BMW Group gives Thai electric vehicle technology a boost

webfact

7 hours ago, mortenaa said:

I have to laugh reading some of the comments here.
More than 110,000 electric cars in Norway already (4% of the fleet), and new sales is 30-40% electric.

What a shame that in your electric car praise song, you fail to say why there are so many electric cars in Norway.

Norway isd a very wealthy country, they got very wealthy due to the enormous oil industry by the way, so they can give also enormous incentives to electric car owners.

As i said earlier, electric cars are same as solar industry, it will never be viable without subsidising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Norway

The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars and utility vans are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars.[6] As an example, by early 2013 the price of the top selling Nissan Leaf is 240,690 kroner (around US$42,500) while the purchase price of the 1.3-lt Volkswagen Golf is 238,000 kroner (about US$42,000).[11] Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes.[6][50] These incentives are in effect until the end of 2017 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved.[6]

On 7/28/2017 at 9:07 PM, janclaes47 said:

What a shame that in your electric car praise song, you fail to say why there are so many electric cars in Norway.

Norway isd a very wealthy country, they got very wealthy due to the enormous oil industry by the way, so they can give also enormous incentives to electric car owners.

As i said earlier, electric cars are same as solar industry, it will never be viable without subsidising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Norway

The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars and utility vans are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars.[6] As an example, by early 2013 the price of the top selling Nissan Leaf is 240,690 kroner (around US$42,500) while the purchase price of the 1.3-lt Volkswagen Golf is 238,000 kroner (about US$42,000).[11] Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes.[6][50] These incentives are in effect until the end of 2017 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved.[6]

"it will never" .. its just as stupid to say something like "everything is already invented".

Once the cars will be on par with other normal cars, people will choose them. BMW 3 Series, fully electric, same price as a 330i, 500km range, then many people will choose it, just because they will save an insane amount on gasoline alone. I've already ordered the Tesla Model 3. I'm looking forward to sleep behind the wheel, going to work :D

On 7/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, zzidenn said:

This whole idea works well with the current development. As i can tell by the " american" comments, you guys should read more news.... just this week countries like france and the uk have started talking about banning the sales of fuel or diesel powered cars by 2040, some scandinavian countries as early as 2025 I heard on the news. China has also mentioned that they want to increase the numbers of electric vehicles over the next years.

German car manufacturers other than bmw have also announced to focus much more on e-mobility ( seems amusing though in the aftermath of the fraudulent exhaust data scandal and the latest scandal) for example VW exports around 30% of their vehicles to China, hence getting the pressure from Beijing to come up with electric cars. 

Americans are so wasteful, who wants to drive 900 km in a single go anyway? most small european cars can do 400-500 km with a single tank, bigger ones a bit more....

i think 300 km is totally reasonable, but powerstations have to be readily available. the goal seems to be a quick recharge in 30 minutes. 

we should all applaud to the idea of clean air!

only problem is the needed electricity, but since Thailand is actually quite forward thinking and sustainable, it should be ok

Why did they pick 2040?

It is so far out in the future, so when 2035 comes around, they can always move it down the road to 2050, then 2060.

Oil will be the king of the road for as long as you and me are around, even thought you are still in your diapers.

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why did they pick 2040?

It is so far out in the future, so when 2035 comes around, they can always move it down the road to 2050, then 2060.

Oil will be the king of the road for as long as you and me are around, even thought you are still in your diapers.

LOL. No, most (new) cars will run on electricity within 2030. 13 years from now. There might be some fancy sportcars, military trucks and some other special transportation vehicles running on oil. Cars for the masses will be fully automated and fully electrical. 

11 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

"it will never" .. its just as stupid to say something like "everything is already invented".

Once the cars will be on par with other normal cars, people will choose them. BMW 3 Series, fully electric, same price as a 330i, 500km range, then many people will choose it, just because they will save an insane amount on gasoline alone. I've already ordered the Tesla Model 3. I'm looking forward to sleep behind the wheel, going to work :D

Why don't you look at solar panel installations, which were booming a few years ago, but have stopped now because the subsidies have stopped.

Many people who installed them regret it now.

Same will happen with the electric cars in Norway, because if you read the link I posted, they mention already the incentives will be reduced in the near future.

Not sure if you will ever sleep behind the wheel, I think it will more be dreaming.

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why don't you look at solar panel installations, which were booming a few years ago, but have stopped now because the subsidies have stopped.

Many people who installed them regret it now.

Same will happen with the electric cars in Norway, because if you read the link I posted, they mention already the incentives will be reduced in the near future.

Not sure if you will ever sleep behind the wheel, I think it will more be dreaming.

Doesnt matter if the intensives are going away if your're getting a better product. Have you ever tried an electric car with autopilot and torque figures like a train locomotive?  I guess not. I have, and its a wicked experience. The Volt, BMW i3, and all Teslas. All great vehicles. Thats just the start. All new Volvos will come with electric motors. Benz have fully electric models, Toyota is coming. Audi is on the market. VW has a fully electric Golf. This has all happened in a few years. If you don't see whats happening, maybe you're looking in the wrong direction... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_cars_currently_available

I remember people laughed at me when I got a mobile phone in 1993. They said it was tacky and stupid. And who needed one?? Which to my reply was, you will all have one in the near future. And guess what, I was right. I feel I am going to be right this time as well. 

Edited by mortenaa

14 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

LOL. No, most (new) cars will run on electricity within 2030. 13 years from now. There might be some fancy sportcars, military trucks and some other special transportation vehicles running on oil. Cars for the masses will be fully automated and fully electrical. 

If you include hybrids, then we can agree, but they are still petrol cars in my world.

The 100% Tesla type electric vehicles will be a tiny fraction of the 1.5 billion cars on the road globally in 2030.

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

If you include hybrids, then we can agree, but they are still petrol cars in my world.

The 100% Tesla type electric vehicles will be a tiny fraction of the 1.5 billion cars on the road globally in 2030.

That I can agree on, but new car sales will be close to 50%. Maybe even higher. Let's have a debate in 2025. 

8 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

That I can agree on, but new car sales will be close to 50%. Maybe even higher. Let's have a debate in 2025. 

Yeah, lets check again in 2025. My next car is most likely a BMW 5 series plug in hybrid, it really have a nice power train. Looks like even the greenest of green still only project 10% of cars on the road will have some sort of electric component.

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Global_EV_Outlook_2016.pdf

EV Cars.jpg

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yeah, lets check again in 2025. My next car is most likely a BMW 5 series plug in hybrid, it really have a nice power train. Looks like even the greenest of green still only project 10% of cars on the road will have some sort of electric component.

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Global_EV_Outlook_2016.pdf

EV Cars.jpg

That's on top of my list also - for Thailand. Or the new X3. I put myself on the list for a Model 3 in Norway, as I probably have to spend a lot of time there as well ... 

20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why did they pick 2040?

Which makes you obviously a proud wearer of adult diapers, if this kind of comment is all you can come up with , sad 

On 8/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, mortenaa said:

While we are waiting, I will like to add that while you very well might be right that 50% of cars will have some form of electric drive by 2025, then it is very likely that only 25% of miles driven will be by these electric vehicles. 

People will probably use the electric cars for short city trip, while petrol (or diesel) vehicles will continue to be used for longer trips or more mile intense industries. 

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

No date and just "working on a timeline". More holes in this store than Swiss cheese.

By the way, the Chinese are banning (soft) cheese:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/10/whiff-of-discontent-as-china-bans-imports-of-soft-european-cheese