Sticky labels - removal of ?

Andrew Dwyer

I have these UPVC doors with a sticky label on each (7 of them) and the problem is that these labels have been on for 2 years according to date on label.

The problem is that when I try to remove them they will not come off easily, even peeling really slowly still doesn't work, and they leave this residue ( see 2nd photo ).

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

I've tried an old scotchbrite pad and some mild detergent on the back of one door but still no joy.

Any ideas ?, suggestions ?, rude remarks ?

I was going to recommend Goo Gone, but this is Thailand, so it may not be available.

Here's a thread on TVF opened up long ago that may be of interest:  

Thanks for that, plenty of ideas there, I'll leave the mayonnaise till last resort !! [emoji51]

One of my pet hates of Thailand, sticky labels, definitely not user friendly. 

There is a product available but unfortunately I have run out and don't recall the name - but the residue left behind is nearly as bad as the label. Seems you can't win. 

Soft approach for the remains: get a rubber/remover of the light grey/soft type (don't know the English term).

Now rub diligently, wiping the remains repeatedly.

Another soft approach would be heating the label up with a blow-dryer or blow-torch before removing.

When heated the stuff is usually easier to remove.

Could also help with  the remains only,

The killer: nail polish remover (acetone).

BUT: try first at a hidden corner whether the UPVC withstands this liquid.

I remembered I had a can of Sonax ( similar to WD40 ), gave that a go........nothing, not a sausage, nada !!

Girded my loins ( what ? ) grabbed the gf's nail varnish remover and cotton pads and.......... Hey Presto !!

That's done the trick, and at 15 baht a bottle no complaints from me.

IMG_3280.JPG

One of my pet hates of Thailand, sticky labels, definitely not user friendly. 
There is a product available but unfortunately I have run out and don't recall the name - but the residue left behind is nearly as bad as the label. Seems you can't win. 

Yeah, I'm definitely ocd about sticky labels.
These are a real pain, I try to ease off the top paper layer gently but it's stuck like sh1t to a blanket, so it's a wet sponge and a wallpaper scraper before I even get down to the sticky/gluey bit !!

On the other hand though when the sticky labels come off in one piece with no sticky residue it does give a certain amount of satisfaction !! [emoji4]

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yeah, I'm definitely ocd about sticky labels.
These are a real pain, I try to ease off the top paper layer gently but it's stuck like sh1t to a blanket, so it's a wet sponge and a wallpaper scraper before I even get down to the sticky/gluey bit !!

On the other hand though when the sticky labels come off in one piece with no sticky residue it does give a certain amount of satisfaction !! emoji4.png

think some of them are security - can't peel-off and replace it with another before checkout