12 month 'Non O' Visa extention due next week. Any surprises to be expected at Phuket immigration?

geoffphuket

On 7/25/2017 at 10:28 AM, phuketrichard said:

only dif i had from last year to this year ( i did mine in june)
was the photo of me standing in front of my house

And that photo needs to be on A 4 size paper, not 4 x 6 photos The example I was shown filled the page. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, Psimbo said:

The official list of requirements is the latest one and included the information about the picture with your house number. I did it last week  (as commented on on the other thread) and it is correct.

As I have stayed here long enough I am aware that things change. I actually took more than is on the list (map, etc) but it was not needed.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:51 PM, geoffphuket said:

I meant the official list of requirements... I'm sure you know what I mean, if you've stayed here long enough :sad:

Won't the  required list will be different depending on the type of extension- marriage, retirement, etc ?

19 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

And that photo needs to be on A 4 size paper, not 4 x 6 photos The example I was shown filled the page. 

A 4x6 photo stapled to a piece of A4 paper is acceptable.

They just don't want any odd-sized documents mixed in with the paperwork.

7 minutes ago, DrDave said:

A 4x6 photo stapled to a piece of A4 paper is acceptable.

They just don't want any odd-sized documents mixed in with the paperwork.

I just downloaded the photo to my computer, opened it in Photoshop, resized it to 4X6 and printed it in the middle of an A4 piece of paper. I did make it in color as I had read someone's comment about it not being in B&W. It was accepted.

I   printed out the  pic  and then realized  how shabby the front  of the house looks.  Any thoughts on why they want this pic?  Checking out  our  abodes  for  financial expenditures?  When  I was  there asking about what docs were needed for retirement -

Young man  volunteer , " make sure it has the house number in it .." 

" But the house does not have a number .." 

"Oh  that's OK .."   

What I do have is a wooden mail box  with some wooden numbers pasted onto it, maybe  give it a paint job  and stick it on on the wall next to the front door  - fix the ripped up screen door  

12 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

I   printed out the  pic  and then realized  how shabby the front  of the house looks.  Any thoughts on why they want this pic?  Checking out  our  abodes  for  financial expenditures?  When  I was  there asking about what docs were needed for retirement -

Young man  volunteer , " make sure it has the house number in it .." 

" But the house does not have a number .." 

"Oh  that's OK .."   

What I do have is a wooden mail box  with some wooden numbers pasted onto it, maybe  give it a paint job  and stick it on on the wall next to the front door  - fix the ripped up screen door  

The pics are just visual proof that you actually live where you say you live. In reality it's just Immigration  displaying their power over us interlopers. Nothing to  do with your wealth or life style.

One time I just printed out a large fancy font number. Stuck the A4 paper to my wall by the front door - accepted.

Done mine this morning..all same as previously reported.. thought I could get away without photo in front of house by giving them copy of my yellow book with my name and address... nope.. had to get photo of me standing in front of house. Also had to get a copy of my bank book.. front and back page.. again thought I could get away with just Stat Dec from Australian Consulate.. nope.. had bank book with me. got photo copy there.. also had to fill in TM2 at front of office.Room 103 downstairs... all good..pick up Passport tomorrow 1pm.. took about half an hour. But things might change..

Did mine yesterday, couple new additions comparing to last year:

-- now they require a copy of our farang landlord's passport. Funny enough, couple years ago when residency certificates were introduced, they explicitly rejected his passport, and asked for the certificate instead. Now certificate alone is not enough. Go figure.

-- AFTER my child's birth I acquired another citizenship, and now (first time, even though I hold this citizenship for 4+ years now) immi officer asked a copy of my 2nd passport, as my application passport differs from passport in my kids birth certificate. It was totally unexpected, but as I keep all my documents in Dropbox, I could email him a copy within a minute. Not satisfied with this outcome (he was expecting me to run home and come back next day, or tip him a 1000 thb or smth), he started asking for a document that confirms my transition from one citizenship to another. Needless to say, such thing does not even exists anywhere apart from this officer's wild dreams. After my wife told him off (politely, not to lose too much of his face), this requirement was dropped, all papers were stamped and normal 1900 thb fee collected. 

Overall, quite smooth this year, in and out within 2 hrs after lunch time. Full updated list of documents required is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kiurO8B1MUB28hzPGfeO9I2hgrfvjh3tVYDageNE64U/edit

Oh headache!

We've been to the office this morning with all the correct paperwork and they won't accept a family photo of us standing outside of the house - showing the house number. The officer said he wants a family photo of us IN THE HOUSE showing furniture. I hate this bloody place! :sad:

24 minutes ago, geoffphuket said:

Oh headache!

We've been to the office this morning with all the correct paperwork and they won't accept a family photo of us standing outside of the house - showing the house number. The officer said he wants a family photo of us IN THE HOUSE showing furniture. I hate this bloody place! :sad:

a bummer, but photos inside and outside of the house have been a requirement at least for 4 years now. I have an accurate representation of our aging family vs. forever young house )

Just now, andreww said:

a bummer, but photos inside and outside of the house have been a requirement at least for 4 years now. I have an accurate representation of our aging family vs. forever young house )

This is my 11th extension of my current Visa and 'yes' they've wanted a family photo inside the house - but last year they said it had changed and they now want one outside, showing the house number. Now they seem to have changed their minds AGAIN! 

5 minutes ago, andreww said:

these last few years only asked for standing outside with house number. Never been asked for an inside photo ?

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Standing outside is for retirement extension.

Standing inside with family is for marriage extension.

Not according to the replies I received on TV last week....  last year the officer wanted a group family photo of us standing outside the house.

6 hours ago, geoffphuket said:

Oh headache!

That's just absurd...What on earth does it prove? You have furniture?  Some other thread or another  it was claimed the pic needed to be in the bedroom ...I hate this bloody place, too. NO WAY WILL I STAY - going to wait for high season to sell a bunch of stuff, and then out.. 

4 hours ago, geoffphuket said:

Not according to the replies I received on TV last week....  last year the officer wanted a group family photo of us standing outside the house.

So.....what happens if you are alone and retired?

I've only ever been asked for the outside photo. I know guys on marriage extension and they would have to pose for photo with missus to get the extension.

Just got my third extension and this was the first time I was asked for an outside photo with house number visible.

25 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

So.....what happens if you are alone and retired?

I've only ever been asked for the outside photo. I know guys on marriage extension and they would have to pose for photo with missus to get the extension.

Just got my third extension and this was the first time I was asked for an outside photo with house number visible.

As I understand it, this week the interior is for extension based on marriage.  The exterior is for us retirees and is a new requirement. 

When I asked about the number requirement, as  my house does not have one, I was told "That's OK"  So of course it won't be- better put the post box on the wall.

Guess I'll take pics of inside too, no doubt it will be a  requirement IF I don't have it.

Some shots of my hairbrush with a few strands shown ,  dental floss, other DNA samplings?  Sanitary items... 

It's not that there are requirements, that's reasonable,  it's the inconsistency and outright whimsical nature of them. Nothing on the sheet of paper I was given has a picture requirement, that was a verbal instruction.. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

On 8/2/2017 at 4:51 PM, PhuketSarah said:

That's just absurd...What on earth does it prove? You have furniture?  Some other thread or another  it was claimed the pic needed to be in the bedroom ...I hate this bloody place, too. NO WAY WILL I STAY - going to wait for high season to sell a bunch of stuff, and then out.. 

I'm sorry Sarah but imo the only thing that is absurd is your dismal attitude, is it really so difficult 

to fill in a couple of forms and take a picture outside your door showing the number that you have

written as your address on the forms?

Why oh why make such a drama out of such a simple task that has to be completed once a YEAR

yes once a YEAR, not every week or every month but one time every year.

You are the one who decided to come here not them so if you wish to stay jump through a couple of

hoops fill in their forms and it is all done for another year.

Or pay some fancy legal bod to do it all for you at considerably more than 1900 Baht.

But whatever you decide please stop banging on about how useless everybody/thing is in the place

you decided to come and stay, thank you.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:47 PM, phuketjock said:

I'm sorry Sarah but imo the only thing that is absurd is your dismal attitude, is it really so difficult 

to fill in a couple of forms and take a picture outside your door showing the number that you have

written as your address on the forms?

Why oh why make such a drama out of such a simple task that has to be completed once a YEAR

yes once a YEAR, not every week or every month but one time every year.

You are the one who decided to come here not them so if you wish to stay jump through a couple of

hoops fill in their forms and it is all done for another year.

Or pay some fancy legal bod to do it all for you at considerably more than 1900 Baht.

But whatever you decide please stop banging on about how useless everybody/thing is in the place

you decided to come and stay, thank you.

If you need to apologize for a post, maybe don't post it.

Thanks. 

Others, as evidenced on this thread and hundreds of other threads, maybe thousands, feel inconsistencies within the  Thai  immigration bureaucracy is cause for complaint.

Here's another inconsistency in the requirement sheet I was given;

Extension of Retirement Visa 

Eligibilities  of Applicants  

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this, as in  I do not have that  I was told  " Or  65,000 monthly income."

So which is it?  

I'm also noticing in required documents;

2) Passport and a certified copy 

3) A bank letter confirming a deposit in a Thai bank (same amount as shown in the updated bank book) and a bank statement for the last  three months.

So what is a certified copy of a passport ( Notarized ? And all pages, some pages, just  ID page? ) 

The bank gave me a letter about the account, easily enough but would not put in the balance..

Edited by PhuketSarah
Adddendum

outside of a few new worthless forms,  having to show ur address and the photo showing u outside, .nothing has changed for years and years for retirement extension.

never has taken more than 30 minutes in the past 15 years!!!

Sarah, leave, if u cant figure out what many of us have done for years..... u wont be missed.....

16 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

outside of a few new worthless forms,  having to show ur address and the photo showing u outside, .nothing has changed for years and years for retirement extension.

Sarah, leave, if u cant figure out what many of us have done for years..... u wont be missed.....

NO need to get nasty or personal about my  opinion.  This is a discussion forum, not a private  bridge club- or is it? 

Not all of us have  been doing this for years, and my poor views on immigration are shared by many, many others on this thread, in this forum.

Views also based on unwarranted hassles crossing the border which I have also started threads on in the Visa forum.  

3 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

If you need to apologize for a post, maybe don't post it.

Thanks. 

Others, as evidenced on this thread and hundreds of other threads, maybe thousands, feel inconsistencies within the  Thai  immigration bureaucracy is cause for complaint.

Here's another inconsistency in the requirement sheet I was given;

Extension of Retirement Visa 

Eligibilities  of Applicants  

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this, as in  I do not have that  I was told  " Or  65,000 monthly income."

So which is it?  

I'm also noticing in required documents;

2) Passport and a certified copy 

3) A bank letter confirming a deposit in a Thai bank (same amount as shown in the updated bank book) and a bank statement for the last  three months.

So what is a certified copy of a passport ( Notarized ? And all pages, some pages, just  ID page? ) 

The bank gave me a letter about the account, easily enough but would not put in the balance..

This is a fairly accurate list of requirements for a retirement extension for Phuket immigration,

if you cannot understand this then I would suggest you take phuketrichards advice pronto.

This is my final attempt to help you, only because you remind me of my cantankerous old mum.

After this you are on your own lady. 

What paper you ned whit Retierment extension in Phuket.jpeg

Please note it is a retirement extension, there is no retirement VISA................

Edited by phuketjock
addition

On 06/08/2017 at 10:06 AM, PhuketSarah said:

NO need to get nasty or personal about my  opinion.  This is a discussion forum, not a private  bridge club- or is it? 

Not all of us have  been doing this for years, and my poor views on immigration are shared by many, many others on this thread, in this forum.

Views also based on unwarranted hassles crossing the border which I have also started threads on in the Visa forum.  

I share your frustration, but doing some homework helps here (as everywhere else). I did my (marriage-based) extension for 4th time this year, and it just gets easier and faster, because rules stay 99% the same + I  make notes during each visit.. then it's just rinse&repeat whatever been done previously.

Now, to put things into perspective for you: try dealing with any other country immigration authorities and see how complex (and expensive) things get fast. I dunno which passport you hold, but I had a chance to deal with US, Japanese, Australian, Russian and many other visas and residency permits. From my experience -- Thai immi rules are some of the most laxed + the process is the cheapest and fastest (rivalled only maybe by Cambo, but I haven't had an experience) + Thai people in general are quite cooperative (as long as you stay calm and keep everyone's face straight).

I had an Australian immi officer threatening to cancel my $5k application just because she made a mistake that cost me a pointless round trip to Australia and I called her on that blunder.

So really, there is NOTHING to complain about here comparing to other countries.

Edited by andreww

11 minutes ago, andreww said:

I share your frustration, but doing some homework helps here (as everywhere else). I've been doing my (marriage-based) extension for 4th time this year, and it just gets easier and faster, because rules stay 99% the same + I  make notes during each visit.. then it's just rinse&repeat whatever been done previously.

Now, to put things in perspective for you: try dealing with any other country immigration authorities and see how complex (and expensive) things get fast. I dunno which passport you hold, but I had a chance to deal with US, Japanese, Australian, Russian and many other visas and residency permits. From my experience -- Thai immi rules are some of the most laxed + the process is the cheapest and fastest (rivalled only maybe by Cambo, but I haven't had an experience) + Thai people in general are quite cooperative (as long as you stay calm and keep everyone's face straight).

I had an Australian immi officer threatening me to cancel my $5k application just because she made a mistake that cost me a pointless round trip to Australia and I called her on that blunder.

So really, there is NOTHING to complain about here comparing to other countries.

Exactly. It took me about 2 years to get my now wife her fiancee visa to the US. Two trips to Bangkok and a load of paperwork and fees. Then another load of paperwork and a biometrics appointment and an interview at a different office with both of us. Got her temporary 2 year Green Card. Not more than 30 days before that expires you must be in the US and apply for removal of restrictions. Another $590 fee, another pile of paperwork and another biometrics appointment! Most have to go in for another interview. That took close to a year. Now she has her 10 year Green Card. Thailand is so easy, yet some bitch and moan!

Edited by Jimi007
typos

On 8/6/2017 at 9:44 AM, phuketrichard said:

NO need to troll. This is a discussion forum, not a bridge club 

Not all of us have  been doing this for years, and my poor viws on immigration are also based on hassles crossing the border- like this one 

9 minutes ago, andreww said:

I share your frustration, but doing some homework helps here (as everywhere else). I've been doing my (marriage-based) extension for 4th time this year, and it just gets easier and faster, because rules stay 99% the same + I  make notes during each visit.. then it's just rinse&repeat whatever been done previously.

Now, to put things in perspective for you: try dealing with any other country immigration authorities and see how complex (and expensive) things get fast. I dunno which passport you hold, but I had a chance to deal with US, Japanese, Australian, Russian and many other visas and residency permits. From my experience -- Thai immi rules are some of the most laxed + the process is the cheapest and fastest (rivalled only maybe by Cambo, but I haven't had an experience) + Thai people in general are quite cooperative (as long as you stay calm and keep everyone's face straight).

I had an Australian immi officer threatening me to cancel my $5k application just because she made a mistake that cost me a pointless round trip to Australia and I called her on that blunder.

Yes this is the homework, getting answers to  questions about a  requirement sheet IO gave me that does not match what has been posted here.

I'm not comparing difficulties of  various IO but  I will say the Malaysian MM2H visa was a  pleasant, straight forward process with a simple requirement sheet that was fully legible.

That nation  makes it easy and welcoming. This nation does not. 

Alas that visa expired and the new requirement was out of my reach.  

2 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

NO need to troll. This is a discussion forum, not a bridge club 

Not all of us have  been doing this for years, and my poor viws on immigration are also based on hassles crossing the border- like this one 

Yes this is the homework, getting answers to  questions about a  requirement sheet IO gave me that does not match what has been posted here.

I'm not comparing difficulties of  various IO but  I will say the Malaysian MM2H visa was a  pleasant, straight forward process with a simple requirement sheet that was fully legible.

That nation  makes it easy and welcoming. This nation does not. 

Alas that visa expired and the new requirement was out of my reach.  

Well, those sheets are compiled by volunteers at the immigration, and yes, sometimes they omit certain details.. it's a free job after all...  that's why I compiled my own sheet (based on my experience and forum reading), and everyone is free to edit it. There's a number of other up-to-date sheets freely available on this forum, just takes some time to research. Yes, sometimes it gets illogical, and rules vary from office to office, but once again -- still easier and faster than in other countries. Haven't dealt with Malaysia, but heard how they treat certain groups of tourists (i.e. single young ladies), and let me tell you -- this is unheard in Thailand. 

non-o marriage-based extension requirements:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kiurO8B1MUB28hzPGfeO9I2hgrfvjh3tVYDageNE64U/edit

9 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Exactly. It took me about 2 years to get my now wife her fiancee visa to the US. Two trips to Bangkok and a load of paperwork and fees. Then another load of paperwork and a biometrics appointment and an interview at a different office with both of us. Got her temporary 2 year Green Card. Not more than 30 days before that expires you must be in the US and apply for removal of restrictions. Another $590 fee, another pile of paperwork and another biometrics appointment! Most have to go in for another interview. That took close to a year. Now she has her 10 year Green Card. Thailand is so easy, yet some bitch and moan!

Because USA  is a modern first world nation that millions  want some form of residency in.

Thailand is not.  

I posted elsewhere, I think if IO  really wishes only those wanting to support Thais  ( or back business ventures ) would apply for visa here.