Pattaya: The sea is black and the beach filthy with rubbish

webfact

Pattaya: The sea is black and the beach filthy with rubbish

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

PATTAYA: -- Just when some people were thinking that the image of Pattaya as a beach holiday could not get any worse, influential Thai media Thai Rath came to town.

And they went to town in their article slamming the resort as filthy after several days of rains caused the sea once again to be black and a one kilometer stretch of coast strewn with all manner of litter and refuse.

Thai Rath said that measures to install cloth netting to prevent coastal trash from entering the sea had proved useless.

Attempts by the local authority to clean up were largely a waste of time.

And amid all the stinks and smells a pumping station was still not repaired properly.

Reporters said that a one kilometer stretch in South Pattaya around the Royal Garden department store was affected.

But their assessment that this is bad for the image of Pattaya will be met with derision by long suffering residents.

And news of the filthy state of the beach is hardly likely to inspire the new wave of tourists that the government is trying to encourage to visit the resort.

Thai Rath said that the situation in Pattaya was in reality worse than ever.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-25

Variety of reasons for all this. Incompetence, stupidity, laziness, corruption and a total lack of care, while not exclusive, do head the list. Maybe if the authorities addressed the problem rather than raiding a few soapy massage bars and telling us all is good with the world, the beach might improve. Then again, given their performance so far, probably not going to happen.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

influential Thai media Thai Rath came to town.

To do what? Confirm what all the locals have known for the past 20+ years? OK, good that they put pressure on this issue. But will it really resolve the issue?

I last had a paddle in 1995 and it still gives me the creeps thinking about it!

Waste water treatment plants aren't the best here together with the prolific street dumping of 'waste'.

Hopefully one day they will pump (sorry?) some serious cash into a major overhaul of the whole system. 

Meanwhile, nature is trying to deal with it all. It's all part of a developing country...

I wish this were the only story in every Pattaya, BKK and every other news outlet concerned with Pattaya.

Would probably take a year or two, but they "might" start to address the issue.

Russians & Chinese don't seem to mind the pollution though.

This is not just about sewage/flooding  One major main source  of this black water is  from the years of all  kinds decaying organic material from under the Walking st piers that is no longer being absorbed. This time of year prevailing winds/long shore current  are from South to North. So all this deep muck is being swept up the beach.

So there really is not a solution short of total excavation of that area from Bali Hi to pump station

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, ezflip said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

influential Thai media Thai Rath came to town.

To do what? Confirm what all the locals have known for the past 20+ years? OK, good that they put pressure on this issue. But will it really resolve the issue?

Maybe Phuket (or even Bali???) hired them to push tourists their way?

It's one thing to have a problem and all the locals know about it.  It's another thing completely when it hits the mainstream.  Which is now best defined as being somewhere in the top page of a Google search...

Edited by impulse

The TAT will come up with a new campaign luring urgently needed tourists to Sin City,- the ones who like to clean up beaches during their holidays. Register now and enjoy trash bag discounts up to  70%!

Edited by Lupatria

Thailand is a beautiful country, but the locals seem head over heels in destroying their main source of income by using the car window as the bin, the sea as a sewage container and dumping as much rubbish around a 'you will be fined 2,000 baht for dumping rubbish' sign as possible

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I wish this were the only story in every Pattaya, BKK and every other news outlet concerned with Pattaya.

Would probably take a year or two, but they "might" start to address the issue.

Russians & Chinese don't seem to mind the pollution though.

55555 ...  That's why they're called, "Quality Tourists"

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Just normal garbage and sh*t hidden in roadside storm drains being washed to the sea by torrential rain...

Mother Nature's way of exposing the reality of the Thai's nature.

much of the black water is septic overflow. it builds up in the storm water systems and gets flushed out with the rain. a civilized country would have a separate system. maybe coming with pattaya V99.0

When I lived on Jomtien Beach nearly 30 years ago,, the sea was often full of plastic bags and when the tide went out it was pretty horrendous. Nothing has been done since that except there are several 100,000 condo's now pouring shit into the sea and all the filth that pours out of the Chao Praya in Bangkok into the gulf.There is absolutely no willingless by the Thai's to address rubbish , pollution, terrible driving etc and one day there will be the most almighty enviromental disaster which may or probably not make the powers that be do something!

They make it seem so appealing that I might just have to jump on a plane and head back there. Oh wait, I think I have another day snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef tomorrow, and a Daintree Rainforest trip later, so I might just be a while longer before I return. :sorry:

I do not see any rubbish in the picture.  The water is not filthy.  I think all of you need "rose-colored" glasses like the ones that I wear.  I am confident that the clean beaches and water will attract extremely wealthy tourists, and the place will soon resemble Monaco.  I also have some condo units that I would like to sell.  Any suckers.......ooopps , I mean buyers out there?

Not until the government get serious about pollution control / management and change their whole thought process and introduce serious fine's will anything ever improve.... if started today it will take at least 10 + years to clean up the shit around the country.... and that's a conservative guess.

1 hour ago, leggo said:

When I lived on Jomtien Beach nearly 30 years ago,, the sea was often full of plastic bags and when the tide went out it was pretty horrendous. Nothing has been done since that except there are several 100,000 condo's now pouring shit into the sea and all the filth that pours out of the Chao Praya in Bangkok into the gulf.There is absolutely no willingless by the Thai's to address rubbish , pollution, terrible driving etc and one day there will be the most almighty enviromental disaster which may or probably not make the powers that be do something!

You missed the secret. It's their way of reclamation from the sea. Take centuries, but slowly and surely...

What do they expect, how many proper functioning waste treatment facilities are there in the whole area from Bang Saen to Bang Saray? Where do they think the shit from the whole of central Pattaya is going,not to mention the shit from the rest of the city. It is not just here there is a problem it is in all of the country.

Why would anyone pay big bucks to go on vacation in a place where not even the locals gives a shit about the environment they live in and the effects it has on the oceans.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that the situation in Pattaya was in reality worse than ever.

yeah, that will help......I wonder if anybody who's coming to Pattaya looking for a clean beach with kids playing in the sand...?

I doubt that the beach and the sea is the main attraction.

4 hours ago, leggo said:

When I lived on Jomtien Beach nearly 30 years ago,, the sea was often full of plastic bags and when the tide went out it was pretty horrendous. Nothing has been done since that except there are several 100,000 condo's now pouring shit into the sea

Very true, except that most of those condos are lucky to have as much as 10% occupancy.

Imagine if there was 100% occupancy.................

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

Why is this a "news" item? There's only been 6000 years of human and animal waste flowing into the gulf from the entire south Asian continent. 

Yes, but the population of Pattaya now exceeds that of "the entire south Asian continent" 6000 years ago. 

Not many transnational tourists or expats back then.

I stand to be corrected by some historian or other.......