Getting Internet into my new house

Pilotman

I could do with some pointers please. My new house is 8 miles north of Sattahip, on the 331, so not so remote.  There is no fibre cable connection to the estate and apparently  no landlines, although I find that difficult to believe, but that is what I am being told.  I need to connect to the internet on a daily basis at my home and it needs to be fast enough to steam video, such as Netflix. We are having satellite TV installed, True Visions Gold package, but that doesn't help much..  My choice seems to have narrowed to having a dongle and sim for the laptops and  maybe a  mobile dongle driven modem for the house.  Is that true?  As you appreciate, although I am software literate, I don't know much about the hardware aspects of getting online and installing a wifi system.  I intend to go to the Pattaya's IT  Center tomorrow to try to make sens of all this,  but any advice will be greatly appreciated. Please keep the tech language simple!   . 

Go to any of the main providers. Tell them where you live and ask them what the options are. In addition there is also a "wi-net" service which basically is a pole with a receiver and you receive it wireless.(I have it).There are no cables etc as I am in the sticks but the Wi-Net works fine. Available from TOT and others.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Go to any of the main providers. Tell them where you live and ask them what the options are. In addition there is also a "wi-net" service which basically is a pole with a receiver and you receive it wireless.(I have it).There are no cables etc as I am in the sticks but the Wi-Net works fine. Available from TOT and others.

Many  thanks. That may explain the aerial on my neighbours house.  My wife has been doing the asking and I'm not sure she is either asking the right question or understanding the answers she is getting.  Another good reason to learn to speak and read Thai fluently. 

Go and talk to neigbours and guage how many would like internet. Go to providers if no one has internet and ask them to visit. If they know they will have a few customers they are usually keen to connect. CAT recently did a free connection to my house because two others in the Soi also wanted fibre. I don't live near you ?

Keep an eye out for service provider trucks working in the area.  The guys that climb the poles.  Have a thai talk to them about what is around, where the nearest service is to your home.  They know, they work it daily.  I would not take the word of the ladies in the service provider offices as truth; most don't know and are more interested in Line and lunch.  

Once you find out what the nearest box/connection is, go from there.  Then you can go back to that service provider that is near and tell them you want their service run to your house.  It's not that expensive to have a line run to your house, if you're willing to pay.  I had to do that with copper.  DSL was lousy, between 3mb-5mb download, but as long as it was steady more than enough to stream with.   Got lucky and someone had fibre run nearby in the last year, I had them run a line from the box to my house.  Now things are good.  Usually.  They draped the fibre line over at least one tree branch to get to my house.  :post-4641-1156693976:   TIT.

You have to TELL the girls in these offices what you want, once you know what's available.  Their first response is always "mai dai" or "mai mee".  But if you can say "there's service two blocks from me, I would like a line run to my home" then they have something they can work with and call in the 2nd tier people to discuss.  Good luck.  

Edited by bubba45

well what a day.  TOT are useless and the girls staffing the desks are hopeless.  I got more sense from AIS in Central Plaza.  The chap there was very helpful and informative, what a  contrast to the idiots in TOT.   The AIS chap confirms the very helpful comments here to my post , so thanks to everyone fro your advice. Once I get this sorted, if I ever do, I will re-post the information for others.

I have lived without internet for the majority of my life, so it should not be such a big deal,  I came here to live a simpler life than I did in the UK;  perhaps this is God's way of telling me how to do that !!  

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Have you tried the TOT office in Sattahip? Near the lake/park.

I did, and I didn't get anywhere.  Will try again as I'm sure that the girl was on medication, although my wife insisted that she  was just plain stupid.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Once again demonstrating the lack of consistency anywhere. I bet you could retrace your steps and get a totally different experience next week. :smile: (TIT)

how depressing is that fact! 

In the short term work on a wireless setup.  But again, you have to talk to the guys working on the street.  They know; what did I tell you about the service provider offices/staff?   5555

It will take a little time, but if you can have your wife talk to the linemen, you'll get the info you need.  They're out and about pretty much every day, so just make that effort and it will pay off.  It did for me.

Do you get AIS 3G or 4G signal?

AIS has 4Mbps unlimited (unmetered) 3G/4G package for 450 baht + VAT.

You can use your phone or an aircard / mifi (wireless pocket aircard with battery) device for better signal coverage.

They also have 6Mbps 1 week for 189 baht package but they don't advertise.

However, 4mbps is pretty good and fast for overall.

If you have more money to spare, you can buy 2 devices and can get 8mbps using 2 aircards or a special router that supports up to 4 aircards for load balancing.

AIS also does bursting so you get max speed for 1-2 seconds (websites loads faster) and then speed reduces to 4 mbps and stays there.

Netflix would work in 720p or perhaps low 1080p settings with 4mbps package (6 would be better if one can find it's code)

5 minutes ago, muratremix said:

You can use your phone or an aircard / mifi (wireless pocket aircard with battery) device for better signal coverage.

If you have more money to spare, you can buy 2 devices and can get 8mbps using 2 aircards or a special router that supports up to 4 aircards for load balancing.

AIS also does bursting so you get max speed for 1-2 seconds (websites loads faster) and then speed reduces to 4 mbps and stays there.

Netflix would work in 720p or perhaps low 1080p settings with 4mbps package (6 would be better if one can find it's code)

I have the AIS 1 Mbps now and Youtube runs at 480p, going to upgrade to 4mbps next week at new cycle and I am pretty sure Netflix would have few issues (I don't use it). I pay for AIS WIFI separately for 69 baht per month but I think if I upgrade I will just use the 4mbps plan when out and about. It is truly unlimited too...they have been my best in BKK so far.

On 01/08/2017 at 10:19 AM, muratremix said:

Thanks to you and Tonray.  I have purchased the mobile router and will fit the AIS sim next week.  I get a good 4G signal at the house, so it should work.  Your advice on prices is most helpful so many thanks.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

AIS could be offering 6mbps postpaid unlimited data for 600 thb/month + vat.

for 1-2 call it is 189 thb+vat/week (no monthly option yet)

I would be willing to bet it isn't truly unlimited for that price.... 

You will find out that it gets slow to the point of unusable after you've taken your allocated quota even though they said it was "unlimited",  watching Netflix on a big tv  @ 4k  will burn up your monthly quota in a day :smile:

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I would be willing to bet it isn't truly unlimited for that price.... 

You will find out that it gets slow to the point of unusable after you've taken your allocated quota even though they said it was "unlimited",  watching Netflix on a big tv  @ 4k  will burn up your monthly quota in a day :smile:

There is no quota. Only limitation is speed.

9 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Why would they? Unless, you download 7/24 non stop and abusing network.

Because 4g bandwidth  is relatively expensive and streaming hd video uses about 3GB per hour... 

You would  be abusing a 4g connection without even trying if you tried to use it as a TV.... :smile:

The problem is that they said it was unlimited so they won't cut you off but

They will throttle the speed down so low

It takes a minute to open an email.. 

I always recommend talking with neighbors as they'll know what's available.

TOT WiNET and AIS AirNet are often good solutions in newly built developments, until fiber is brought in.

I doubt mobile data will address most high-consumption/bandwidth requirements for more than a few days.

On 07/08/2017 at 5:58 PM, speedtripler said:

Because 4g bandwidth  is relatively expensive and streaming hd video uses about 3GB per hour... 

You would  be abusing a 4g connection without even trying if you tried to use it as a TV.... :smile:

The problem is that they said it was unlimited so they won't cut you off but

They will throttle the speed down so low

It takes a minute to open an email.. 

The problem with your theory is that you cannot download 3GB in an hour on a 6 Mbps connection. 

No throttling. Throttled packages state a limit after which the connection will be throttled. These aren't throttled in that manner. They are either speed limited or they are not.

All allowances are for personal use only and not to be used for commercial purposes or in any way that affects other customers.

AIS.JPG