Breaking the contract with internet provider before the terms

mrnike

Hi guys,

I recently moved in to a new place, made a contract (on my name) with AIS for the fibre, but after 2 weeks we moved out of this place.

Today, my girlfriend and i went to AIS and asked whether we could break the contract, as AIS is not available in the new building where we now leave. They replied i had to pay 2400thb.

As i don't want to loose more money (i already lost a lot by moving out of the first place) I'm just wandering what would happen if i would just not pay a baht and not return the router (as they probabely would make more problems if i would walk to a shop to return it, telling them that i want to cancel the contract) ? 

Would i just ruin my credit history (which i wouldnt care, as I'm never gonna ask for a credit in this country) or run into more troubles?

Cheers.

Edited by mrnike

You made a contract, do the right thing and pay it. You never know when you may need them in the future. You left the last place in 2 weeks what if that happens again and the next place is AIS? 

Dont make it problematic for the rest of us. Do the right thing and pay your dues, then proceed free and clear.

Well how long do you think this place will last

So you have the box so why not just pay for 1 mth then if you are liking the place pay up or no doubt you will move again & might end up with AIS

Is it likely the unit will be rented quickly ? & if so when/if the new Tenant decides to connect to AIS they may contact you concerning your connection in that unit

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

ISP providers cannot enforce period based contracts according to Thai law. They will, of course, tell you the contrary, but you need to tell them you know your rights and refuse to pay.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Reference? 

I hope the reference is more than the "opinion/interpretation of this one Thai online lawyer" talked about in this previous news article.   Maybe he's right; maybe he's wrong.  Even if right, Thai ISPs seem to pretty much follow the contract which the subscriber signed.

The 2400 THB doesn’t sound that unreasonable, getting the Fiber-optic cable to your place had likely a higher price tag.

You signed a contract with AIS for the period of 12 months, and it would be very easy for AIS to show that they made extensive cost to connect you to the Internet. Because AIS invested money, equipment and man-hour to connect you, therefore they can enforce the contract you signed.

If for example you move into a house and the house already has a TOT telephone cable and you apply for TOT telephone service …. you can easily get around the one year contract, as TOT or other telephone company did little to no investment to connect.

Still I would just pay, you agreed to something and you should stick to your word.

Just send them the router in the post without return address and a letter saying you're canceling service effective xxx date and say that they have your permission to keep the security deposit. That keeps it as a one sided conversation and gives you the sense of closure you likely want.

2,400 baht is small money – even when one has small money only – you made an agreement or contract, fulfill it; because you probably wish other to fulfill their agreements with you...:smile:

Yes it's not much

You lost a lot on the first place - did you break that contract as well or did they just keep the bond

& now your moving out of a place again " as above "

It's costing me 2500 bht + just to get me & the car on the road - a bit like if you want it you pay if you dont you get to keep your money ( & you wanted it )

It's a contract.  They offered you a service, you accepted their offer and provided them with consideration for their service, and you both entered the contract willingly.

You're on the hook for 2400 THB.  Pay it and file it under "Lessons Learned."