6 form, then get to the IO and try to give him a blank form because they think they are special little snowflakes and the rules don't apply to them. Probably the same people that line up for the security screening and watch as everyone ahead of them takes off all their metal/belts/watches/etc and puts them into their carry-on or a basket, but they themselves wait until the screener specifically tells them to do all that because, again, they think the rules don't apply to them. 

I've actually seen people clap when an IO has told someone to go back to the back of the room, fill out the TM6 and the line up again (at the back).

The information on the back could use some updating, and the "system" could be improved no doubt about it (as could the 90 Day report system). However the government does need to collect certain info (i.e. on difference between tourist arrivals or business arrivals, long stay arrivals, etc). It also helps them try to keep track of how many "foreigners" are in the country (legally at least). 

The thing most people forget is that their own countries probably do almost the exact same thing to foreigners arriving in their countries ! You rarely notice it because you (in many places) go through different queues than the tourists do (except in Canada where they decide to screw their own people over, though in some places it seems they now have electronic passport scanners that some people can use).

Usually a citizen may have to fill out a Customs declaration and that's it. A quick stop to have your passport scanned and you are off. 

Meanwhile all the "foreigners" are undergoing a much closer scrutiny, checking visas and names in computers and the like. You don't usually notice because you are already at the baggage carousel or heading out the door.

You can tell how much a country depends on tourism by the number of Immigration counters they have for tourists compared to those for their own citizens. I remember flying into Manila a few years ago. They had like 4 lines for foreigners and 16 lines for citizens. Places like Dubai are the same (love the "e-Gate" in Dubai though, especially if you are a frequent traveller through there).

Meanwhile in Thailand it's pretty much the opposite. A few counters for citizens and a whole whack of them for tourists.