Risk taking by Thai workmen

johnnyonesock

Today i witnessed the spectacle of our resident DIY bloke taking what i consider to be an unacceptable risk

the attached pic shows him sitting on the dividing wall of the condo pool between the kids play area and the main pool with his legs in the water

I believe his intention was to install rubber shrink fit tubing around the exposed wires of one of the pool lights  ....(as seen in the pic}

the blue object in his hand is a 240v electric hairdryer...behind him at the pools edge is one of those 100 baht extension lead boxes which has had its wire extended by twisting the ends together and wrapping black PVC tape around the connection  (bottom of pic)

the final connection to the mains was via a two pin plug into a standard white plastic electrical outlet...no GFCI protection was visible

Has anybody else personally witnessed such death defying risk taking such as this?

pool.jpg

He has the appropriate protection, you can clearly see the amulet around his neck.

An earthed power board and socket wouldn't do much as the hair dryer would only be 2 pin, the pool and pool equipment could still be earthed and the power protected by an earth leakage cct breaker. The dryer hits the water and a path to earth would trip the breaker. Maybe the guy is an electrician and knows this.

Edited by Peterw42

He has the appropriate protection, you can clearly see the amulet around his neck.

An earthed power board and socket wouldn't do much as the hair dryer would only be 2 pin, the pool and pool equipment could still be earthed and the power protected by an earth leakage cct breaker. The dryer hits the water and a path to earth would trip the breaker. Maybe the guy is an electrician and knows this.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

youve  missed the one final difference...............Thai water not same Falang water, usually Thai water also runs uphill and as  this photo proves is  non conductive.....except for all those fried remains sometimes  seen when someone has tried to "borrow" some electric with no financial means

Reading this topic made me think about the plug-in ELCB's we used in the UK for our lawn mowers/hedge trimmers etc.

I found this on Lazada - looks a bit cheapo, but might save a life.

http://www.lazada.co.th/10a-220v-2-pins-us-plug-gfci-leakage-protection-safety-mini-rcdsocket-adaptor-home-circuit-breaker-cutout-power-intl-34544265.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.DqNXUH&ff=1

Better still would be an extension cable with built-in ELCB, if such a thing exists.

We have Safe-T-Cut, plus extra in-line ELCB's for outside equipment, but I'm thinking about giving them to some of our regular "handymen" as I know they will be doing exactly the same as the guy in the OP when they work elsewhere.

Any comments about whether this would be worth buying. Or, anyone seen similar in the shops (I haven't).

Edited by chickenslegs

When working in the Middle East the our recreation centre employed TCNs to install a grab rail just about water level all around the swimming pool. Standing upstairs in the lounge overlooking the pool I saw a workman put an aluminium ladder into the pool leaning against the wall. He disappeared into the poolside toilet and came back with a metal cased electric drill twist-wired to a kinked length of dirty two-core flex trailing from the toilet. He climbed into the pool onto the ladder and,  fully clothed, stood chest height drilling holes into the pool tiles to secure the new grab rail..........He was unharmed because Bangladeshi not same farang.....

7 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You presumably trust that you won't be in the pool when he drops the plugged-in dryer into the water. 

Why would i be if you get a repair man in for electric fix around pool area your not liable to be swimming are you now

59 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Why would i be if you get a repair man in for electric fix around pool area your not liable to be swimming are you now

I'd be more concerned about that pool light, mains ones are still common here!

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'd be more concerned about that pool light, mains ones are still common here!

Still cant see a major problem. But hey i haven'tgot a swimming pool.:cheesy:

I do my own electrics so again no problem if i kill myself ill come back and sue myself.:stoner:

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Still cant see a major problem. But hey i haven'tgot a swimming pool.:cheesy:

I do my own electrics so again no problem if i kill myself ill come back and sue myself.:stoner:

The  fact you cant see a  problem speaks  volumes

14 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Dont like it dont employ him  simple.

We luckily dont live in a nanny state with stupid health and saftey rules. 

Many things in life are a risk. Driving, walking, even breathing is a calculated risk. We are all one heartbeat away from oblivion.

Most "civilized" countries' regulations are now well past the reasonable measures range into overburden and repression. I'm quite happy with the level here thank you.

I'll trade personal risk for freedom and liberty every day and in every way. Those who choose otherwise deserve the government nightmares they foster AND tolerate, if not embrace.

It's way too late to make that choice in most of the world. I know this too well. I recently fled from one of the worst. Thailand is nothing less than a sanctuary for me.

Fortunately, very few people see it as such.

How do you spell relief?

15 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Many things in life are a risk. Driving, walking, even breathing is a calculated risk. We are all one heartbeat away from oblivion.

Most "civilized" countries' regulations are now well past the reasonable measures range into overburden and repression. I'm quite happy with the level here thank you.

I'll trade personal risk for freedom and liberty every day and in every way. Those who choose otherwise deserve the government nightmares they foster AND tolerate, if not embrace.

It's way too late to make that choice in most of the world. I know this too well. I recently fled from one of the worst. Thailand is nothing less than a sanctuary for me.

Fortunately, very few people see it as such.

How do you spell relief?

Which is fine  until someone who doesnt understand something employs someone else who claims they do to fix  something leaving one of them dead/injured, especially valid when you get old/vulnerable

Edited by kannot

Posts removed. Keep it civil please.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 26/07/2017 at 10:25 PM, jeab1980 said:

Dont like it dont employ him  simple.

We luckily dont live in a nanny state with stupid health and saftey rules. 

you talking about thailand the nanny state I think .

You believe  occupational Health & Safety rules are stupid , are you for  Real ?. 

Why should someone go to work and die .

that is why we have  Health and safety rules to save lives .

2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You believe  occupational Health & Safety rules are stupid , are you for  Real ?. 

Good for your nanny state.  

2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Plus you need to re read my post nobody especially me is staying Thailand is a nanny state thank god.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Plus you need to re read my post nobody especially me is staying Thailand is a nanny state thank god.

Than what nanny state are you talking about?.

then again you believe   Occupational health and safety rules are stupid , says a lot about how you think with no  disrespect .

Edited by georgemandm
Add

OK chaps, enough of the bickering.

I don't believe anyone is saying that H&S rules are "stupid" in general, without them we would still have construction sites with everyone wearing suits and flat caps.

But, there are many rules in the West which would be considered "common sense" and a fair number which are attempting to apply one simple rule to all situations with the result being that, in certain situations, they are "less than optimal" (ok stupid).

Sadly, there are many who lack the common sense gene and have to be instructed :sad:

31 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Than what nanny state are you talking about?.

then again you believe   Occupational health and safety rules are stupid , says a lot about how you think with no  disrespect .

If you dont know what a nanny state is have a look at your adoted country Australia. I love the fact here I can choose to do my own plumbing or Electrics. Without some Mr jobs worth saying Oh no you need a qualified this that and the other. Nothing at all to do with how i think i can quite easily do my own risk appraisal and  make sure I am safe, i dont need to be told to turn Electric off at fuse box before fixing a plug socket or light fitting. 

If you or others are not comfortable doing that get a tradesman in as in the origional post. Good luck with that then

Edited by jeab1980