The Future, Electric Cars

6 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

interesting. i need to watch that top gear episode.  it would seem the investment into batteries worldwide is considerably greater than into hydrogen production and distribution. batteries for cars are a problem but they can be reused in houses as products like the tesla wall when their efficiency drops. they are almost 100% recyclable.

battery capacity is doubling every 3 to 4 years which means you can halve the weight over that time to have the same amount of power. what weight there is sits very low to the road giving electric cars a very low center of gravity and great handling, not that it is so important in your average family car. electric cars are taking record race times from combustion engines from many race tracks due to excellent acceleration. it is the great acceleration that makes electric cars better for start stop commutes. in fact they are more efficient in that role. look up one pedal driving. the re generative breaking with one pedal driving is very impressive. the fact electric cars have almost zero maintenance is a major selling point for me. the less combustible materials we have around the better as well. 

Google top gear hydrogen car for one of several stories...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

First the oil pumping mafia's would need to be removed from the equation!

Second, longer and higher quality rechargeable cells would be a must...

Third, electricity to power the cars could be solar for instance...

Many alternatives exist to oil and combustive engines... we all know that!

It's just that there are too many interests, money and corruption involved that put a brake on faster developpement of affordable, renewable and sustainable methods of individual transport. 

Big oil mafia is dwarfed by the big green mafia sucking millions out of taxpayers with their subsidies pushing prices through the roof.All to try and control the weather. Kind of deranged to think one can control the weather. The co 2 hoax is on it's last legs now. Just google the many things that require oil and see what the world would look like without it.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

can only find a few clips from 2008. is there anything more recent?

Only that many things have been improved since then. Like California roll out of filling stations. Toyota and others would not be planning to build them without filling stations. A long way to go yet but it will be the future. It will never replace the need for oil which has thousands of other uses. In lab tests they have cracked fusion for the first time. Cost enormous $$$ to make one tiny bit of more power out than put in but proves it is ultimately possible. They scoffed when Kennedy said they would put a man on the moon. In this incredible frenzy of innovation and scientific progress it would be remiss to bog down arguing about the present when the future has so many exciting possibilities. 

40 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Only that many things have been improved since then. Like California roll out of filling stations. Toyota and others would not be planning to build them without filling stations. A long way to go yet but it will be the future. It will never replace the need for oil which has thousands of other uses. In lab tests they have cracked fusion for the first time. Cost enormous $$$ to make one tiny bit of more power out than put in but proves it is ultimately possible. They scoffed when Kennedy said they would put a man on the moon. In this incredible frenzy of innovation and scientific progress it would be remiss to bog down arguing about the present when the future has so many exciting possibilities. 

i have put a bit of time into looking at electric cars as i would like to get one along with solar power for my house. i tried to look into hydrogen powered cars but i cant really find anything recent about them. if anything i think electric will win out just based on the fact that everyone who buys an electric car has a fueling station in their own house.

petrol cars will die out in my lifetime. even the CEO of shell just announced he is getting a plug in hybrid and rolling out fast charging in his petrol stations across europe. now that is progress.

I did some research on Tesla cars. It appears that it would take 16 250 watt solar panels to completely charge the battery. That doesn't sound that bad, BUT,  This would only work if you drove the car at night.

Have two batteries? That sounds logical except the Tesla batteries must be swapped under the car. Not a quick easy job. Using solar panels to charge a car would leave Tesla out in the cold. To use solar charging, cars would need an easily swappable battery system.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have put a bit of time into looking at electric cars as i would like to get one along with solar power for my house. i tried to look into hydrogen powered cars but i cant really find anything recent about them. if anything i think electric will win out just based on the fact that everyone who buys an electric car has a fueling station in their own house.

petrol cars will die out in my lifetime. even the CEO of shell just announced he is getting a plug in hybrid and rolling out fast charging in his petrol stations across europe. now that is progress.

Like I said. It will take time but the roll out will be inevitable. My grand children will be driving hydrogen cars.

3 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

More reasons batteries are not the future...limited resources unlike water

FROM THE DEEPEST DARKEST CONGO … _ Daily Telegraph.htm

It seems this Congo story won't open ....It was about lithium  supply.The Congo has the bulk of it. The battery cars will be held hostage to the crooked Congo leaders until supply eventually runs out. Prices soaring and all that.

13 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

Hydrogen is the future. 

Which still requires huge fossil fuel burning power stations. That being said truck, construction equipment etc cannot run on batteries. Battery vehicles are easy to make and can be sold NOW. The whole battery car thing is another Y2K cash cow. 

21 hours ago, Gary A said:

I did some research on Tesla cars. It appears that it would take 16 250 watt solar panels to completely charge the battery. That doesn't sound that bad, BUT,  This would only work if you drove the car at night.

Have two batteries? That sounds logical except the Tesla batteries must be swapped under the car. Not a quick easy job. Using solar panels to charge a car would leave Tesla out in the cold. To use solar charging, cars would need an easily swappable battery system.

You don't charge the car with solar.  You use solar during the day to add power to the system, and charge the car overnight when the system isn't as heavily loaded.  The big question is what the system will look like.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:57 PM, tryasimight said:

We have never produced more carbon dioxide on this planet than has ever been here since this planet was formed. Fact

The amount of carbon may be fixed, but whether it's in the form of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, or hydrocarbons sitting 2 miles deep in the earth has changed significantly.  

Just like water, it's not the total amount that's changed.  Flooding and sea level changes are distortions caused by changes in where the water is stored.

Oh Dear, everyone is getting carried away on the fake news that vehicles will all become electric - absolute nonsense!!!! - electric power is an interim technology until hydrogen power becomes mainstream.

Toyota already have hydrogen cars in production and available for purchase.

All other manufacturers will have advanced prototypes running around .

Please don't give me the old red herring that there are no refuelling stations for

hydrogen, that's what was said before the fetish for electrics became mainstream

My idea may be silly or not practical because I am not an engineer (electric), nevertheless I will just say it. We see oil tanker transporting petroleum to overseas countries., so if you have a huge grid charged with solar energy then load on board the ship and transport them to countries to sell to them. It will be designed for easy unloading at the port terminal and the company will rent the port terminal area to distribute the electricity to companies who buy them.

It's clean energy compare to petrol. Again middle east countries will benefit because they have are nearer to Europe and they have lots of sunshine. Really God must have love them more than others.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:34 PM, tpinvest said:

Oh Dear, everyone is getting carried away on the fake news that vehicles will all become electric - absolute nonsense!!!! - electric power is an interim technology until hydrogen power becomes mainstream.

Please don't give me the old red herring that there are no refuelling stations for

hydrogen, that's what was said before the fetish for electrics became mainstream

Agreed - absolutely correct tpinvest. Supports my earlier post when I said I believed hydrogen powered cars were already in production and good to hear Toyota are leading the way. Wake up Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and the rest!

6 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Be funny to see how those 3litre clonker engined truck drivers would manage something that gets to 120 in under 10 minutes.?emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

most-czech-republic-30th-aug-2015-fia-eu

Yes as they are limited to 100.

On 7/30/2017 at 4:34 PM, tpinvest said:

Problem is economics.  You still have to separate hydrogen from water, and that takes power.  Or from methane, and that's still evil petroleum.  Then you have to compress the gas to a very high pressure.  Then you have to store that relatively low energy density compressed, highly explosive gas.  Not only in the refueling station (assuming you're making the hydrogen on site), but also in vehicles zipping around and subject to collisions.  

Hydrogen may be the end game, but the technology to make it mainstream is many years and a few more oil price bubbles out in the future.  Electric, clunky as it may be in its current form, is already here.

On 30/07/2017 at 3:34 PM, tpinvest said:

I have just done a little research on Google and came up with this.

Of course there are hydrogen refuelling stations world wide.

There will be over 5,000 by 2032 according to this report.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108575_world-to-have-5000-hydrogen-fueling-stations-by-2032-study

Hydrogen fueling stations are vastly more expensive, and there is also the matter of where to get the hydrogen they dispense.

DON'T MISS: SimpleFuel home hydrogen fuel dispenser wins $1 million DoE prize

That may be why a new report predicts the number of global hydrogen fueling stations will remain relatively small over the next 15 years.

The world will have 4,808 hydrogen fueling stations in 2032, up from just 285 in 2016, according to a study by Information Trends (via Computerworld).

The study also predicts U.S. hydrogen fueling stations will number 78 by the end of this year, 197 by 2022, and 1,208 by 2032.

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html

38 hydrogen stations

in the United States

Excluding private stations

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/m25-hydrogen-brings-britain-closer-zero-carbon-motoring-first/

It’s built, owned and operated by Sheffield-based energy tech company ITM Power, which has worked closely with oil giant Shell to bring the project online. This welcome addition to the M25 is ITM’s third such site, and one that the firm is clearly very proud of.

“It’s a great moment for ITM,” says CEO Dr Graham Cooley. “We’ve been planning this for a very long time.”

Google top gear hydrogen car for one of several stories...

According to the good people at MIT Technology Review.

"There are many reasons not to embrace hydrogen. The fuel is usually made from natural gas in a process that emits large quantities of greenhouse gases. Attempts to create hydrogen cleanly and affordably at scale have proven unsuccessful so far, and, as Elon Musk has strenuously argued, the alternative approach of using electricity to break down water into hydrogen is inefficient. And for consumers, the overwhelming lack of infrastructure for refueling has proven to be a deal-breaker.

And yet the fuel does have one incredibly appealing feature: unlike charging an electric car, a fuel cell vehicle can be refueled and moving again in minutes. That's of particular interest in industrial and defense applications."

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604115/the-fuel-cell-isnt-dead-yet/

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well Shell's CEO believe fossils fuel demands will start decline in the 2030's.

And his next car will be electric.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-27/shell-ceo-van-beurden-says-his-next-car-will-be-electric

Billions of cars/trucks/bikes each running their own little combustion engines will have to stop soon or we will destroy our Planet/health. I am not saying battery driven road vehicles is the way forward unless some major break-though happens in battery technology.

Electric  cars were the first cars on the road. They were superceded by petrol cars when the Dynamo was invented at the early part of the twentieth century. I have an invention that I plan developing that will recharge electric car batteries while they are driven. As engineering is maths based and not hitec. It is guaranteed to work. When licenced it will NOT be allowed to be used in the production of motor vehicles made in Thailand. Unless it changes it laws in the treatment and abuse of foreigners. So Thais will just have to pay high import taxes on imported foreign cars. This will happen long before the European cut off date for oil based fuel car production.

Electric cars are the future, and nuclear is the way to go to provide that power - end of story. The solar/wind industries will tell you otherwise, but they are false. Plenty of evidence to support that on the web. And what is also there on the web is plenty of evidence to support nuclear (and plenty of lunatic environmentalist rubbish).

Nuclear has come a long way since 1970s - the design and construction is now extremely safe. Storage of the 'waste' is another issue, but that is continually being improved. And with the potential for nuclear fusion getting ever closer, the problem of waste storage almost disappears. Nuclear power for mainstream power is the answer and electric cars are the answer for the current petrol/diesel polluters.  

Electric cars are almost there, but the battery technology is a long way from being good. But as with mobile phones, once the demand and market size increases, the technology will improve significantly and quickly.  

IMO it is just a matter of time.  A mate of mine owns a top of the range Tesla all electric car, and it is as good as any car I have ever been in or driven. Current problem is costs and range - but they are getting better every year. Right now they are not mainstream, like mobile phones in the 80s, but they will be one day.